Is it a High-End or Mid Kit?

Really? Seems interesting because i've check with a previous pearl employee and they said that the badges on it were only made in the 70's

Hi Daphfz,

Unfortunately the Pearl employees that you are talking too are not very knowledgeable. At the time of the BLX's introduction I was a Pearl endorsee, I had one of the first BLX kits in the UK.

If you drop Pearl Australia an email I'm sure that they will be able to confirm the BLX ranges release date.

Mark

KK i will do that, lol well i'll let the guy off da hook hes 71 :p

They are great kits, I gave a load of my old kits to some local schools several years back and know that my old BLX is still in use today.

Nice drums.

Mark

thanks lol :), i gigged with them today, they sounded soooooo good :D

Correction

Hi Daphfz,

Just spoke to an old friend who used to look after my drums, apparently I received my BLX kit at the end of 1986, but they weren't widely available until early 1987.

Mark

I remember the BLXs being advertised in MD in the mid late 80s.
The tom depths are the giveway. Definitely 80s, not 70s..

I'm interested in the slave bass pedal also. That hihat leg goes right across the middle of the pedal and there is no way to "just do" play it.

Re: Correction

Hi Daphfz,

...apparently I received my BLX kit at the end of 1986, but they weren't widely available until early 1987.

So these are really 23 year old drums. Tops. Not 40.

thanks lol :), i gigged with them today, they sounded soooooo good :D

Regardless of their age, they are great drums. My first real set of drums was a black BLX (1986 I think) kit, and it was very well made, and it sounded great. I loved those drums!

I want to say that when Omar Hakim left Yamaha he went to Pearl and played BLXs.
Great drums. If omar can go from Recording Customs to BLXs that should be good enough for just about anyone.

Maybe the OP doesn't use the second bass drum and is using it as a tom holder?
ala Kenny Jones when he played for "The Who". It wasn't until after he left "The Who" that he started playing double bass.

Pro Kit? I made most of my drumming money using a piece of crap Pearl Export "Maxwin" kit that had particle board shells!!!!

It is how they hold up, how you tune and mic them, and how you play them that makes them pro....

www.wolvesatthedoor.net

Maybe the OP doesn't use the second bass drum and is using it as a tom holder?
ala Kenny Jones when he played for "The Who". It wasn't until after he left "The Who" that he started playing double bass.

that would make sense. but then, why would the OP go to the trouble of putting a pillow (or is that a towel?) in, and a pedal on, the second bass drum? which means he must really use it, as impossible as the stand and pedal placement seems. maybe he has really flexible legs?

incidentally, I've seen a picture of Charley Drayton (Yamaha endorsee, played/plays for X-pensive Winos, The Cult, Divinyls) where he has a small rack tom on his kit with holes cut in the batter head that he uses as a stick/brush holder. another instance of using drums as stands.

then, instead of just being nicknamed a "tub", it is literally used as a tub to hold things
but I wouldn't recommend eating cymbals... contrary to their nickname of "pies" they are not edible
(ok I'm done with my lame puns haha)

I'm interested in the slave bass pedal also. That hihat leg goes right across the middle of the pedal and there is no way to "just do" play it.

Lol well my foot gets in there and can easily play it :)

Thanks for clearing that all up, now i know how old they are :). but regardless, they sound fantastic to me and are priceless ;). I reallly really like the full length lugs :D they seem so hardcore to me haha and they provide alot more protection then most others :).

I was gonna start a new thread, but while i have everyones attention, has anyone heard of a brand called aria or vria? lol i got a free snare drum (without skins and the hardware is starting to get a lil rusty(but i can fix that :D)) from a mates dad, and i myself have never heard of it. It says its made in japan, but my conqueror snare also says that and noone has heard of it either.... If anyone has heard of em please tell me :)

Lol well my foot gets in there and can easily play it :)

Thanks for clearing that all up, now i know how old they are :). but regardless, they sound fantastic to me and are priceless ;). I reallly really like the full length lugs :D they seem so hardcore to me haha and they provide alot more protection then most others :).

I was gonna start a new thread, but while i have everyones attention, has anyone heard of a brand called aria or vria? lol i got a free snare drum (without skins and the hardware is starting to get a lil rusty(but i can fix that :D)) from a mates dad, and i myself have never heard of it. It says its made in japan, but my conqueror snare also says that and noone has heard of it either.... If anyone has heard of em please tell me :)

Try to focus your hits as close to center as possible, I can only imagine the different sounds coming from your toms.

It depends what you call a pro kit.

Its personal preference, if it sounds like a pro kit to you, then there you have it.

I checked it out on the pearl site in their history tab, and i cant find any trace of blx's lol.... perhaps pearl discovered how gud they were and hide them all for themselves and got ride of the evidence of their existance lol.... joking ofcourse :)

But can anyone help me out with regards to the snare?

Back