Jorge Garrido ("El Estepario Siberiano")

I stumbled upon this YT Short of a drummer (forgot his name) playing blindfolded! The review guy just shakes his head in disbelief. I did too. I'm lucky if I could play this Drum Intro without a Mask and with both Hands to 75% success level.

Check out his new band ‘The Cost’…the shorts are just goofing around (though he’s obviously bloody good at it!)! Great drummer with incredible 4 limb independence and unbelievable showmanship…:)(y)

I stumbled upon this YT Short of a drummer (forgot his name) playing blindfolded! The review guy just shakes his head in disbelief. I did too. I'm lucky if I could play this Drum Intro without a Mask and with both Hands to 75% success level.

More in this thread:

Honestly the blindfolded part doesn't impress me much, I play at a modest level but I can play just as well (or almost) staring at something/someone else than at the spot I'm about to hit. I think I can play a whole song blindfolded, it's just muscle memory.
I don't want to make any other claims though regarding technique and playing single handed 😁

Finding the bell is probably the hardest. I'll give it a try tonight.

Last edited:
I have/do practice in a completely darkand room occasionally. It's kinda like having a different vantage point. It's not that hard and depends on how familiar you are with your kit and whether you switch your configuration up a lot.

But the video was impressive 👍

Reactions: I-P
The one-handed drumming is fantastic. As for the playing blindfolded, to me that is not difficult. I have had audience members come to me and say I look like I am sleeping behind the drums because my eyes are closed. The first time it happened, I was confused, I didn't remember closing my eyes. When I went back for the next set I realized the bright stage lights were in my eyes and I was closing my eyes to avoid the lights.

The one-handed drumming is fantastic. As for the playing blindfolded, to me that is not difficult. I have had audience members come to me and say I look like I am sleeping behind the drums because my eyes are closed. The first time it happened, I was confused, I didn't remember closing my eyes. When I went back for the next set I realized the bright stage lights were in my eyes and I was closing my eyes to avoid the lights.

yeah...I usually find my self in 2 situations where I have to play "blind"

1. no lights on the drums at all; back corner of small stage in dive bar basement
2. stage lights directly in my eyes the whole time; I can see my snare if I look down at it....

both are the "throwing and hoping" type gigs for sure

Honestly the blindfolded part doesn't impress me much, I play at a modest level but I can play just as well (or almost) staring at something/someone else than at the spot I'm about to hit. I think I can play a whole song blindfolded, it's just muscle memory.
I don't want to make any other claims though regarding technique and playing single handed 😁

Finding the bell is probably the hardest. I'll give it a try tonight.
We had a practice spot in a basement room, because of vibrations the only lightbulb kept getting loose and the light would go off, we didn't stop playing (as a band) and nobody missed a beat. Granted we practiced daily for almost 2 years so we could play any of those songs blindfolded or with no light.

yeah...I usually find my self in 2 situations where I have to play "blind"

1. no lights on the drums at all; back corner of small stage in dive bar basement
2. stage lights directly in my eyes the whole time; I can see my snare if I look down at it....

both are the "throwing and hoping" type gigs for sure
The other situation could be like what happened to me one time. The bar owner had a new fog machine that he set next to my kit, he let it rip (which is supposed to be for a few seconds then stop), instead he walked away and the machine went until it ran out of fog fluid.... needless to say it was impossible to see anything on that stage and a few tables around it for the next few minutes. but we kept playing as our loose lightbulb training prepared us for.

The other situation could be like what happened to me one time. The bar owner had a new fog machine that he set next to my kit, he let it rip (which is supposed to be for a few seconds then stop), instead he walked away and the machine went until it ran out of fog fluid.... needless to say it was impossible to see anything on that stage and a few tables around it for the next few minutes. but we kept playing as our loose lightbulb training prepared us for.

oh man...and the smell of that old school fog juice....I always had a headache after gigs with those things

I look forward to watching this after work, when I can see it (no pun intended), as our work PC's block YouTube content. Sounds cool.

Even as a bar band hack, I can play with my eyes closed, tho not at any crazy high level. As others have noted, there are many times I catch myself doing so, especially when the lights are in my eyes directly. Glad I don't have to do it all the time tho!

Once you're accustomed to your set up playing it blindfold shouldn't be that difficult. I'm pretty sure I can play mine blindfolded-I sure can closing my eyes. Anyways he is impressive-I really like his hands better than the foot work. I wonder are both hands as agile with dexterity so he can do the same with either? I find my left hand is my stronger hand with single handed rolls and it's not my dominant hand. I'd like to try and develop my right like his. All the stick flipping and tricks are really cool and impressive but tbh I really just enjoy watching him play. When I watch videos like his it makes me want to be a better man.

Has anyone else seen this drummer?

My goodness, he is just technically a total joy to watch.

He's all over YouTube and his single stroke rolls and his double pedal work is mind boggling.

He doesn't seem to take himself too seriously......he occasionally smokes cigarettes while he's playing which probably is a bit naff on YouTube.........but I just find him quite entertaining.

The link is just a sample of what his vibe is about.

Oh Yeah! He's fantastic in his own right!

El Estepario is teaching a 30 day independence course on Drumeo starting Monday May 6th, 2024. I signed up! Not sure how I'm going to like the course at my age, lol. I suspect it will be geared for younger players, not retirees, but I could be wrong. 🤪

So is he the Olympic drummer with chops folks were trashing on another thread:LOL:;):unsure::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

El Estepario is teaching a 30 day independence course on Drumeo starting Monday May 6th, 2024. I signed up! Not sure how I'm going to like the course at my age, lol. I suspect it will be geared for younger players, not retirees, but I could be wrong. 🤪
Don't concentrate on so much your age. It's your drive that keeps you drummin'!

I've said it before on this forum and I'll say it to you...

"You're never too old to be Young and You're never too old to Drum!"

Back