jojo mayer new pedal: VIDEO FROM MUSIKMESSE

Re: Sonor Perfect Balance Pedal (JoJo Mayer)

Not so much excited about the new pedal, but Jojo already has an absolutely fierce bass drum foot. I'm really interested what new things he's gonna play now that he has a pedal that won't get in the way of what his foot wants to do. Remember, he was doing incredible things in '05 with what looked like an old Pearl pedal on the Modern Drummer DVD. I'd be happy with a 10th of his foot technique!

Calling this over-engineered is ridiculous. It's using a lot of principles that have been around forever and simply consolidating them while adding that folding/clamping mechanism that seems pretty cool and rather useful. I love my Iron Cobras, but I've always loved the exceptionally light feel that Jojo is talking about, and I know he's been known to leave his springs outrageously loose like I've always liked, though I've tightened them up recently to try and readjust to how that feels and not be a one-trick pony with the way I approach different pedal techniques.

I do guarantee that for what this is it would be outrageously priced though. It's got a major artist backing it, involved with the design process, and it's an upper level Sonor product. They're my major drum company of choice... but you will ALWAYS pay a ridiculous premium for their higher end products.

I'd like to give one a shot, this sounds EXACTLY like the kind of pedal I'd want.

$299-$349 my guess. No thanks.

It might be even higher than that. I play a center pedal design, when I play double. Years ago, the only contenders (that I could get my feet on), were the Sonor (I didn't like it) and the Off-Set (that's the one I bought). A few years later, Sleishman found their way into the NAMM show. I got to try out their pedal, and fell in love. Sold the Off-Set, bought a Sleishman. Now, the Sonor http://www.indoorstorm.com/Sonor_Drum_Pedal_Giant_Step_Double_Bass_Middle_Right_Gmp-p-2270.html costs over $1300. MSRP $2689.95. Sheeeesh! Drum sets cost less than $1300. My Off-Set pedals and my Sleishman pedals combined price, came in at under $1300.​
Now, Sonor makes top notch stuff, no doubt. But reality .... of all the drummers I know, not one plays a Sonor pedal. Axis, Trick, DW, Iron Cobra, Speed King, Pearl, Yamaha, Gibraltar .... yup, I know guys who own them, play them, and I've played them ! But not one cat I know plays a Sonor pedal. They just don't seem to sell well, in the US. Overseas, maybe a different story.​
And, I'll stand by my marketing BS statement, VG. If harryconway had come up with this same idea, Sonor wouldn't give a rats a$$ about it (or me). But Jojo is their "golden boy", so he comes up with an idea, and Sonor thinks it might sell, and bam. New pedal on the market. I've seen Jojo play. At a NAMM show, I was so close to his feet (he was up on a 5' drum riser, doing a pedal demo) I coulda touched his right heel. Of course, he was playing Giant Step pedals. But, you know what, he coulda been playing vintage Camco pedals, and he woulda been just as good. The guy is simply a monster. So .... time will tell. If this pedal takes the world by storm, or not. It took about 5 years, for the Axis to really "hit its stride". I have nothing but time on my side. And I have a feeling this pedal, like all Sonor pedals before it, will remain fairly obscure.​

The clamping mechanism is overkill.
That will turn out to be the weak link in this pedal design.
To many moving parts to perform a simple task always means trouble.

This is true when you think about it.

I myself wouldn't have a problem with it, but take some *slightly* intoxicated drummer who in a moment of frustration with the band hurrying to set-up amidst a burning crowd- Not their kit, using their new Jo-Jo pedal... they over-tighten the clamp screw, push forward to mount-up and the mechanism breaks. Damn Sam!!

JoJo says in the vid, "Be careful not to over tighten the clamping screw, or it could damage the mechanism."

If that thing breaks PERFECT BALANCE is un useable, its not like a standard pedal that could limp through a show w/o a hoop clamp. You'd be screwed with a capital 'S', and try and fix that thing, looks specific, or anyway.... nobody'd be fixing it onstage.

I like the feature, but clearly its the pedals shining achilles heel.

So with further thought Im going to have to downgrade my statement in post #10 from "The folding design is bloody ace." to- SONOR took a 'giant step' here toward making the perfect hoop clamp mechanism, but still not there.

.... of all the drummers I know, not one plays a Sonor pedal.

Its mainly price, they're overpriced (coming form Germany) compared to the other stuff. The GIANT STEP is a nice pedal, but in the US drummers will opt for something cheaper that's as good, or better.

If harryconway had come up with this same idea, Sonor wouldn't give a rats a$$ about it (or me). But Jojo is their "golden boy", so he comes up with an idea, and Sonor thinks it might sell, and bam.

Aww HARRY, forget those SONOR guys, you're our golden boy here on the DW forum.

Last edited:

You're right HC, Sonor's Giant Step single pedal is sale priced at $595. I found an obscure, to me, dealer. Yikes!

The reason why there is a warning about over tightening the clamp adjuster is because you can't feel the tension when installing the pedal.
You have leverage from pushing the stirrup forward to lock the clamp.
That can put a tremendous amount of force on the hoop.
The thing is a mouse trap.
I stand by my original statement about the pedal being over engineered.
All that Sonor has done is they reinvented the wheel and they made it complicated for no reason. A wheel is the perfect simple machine, It needs no improvement.

Sometimes I wish I could just read about a new product, rather than having to sift through a pile of videos.

Re: jojo mayer new pedal

Jojo was never really fully satisfied with all pedals he used over the years. So he started to handicraft own pedals consisting of parts from several brands.

Now after many years of experimenting he developed his very own pedal and realised it with the help of Sonor.

This is in my opinion a fine partnership and not to compare with all these signature stuff out there, just putting a label on a snaredrum, which the artist himself doesn't like and never play.....

Just yesterday i met Jojo and saw his appearance at the Musikmesse in Frankfurt. A great performance - and be sure: the pedal works - wow!!! I had permission to shoot some footage and i will put it up on Drummerworld soon.

Of course Jojo don't claim to have invented the wheel for the second time, but it's a fine great pedal for all his needs.

If you start practicing with this pedal, you can be sure it's not the materials fault, when you have some difficulties to achieve Jojo's skills.

By the way:
I don't understand all these fundamental critics here from wise esperts i'm sure they NEVER EVER played or tested the pedal in reality - a little bit unfair, isn't it?

Bernhard

Attachments

• jojomayer780.jpg
    jojomayer780.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 5,470
  • jojomayerff12-1.jpg
    jojomayerff12-1.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 5,171
  • jojomayerff12-12.jpg
    jojomayerff12-12.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 5,217
  • jojomayerff12-34.jpg
    jojomayerff12-34.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 5,199
Last edited:

I tested that pedal yesterday. According to SONOR the price will be around 249 Euros (didn't ask in USD, but my guess is around 349).

They had 3 or 4 of those pedals mounted to the floor, with HQ RealFeel kick practice pads to test them with (exactly the practice pad I'm using, and liking). Well the pedal does everything it's supposed to. It's a rigid construction in the SONOR quality one can expect. The spring tension was more on the loose side - not quite my taste but I didn't want to mess with the spring tension and left it as is. Ok, now I know how this pedal feels. You have to try out for yourself! It's sure no pedal (because there is no such pedal) which will make you "better" in an instant - no magic involved.

I also had the chance to try it today. My first impression was that it is really light, I actually had to put the spring tension almost to maximum to be comfortable with it. I use normally medium tension. But altogether it's a good pedal, I was quite impressed with the speed of it.
Make sure you try it before you buy it, because as I said for me was first a bit uncomfortable with it's lightness. So it might not be for everyone.

Sweet looking pedal and excellent video!!! Thanks Bernhard :)

Oh man....Can't wait to test drive this pedal

I think most people would agree that the securing mechanism is just a bit too much... To be honest, it is not important to be able to set up a pedal in say 10 seconds, as opposed to 20 seconds with a regular tightening mechanism.

Nevertheless, I'm sure it has great playing abilities but I find the mounting extremely unneccesary.

I think I'll just hold out till I'm 85 when my single IC gives out then snipe this pedal off the Bay from someone who is disappointed they can't pull off JoJo licks with it.

pretty sure that despite the differences in exchange rate, the price on the pedal will be 249 in whatever your local currency may be. i know that all parties involved wanted to keep the price below the 9000 and the Speed Demon.

believe me, Jojo tried and researched almost every bass drum pedal that one can get their hands on in the process of designing this one. the clamp mechanism may seem complicated, but it's really quite simple and secure. i normally use a strap-drive Iron Cobra, and the Jojo is way faster and lighter. if you can already pull of triples and whatnot, this pedal will definitely make your work more efficient, but it won't magically give you the ability to play the intro to "Hot For Teacher" with a single pedal.

Back