John Densmore

The Doors live performance at The Hollywood Bowl in 1968 (video in HQ on YT:
) is one of those rare films to watch The Doors in a live performance, this is especially up close in amazing clarity. Recorded on 7/5/68 but not released until 1987, with the full concert available on DVD in 2012.

This video has around 58 minutes of performance, but also another hour of "extras": interviews with Jim Densmore, Manzarek and Kreiger, discussing what lead up to their performance at the Bowl, what went on during the show, Jim Morrison's performance, mixing and sound techs weighing in, etc.
Fascinating stuff you never found out back in the day. A chance to watch Densmore's drumming closely and hear the kit.

Jim Densmore and Doors fans should love this.

EDIT- 8.22.23- The video is now "blocked" on YouTube by Mercury Studios. If anyone has another link, please post!

Last edited:
When I was younger and playing along to my favorite bands John Densmore was never one of my “heroes”.

Now that I’m old and playing along to Doors tracks I’m realizing how incredible and uniquely talented John Densmore is.

But I never see his name mentioned on this sub.

What are y’all’s feelings?

Top ten best rock drummer ever?

Would love to hear your opinions.

When I was younger and playing along to my favorite bands John Densmore was never one of my “heroes”.

Now that I’m old and playing along to Doors tracks I’m realizing how incredible and uniquely talented John Densmore is.

But I never see his name mentioned on this sub.

What are y’all’s feelings?

Top ten best rock drummer ever?

Would love to hear your opinions.
Densmore is an extremely unique and amazing drummer, he played to the music and served his purpose with a beautiful subtly like most other 'rock' drummers at the time did not. I think so many people were focused on the three in front of him that he got lost in the popularity mix a bit. Especially when compared to other famous drummers of the time who were much more bombastic. Great great drummer. I love how he seamlessly slips between many different styles in one song.

Doesn't this post belong in the drummer's section?

Densmore was never one of my favorites, to be honest. I never thought of his playing as either swinging or relaxed. There are so many other Sixties drummers I liked more.

Densmore is one of those drummers who, regardless of his ability or education, created a chemistry with his bandmates that contributed a great deal to their uniqueness of sound

These days I give Densmore credit 'cuz he played in a band that had no bassist. When I was a teen, I eschewed The Doors because of this; "It's not a real band".

But I secretly loved listening to Light My Fire on late night FM radio (KPRI).

Funny, I was just listening to the Doors last night. I've been a big fan of the Doors even before I really got into drums.

I admit when I was younger I didn't think that much of Densmore because he didn't hit hard like Bonham or Moon. He was a little too "jazzy" for a rock band I thought. But as I've grown, I now really respect him. That he could power that band without hitting hard. That he could be so creative in sneaking in bits of Latin and jazz chops without losing the flavor of being a rock band. And his shuffles are incredible in their feel. I'd have to think many of the great Shufle drummers that came after him were at least in part influenced by Densmore.

I actually think it's kind of odd that, as popular and big as The Doors are, John's name isn't more popular among drummers.

Never really paid much attention to him as a teen until Touch me when I thought this guys cool! man!. His ride on the storm actually made me think what a crappy sounding ride that sounds cool.

His ride on the storm actually made me think what a crappy sounding ride that sounds cool.
+1

His ride did sound...less than stellar. I've wondered if it was due to the recording setup.

I've always liked John Densmore and thought he should have got a little more recognition. Plus he plays open headers like me😁.

That begining of LA Woman where he comes in on the ride then a the rim shot then the beat then throws in just a little tom fill...da-da dada...so tasteful. Just great. Peace Frog is another great one. Probably my favorite doors song.

The only thing I didn't really like about a lot of Doors songs was they often went into these really weird and deep breaks. Most of the songs I like by them don't overdo it on that.

But a really great band just the same. Maybe the most intense band of all time.

I like him, don’t consider him top ten, but I do consider him to be really good. His drumming set the perfect mood for the Doors.

Back