Impulsive Gear Purchase Regrets

aah this is easy.

B8 effects pack for a tenner more i could have gotten an xs20 pack which now i dont use the damn things could sell to my m8 who has a set of xs20's.
B8 rock ride.
big dog double bass pedal, should have gone for a better one.
big dog throne, damn thing keeps un locking its self and swivels.
gibralter cymbal stacker brought it with effects pack found it the most annoying thing to use ever.

now to sell it all.

but i do have a lot more good purchases.
Sabian 21" raw bel ldry ride - my first pro cymbal.
Sabian 14" aax - celerators.
paiste 20" 2oo2 crash - didnt like it all that much at first.
Zildjian 18" oriental china - my favorite cymbal.
DW 9000 double pedal.

just got to hope my awaiting orders are as good.
- Zildjian 18" A custom crash
- DW collectors :)

Regrets: Zildjian 16" A Thin Crash - $90. Decent sound but I'm always scared I might crack it if I get into my music too much, even though I've never cracked a cymbal.

Matt Sorum Signature Ahead Drumsticks...still have em but cant get rid of em for some dum reason..maybe what i paid for em back in the day

Wuhan 18" China. Sold a cheap, gongy china by a no-name manufacturer and used the money to buy a Wuhan, which turned out to be just as gongy. Currently on sale on CL.

Other than that, most of my gear has been pretty deliberately bought, so no heartburn...

Regrets

AAX Dark crash 17" = sold !
HH Raw Bell Dry ride = for sale, not crashable, metalic dry sound...
Pearl Sensitone Steel snare = still using it, very bright sound... brass next time...
Tama Iron Cobra single pedal = it's like I play bass drum for the first time

Phil.

I once had my parents buy me an accent cymbal when I was playing just for a year because I wanted a cup sound apart from my ride cymbal. That sucked :) Still have it though, you never know. Otherwise, I've got one of these:

MasterworkJazzMaster20CrashRide_LARGE.JPG

Masterwork 20" Jazz Master crash/ride. It's a great cymbal, doesn't get much darker than this, but it doesn't fit with any of my other stuff. I rarely use it, and now it's collecting dust on a shelf.

Buyers?

Axis Longboard.
Horrible feel. I unloaded it a week after I bought it.

Alesis DM4 module.
Got the brain and some Dauz pads, Figured out how to mount it all within my kit, then decided it was a pain in the butt to carry around, set up and use for only 2-3 songs.

In early 2004, I purchased a used, five-piece Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage shell pack for $400.00. The bass drum was a standard, 18" x 22", and the four tom-tom drums' respective diameters were 8", 10", 12" and 14" (I am unaware of the drum shells' depths, though they were presumably standard sizes). The previous owner of these drums had taken relatively good care of them and the drums had only minor aesthetic defects, which I easily buffed and polished away. The drums had a deep, forest green lacquer finish. I borrowed a 5" x 14" snare drum from another drum set, a first-generation Gretsch Blackhawk, and mounted the drums by using previously purchased hardware and pedals.

I thoroughly enjoyed playing these drums. They projected well, were easy to position within my preferred configuration, and were visually appealing. They sounded even better with new Remo Emperor coated batter-side and clear resonant heads on the bass and each tom-tom drum. With the money I saved by purchasing this instead of a brand new drum set, I was also able to purchase a new 16" Sabian B8 Pro thin crash cymbal and a used 18" Sabian Signature Carmine Appice Devastation China cymbal.

In 2005, for reasons I now think foolish, I sold my Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage and several cymbals in order to purchase a used, five-piece Tama Rockstar Custom and Iron Cobra "Velo Glide" hi-hat stand. I remember being somehow convinced that Tama was the pinnacle of drum makers and thought the purchase price of $600.00 for that drum set and additional professional hardware was worth the cost of parting with my then-current drums and even several cymbals.

These new drum shells were again standard sized, including a 18" x 22" bass and 10", 12" and 14" tom-tom drums, and also a 5" x 14" snare drum. This drum set was also well-maintained by its previous owner, had a beautiful amber fade finish, and came with mounting hardware. I was initially happy with my purchase of these drums until discovering that the added bulk of the mounting hardware made positioning the drums more difficult and the upward hook of the tom-tom mounts used up even more needed space. The drums themselves also projected well and were aesthetically pleasing, but needed more frequent maintenance, including tuning and readjustment. The Iron Cobra hi-hat pedal was the real selling point of my purchase, but I discovered too late that a bolt that connected the foot plate to the vertical shaft was missing, which caused occasional instability. Regardless of how often I tweaked and maintained my drums, they were never quite to my liking.

I returned to the music store where I had purchased both of the above described drum sets to ask for a refund. The store had a policy that did not allow for refunds, only store credit. That same day, I noticed my old drum set was again assembled and ready for play, but with a "sold" sign taped to the heads (this time, a matching snare drum was available).

In 2006, I needed money to pay bills and, despite the knowledge that everything I was selling was worth well more than the asking price, I sold my Tama Rockstar Custom drum set to a local pastor for $500.00, which included all-new heads and hardware, including two Tama RoadPro boom cymbal stands and a DW 4002 double-bass pedal.

To add insult to injury, not three months after I sold my drum set, my neighbor held a house party that lasted until 3:00 a.m. When I called to ask her to keep the noise down, she complained that if I can play my drums at all hours of the day and night (I only played when no one else in the neighborhood was home; she could only have heard me once, when I crashed a cymbal before ending a practice session), she could be as loud as she pleased. Never mind that other neighbors had called her to complain (and never to me; no one in my neighborhood was even aware I owned a drum set).

I have learned from my mistakes about impulsively buying and selling my equipment and am now looking forward to building a new, hybrid acoustic-electric drum set. This way, I will get exactly what I want in a drum set and no one will have room to complain about noise if I use headphones.

For the sake of conversation, attached to this post are three pictures of the above mentioned drum sets. The first picture is of my Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage and the last two are of my Tama Rockstar Custom drum set. You can see how the proportions had changed, which affected my comfort and playing ability.

Attachments

• MRTener Drums (1).jpg
    MRTener Drums (1).jpg
    38 KB · Views: 581
  • MRTener Drums (2).jpg
    MRTener Drums (2).jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 572
  • MRTener Drums (3).jpg
    MRTener Drums (3).jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 573
A 19 inch Z Custom Medium Crash and a 19 inch Z Custom Rock Crash. Never have I owned cymbals that literally were ear piercing. I still get headaches just thinking about playing them.

I bought an m-audio portable digital recorder that is absolutely worthless. It skips randomly every minute or so. I tried updating the firmware and contacting m-audio to get it serviced within the warranty but they have only ever wrote back and told me to update the firmware once. now they won't answer my emails.

I bought a cheaper tascam unit that works perfectly and sounds just as good.

My band also bought a fender passport p.a. for acoustic gigs. We borrowed one of these for a few months and it worked great so we got the biggest one they make I think it's 500 watts. Anyways right after we bought this we changed venues for our acoustic gigs and the fender passport doesn't cut it there, so we have to bring out our full p.a. anyways. We tried to return the passport, but guitar center doesn't accept returns on special orders. We used it as a practice p.a. for a few times but then it broke. We got it fixed under warranty by fender (they actually sent us a brand new in box p.a.) but it's currently just sitting in the box. I guess we need to sell it.

To MRTener, I feel bad for you. Really, That Yamaha kit looks so much better than that Tama in my opinion. It probably sounded better too.

My regrets are:
1: ZIldjian ZBT's- probably the worst cymbals I have ever heard. No wait, the second worst.
2: 10" Sabian B8 Splash- This is the worst cymbal I have ever heard. No attack, it just sounded so cheap.
3: An old CB bass drum I found on eBay for $40 with shipping. It smelled like cigarettes, it was dirty, sticky, and the front head was broken. Broken! The moron who cut the port-hole used scissors and made the most jagged circle I have ever seen.

Wins!
1: I bought a PDP double bass pedal for $50 from a friend. I ended up getting a Ludwig Speed King (best pedal ever) for my birthday a few months later. So I sold the PDP on eBay. I was expecting $45 for it and ended up getting $90. I don't understand who would buy it for that because if they spent $10 more they could have got a brand new one.
2: Remo Emperors for my toms. They sound so good. NIce thud every time I hit my toms.
3: Wuhan 18" china- I got this thing for $20 on musiciansfriend. I don't know if it was a typo or not because the 14" and 16" cost at least $10 more at the time. Now the cymbal is like $50. Great deal!

Last edited:
...I bought a 20" Legacy ride that now sits in the "I can't stand it " pile.

I bought,regretted, then traded a 19 and 20" Vault crash, and a 20" HH sound control ride for a 21" RBD. Turning three bad (but stupid cheap) cymbals into one keeper lessens the regret.

Barry

...I bought a 20" Legacy ride that now sits in the "I can't stand it " pile.

I bought,regretted, then traded a 19 and 20" Vault crash, and a 20" HH sound control ride for a 21" RBD. Turning three bad (but stupid cheap) cymbals into one keeper lessens the regret.

Barry

were those Vault crashes so bad?

For me, there are only a couple...

Regrets at the time,

14x6.5 Travis Smith Sig Snare by Ddrum (£150), I needed a new snare as the tensions broke on my at the time current snare and it was the cheapest that sounded half decent, it was very very heavy, a pain to set up and it sounded too tinny, luckily I held on to it, when it became discontinued, there was light at the end of the tunnel, a young lad offered me double what I paid (£300) as he was a massive fan of the band this guy played for and couldn't find the snare anywhere else, I obviously couldn't rip the kid off, I sold it him for £230 inc p+p.

17" K Custom Dark China, saw this on the bay for £15 I couldn't believe it! Too good to be true indeed, baught in a heartbeat. Then when I got it there was a HUGE crack in it. It had been drilled but sounded aweful, there was no sound to it, it just sounded like a cheap pair of horrible trash hi hats. I wanted to get rid of it. A guy I know from a metal band. And he loved the sound, baught it off me for £40, which I couldn't believe.

Wins.

Got a 20" Paragon China for a steal of £100 the guy said after I put it to my set and I didn't like it I could bring it back, it sounded fantastic with my Kit.

My 14" Gretsch USA Custom Maple Snare with hybrid wood/metal hoops. Got it for £200 online the cheapest I saw it for was £310.

Got a 8" AA China Splash for free with a bunch of Cymbals I bought, sounded great, it is cracked a little, but it hasn't effected the sound,

Everything I bought was from my local music shop. Except the K Custom China.

Actually I don't regret any purchase 'cause I think and check vids and reviews a lot before buying..

But anyway, I find myself buying something new every month, and checking reviews and videos on stuff to get in the future everyday. Even when I don't know what to get if have only a few bucks left I feel the need to get some new sticks, even though I have like 7 pairs and they're perfectly fine.

I even made a list of things to get and then "I'm done".. but magically that list keeps growing every week and I find more stuff to get.

I realize I'm having a problem here and it really pisses me off. :mad:

Bought some Zildjian crash cymbals on line after I decided to never buy cymbals without hearing them. I told myself that again after receiving them.

Yes they are so personal and every single one, even with the same size, type and stamped line is different. Meaning, just because you heard a 17" dark K crash, you wont order one up and get the same sound, just does not work that way.

I hear ya. I wanted something a little darker and quieter to complement my Sabian Paragon rock setup, so I decided to put together a small set of Zildjian Ks; wanted a 3-piece setup to take out for small gigs.

Started with a K Custom Dry ride I liked in person and then ordered (online) a set of 14" K Mastersound Hats and a 18" K Crash/Ride. Even though I had listened to them online 100 times, I had never played them in person. The hats are a little too bold (loder than my Paragons) and "riding" the 18" is like hiting the top of any other 18" crash; don't really get how they can even call it a ride.

I plan to keep them, but buying gear without hearing it in person just keeps biting me in the butt.

Back