is improving inevitable

Like my parents always used to say "Embrace your mistakes!" they always followed it up with a warm hug too which was nice.

what happens to a drummer a lot of times is a pattern they want--- will start with the right hand---then shift to the left hand in the lead.

There- it reminds me of some of those exercises in the old Stick Control book*.. where a "Note is Left out*" so the dominate hand "stays" in that lead position.. So that you can accomplish the musical phrase or motion around the drums, that's desired, with ease
This is what I mean by (throwing out some old ways) (irony noted, Stick control 1935) and adopt new ways (irony again) to accomplish what's in your mind

(*Short Roll Progressions Stick control)

Last edited:
This can also be a double-edged phrase because for a lot of money-making bands, money beats and simple fills are all that’s necessary to make a lot of $$$. Jazz noodling and fusion playing are all cool until you consider maybe 80% of those players are playing in their parents basement approaching their 50s 😂😂

devils advocate (to Devils Advocate)?

money does not = success to everyone.....

I have found way more happiness and success in noodling prog beats in my basement than by making money on any number of "money beat" gigs I have played in my life

but I also find great fun in playing money beats with great freinds in front of happy audiences

I always feel that in discussions like these, the subjectivity of "success" is a forgotten component

I have found, through painful experience, that it’s easier to play stuff fast. It’s when you slow things down when you start to notice the cracks in the foundation. I’ve also learned that if you can play a beat fine at faster tempos but not when you slow it down, you really can’t play that beat. Until you can play something slow, with the proper feel, you haven’t actually learned how to play that beat. Slow everything down and keep practicing. You’ll get there, Bernard.

This is a great book regarding everything practice and playing:

Becoming The Instrument
It is important to note that Kenny Werner is a notable Jazz musician (pianist) born and raised in New York who studied at the Manhattan School of Music and Berklee, his books are excellent, they talk in general about "stage fright", "flow", "zone", etc... but in Drummerworld we are talking about beginners in general, people who have no background in studying music, etc...

Last edited:
I've read there is some 1 million drummers in US-supposedly by census (another source state 2.5 million). Not that many for a population of 332 million. I have no idea of proficiency of drummers-I can't find any measures of that. I think one thing about drums is most people think they would be an easier musical instrument to become proficient-which is somewhat true. However plenty discover it isn't that easy and lose interest quickly-it's that way with any instrument to be fair. But I think a guitarist, bassist, horns, piano, any other musician who plays another instrument can learn drums pretty easy, but I don't believer drummers can reciprocate as easily (my opine). However I think that misses the difference from just being proficient and gaining some mastery with any instrument.

I wager the majority of any instrument are just proficient and haven't graduated to hone skill to higher degree. But that's the motivation of the person playing an instrument. In 70s about every teen started picking on guitar learning songs by ear. I tried it too-but we also had a drum kit and it won my heart. The garage band era grew from that and it sure was a lot of fun. Not everyone wants to be a Tiger Woods in golf or a Vinnie on drum kit-or maybe they do but likely can't reach that pinnacle anyways. But mediocre musicians have a way of finding each other and make music locals enjoy, and really excellent musicians tend to find other excellent musicians and make music for a broader audience. It's all good and meets the needs of niches in society. I imagine a lot of excellent drummers don't gig locally because no demand for the music they enjoy playing or have some mastery playing it. Anything worthwhile is often a challenge-that's what makes it worthwhile.

It is important to note that Kenny Werner is a notable Jazz musician (pianist) born and raised in New York who studied at the Manhattan School of Music and Berklee, his books are excellent, they talk in general about "stage fright", "flow", "zone", etc... but in Drummerworld we are talking about beginners in general, people who have no background in studying music, etc...
I'm not sure Drummerworld is all beginners, I get the impression that there's a wide range of abilities here from beginners to professionals. I think the things Kenny has to say are important to all levels, as we're all looking for ways to improve no matter what our current level. :)

I'm not sure Drummerworld is all beginners, I get the impression that there's a wide range of abilities here from beginners to professionals. I think the things Kenny has to say are important to all levels, as we're all looking for ways to improve no matter what our current level. :)
You are not reading my message, it says IN GENERAL, not ALL Beginners, and in general it is...you are just not sure...anyway, the thread starter is a beginner (he is trying to play some basic rock rhythms in his own words)...

You are recomending a Kenny Werner book to someone who is just trying to play basic Rock Rhythms, instead of studying with a teacher...?

Here my past message:
but in Drummerworld we are talking about beginners in general, people who have no background in studying music, etc...

The rest I don´t want even to discuss..., no disrespect...

Last edited:
You are recomending a Kenny Werner book to someone who is just trying to play basic Rock Rhythms, instead of studying with a teacher...?
I'd recommend both to be honest, and after reading Kenny's book I wished I'd had something like that when Ii was a beginner, it would have allowed me to make better decisions when I eventually did start taking lessons from a teacher.

Have you read the book?

I have his welknown book "Effortless Mastery " since the 90´s...(from top right, number 10), I know him in person slightly too...went to many of his concerts.

View attachment 144834
I also got 'Effortless Mastery' back in the late 90's but I think his new book is a deeper insight into the topic. There's s great chapter devoted to talking about depth of study as opposed to breadth of study and I think this is where the book would be invaluable to beginner drummers.

The other areas covered on the book may not make much sense at to begin with, but understanding will grow as the drummer matures and develops over time.

If not a big deal, why mention it?

And yes I did just recommend a book and I stand by that recommendation.
Is not a Big deal with you, I dont want you to think you are "my enemy" because I tell you this.
Why mentioning? because I think you are wrong, and because you just said that you suggested teacher previously (message 31 of the thread) and there is not a trace of this at the thread.

Last edited:
Is not a Big deal with you, I dont want you to think you are "my enemy" because I tell you this.
Why mentioning? because I think you are wrong, and because you just said that you suggested teacher previously and there is not a trace of this at the thread.
I don''t think you're my enemy, far from it as it's only the Internet. :)

That's OK if you think I'm wrong, I have no issue with that, people are allowed to have different opinions and I reckon that's a good thing.

"I'd recommend both to be honest" is a turn of phrase to say that in addition to the book, I'd also recommend a teacher, but someone would still get a great amount of benefit from just reading the book no matter what level their currently at. This is just my opinion of course.

Back