Ides of March, Vehicle

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Is this thing spliced together or what? Trying to learn it for a gig and for the life of me it keeps jumping ahead. Is this an odd count or just sloppy editing?

Hmmmm.... IMHO not really odd counts. Just a lot of punch-ins between each section, and one very volatile drummer.

I counted and tapped my hand the entire time and came out or stayed on time. There are some triplets in there once in a while but nothing sounded edited. Here is a live one. Check it out.

https://youtu.be/CQbJThoYfLg

We've been playing this one for years. Very fun song and readily lends itself to ad-lib. I'm not sure I've played it even close to the same way twice.

Sloppy editing and not the best meter on the drummers part = hit lol.

I've played it for years and have never noticed any significant time issues. Like Gruntersdad, I tapped thru it and still don't see anything glaring in the count. Didn't use a metronome, but are you talking about tempo changes?

GeeDeeEmm

Is it just me or is this song about a stranger who wants to pick up girls from his black sedan with pictures and candy? Seems pretty creepy to me.

Is it just me or is this song about a stranger who wants to pick up girls from his black sedan with pictures and candy? Seems pretty creepy to me.

Different era, I guess ;) But yeah, you wouldn't really be approaching people that way nowadays.

Actually, there aren't any odd-times, it's just some sloppy playing with some rushing thrown in. Lots of songs from that era are like that.

It was funny to re-experience the actual recording again - I never realized how bad the horns were out of tune in some spots. I kept picturing some sloppy marching band standing around a microphone in a parking lot and the band syncing up to that.

And don't forget - the drummer could've been Hal Blaine ;)

Damn ...I always thought that was Blood Sweat and Tears.
Great tune, but clearly no click-tracking then lol

And don't forget - the drummer could've been Hal Blaine ;)[/QUOTE]

Looked up Hal's discography. The only "V" song is.........
"Ventura Highway"
Ides of March drummer was Mike Borch....I think.

And don't forget - the drummer could've been Hal Blaine ;)

Looked up Hal's discography. The only "V" song is.........
"Ventura Highway"
Ides of March drummer was Mike Borch....I think.[/QUOTE]

Does Hal know for sure? Those Wrecking Crew guys were working so much I wonder how accurate their own records were ;)

I am glad someone else thought the horns were out.

I heard that the song was about one of the writer's experience dating an aspiring starlet/model type that did not drive,therefore La+ hot model = high maintenance etc.

I've heard this original version several times and have played this song 1000+ times with a cover band. I don't hear any variation in timing from the drummer at all. Yes he's all over the place with his fills but I hear no skipping or tempo changes. I've always simplified my playing for this song because it grooves better.

Damn ...I always thought that was Blood Sweat and Tears.
Great tune, but clearly no click-tracking then lol

Who was producing all those brass rock bands back then, William Guercio?

Anyway, I once thought I could sing "Vehicle" live- no problem right? What a disaster it was. You're right, the song seems easy but in reality is all over the place...

It looks like the studio accidentally lost about 14 seconds of the song (mostly guitar solo) and had to splice in some alternate takes to make the song complete. That might be why it sounds disconnected at times, although the tempo is pretty steady as far as I can tell...

Back