Is there a such thing as a clear ambassador RESONANT?

cky42091

I was in a rush at GC today to pick up 3 new (clear ambassador) resos for my kit. I'm looking at the label now, and it reads "Ambassador, Clear; Weatherking, Batter"
Is this what everyone's using as their resos?
Hoping I don't have to go back...

Yes, you have to go back. Yes, there is such a thing as a clear Ambassador resonant snare head. It's what I have on my snare drum.

Using a batter head as a resonant snare head is wrong, it's just wrong.

Edit: for some reason I thought this was about snare drums. Please excuse my stupidity.

Last edited:
Yes, you have to go back. Yes, there is such a thing as a clear Ambassador resonant snare head. It's what I have on my snare drum.

Isn't that called a hazy ambassador?

These heads are for resos on the TOMS by the way, not snare. We'll see how they sound on the kit on friday...

It's funny, because some years ago, I wondered the same thing and even called my shop asking if I bought the wrong head. Here's the deal:

For your snare drum only, you should be using a Hazy Ambassador on the snare (reso) side.

Clear Ambassadors are used on both sides of toms.

The confusing part is that, as you've discovered, the Clear Ambassador box says "batter" on it. But there aren't different Clear Ambassadors for batter and reso. There is only one head and it's used for both sides.

So if you wanted a reso head for a tom, you're all set.

If you wanted a reso head for a snare, you've got the wrong one. Go back and get an Ambassador Hazy.

As long as they are not for a snare bottom the heads that you bought are the correct ones for your toms.

one other option is a clear diplomat on the resonant side. will ring more but your tuning needs to be spot on. also more of a vintage / jazz voice. Dips are 7.5 mil vs. Ambassador 10 mil. interesting that the Hazy Diplomat (snare side) is only 2 mil thick (learned something new) !!! also smooth white ambassadors on reso side will give you a slightly different sound. just a tad thinner than clear ambassadors.

Most drummers prefer single-ply heads, such as the Ambassador, on tom bottoms. There are many others to choose from, but Ambassadors are a fine choice. Peace and goodwill.

clear ambassador, like the ones you have, have been the standard of the industry reso heads for many years

Back