I Just Spent $197 on An LP

BobC

Silver Member
I just spent a grand total of $197 on the double live LP of Roger McGuinn, Chris Hillman and Marty Stuart & The Superlatives' Sweetheart Of The Rodeo 50th Anniversary concerts. I went to two of the shows, and am a huge Byrds fan, so there was no way I was going to miss this. It was easily the best concert I have attended in the last ten years, and it's the closest thing we are very going to get to a Byrds reunion. Only 2500 copies were pressed up for Record Store Day on 4/20 (haha), so it's an instant collectible. Of course, people had copies up on Fleabay immediately at high prices.

I have never spent that amount of money on a vinyl LP. Oh well. You only live once. I better sell some gear so I can pay for it. LOL. I guess it'll be a good investment going forward.

Attachments

• Roger & Chris.jpg
    Roger & Chris.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 6
I saw him
in Paul's Mall/ Jazz Workshop
around 75/76 a famous upstairs/downstairs bar in Boston. Why I went I can't recall and was probably billed as Roger McGuinn Band..
Can still see, when he did 8 Miles High, that guitar twinkling in the lights

Paul's Mall was a Bar maybe a foot high stage and you're almost eye-level 10 ft. away. I never forgot it..
I saw quite a few acts there, Lenny White and his band, Steve Gadd with Steps and Mike Manieri, , McCoy Tyner trio, Buzzy Linhart, Martin Mull,
Mose Allison with Alan Dawson, upstairs and down;

Martin Mull I gotta tell you a story.
a 6' X 4" wood platform
with a Living Room Chair. a small Table and Lamp attached tacked- to it was carried out on stage..
Martin comes out with his guitar and sits down, with a drink on the table and a microphone he does his act it was fantastic;

Buzzy Llnhart another time was- well he was a hurricane of energy on these small almost, stage show what's the word. Actors stage. I somehow have his pick with his name on it, he must have thrown them en masse out to the audience. Those were some great times in Boston

Last edited:
That's a great investment and not that much-you can blow that much on a meal for a couple of people that's a one time enjoyable event. You can enjoy this over and over. Funny when I first saw the two names (McQuinn and Hillman) I was just thinking Byrds, Byrds, Byrds and then hit Marty Stuart and out of context thinking I don't remember a Stuart in the Byrds?? Then reading on it hit me- Marty Stuart-Sweethearts of the Rodeo. Sounds like a lot for a piece of plastic but they take a plug of plastic that cost about a 5 cents and grind it down into a hard contact lenses so it cost $100 dollars or more. Yep you got a steal I'd say LOL.

That's a great investment and not that much-you can blow that much on a meal for a couple of people that's a one time enjoyable event. You can enjoy this over and over. Funny when I first saw the two names (McQuinn and Hillman) I was just thinking Byrds, Byrds, Byrds and then hit Marty Stuart and out of context thinking I don't remember a Stuart in the Byrds?? Then reading on it hit me- Marty Stuart-Sweethearts of the Rodeo. Sounds like a lot for a piece of plastic but they take a plug of plastic that cost about a 5 cents and grind it down into a hard contact lenses so it cost $100 dollars or more. Yep you got a steal I'd say LOL.
I had to buy this, as I'm a lifelong Byrds fan, and went to two shows on that tour. I knew I'd probably never see McGuinn & Hillman playing these songs live and electric ever again. I wish they'd tour with The Heartbreakers with Mike Campbell onboard, but McGuinn is at least 80, and Hillman isn't far behind.

I just spent a grand total of $197 on the double live LP of Roger McGuinn, Chris Hillman and Marty Stuart & The Superlatives' Sweetheart Of The Rodeo 50th Anniversary concerts. I went to two of the shows, and am a huge Byrds fan, so there was no way I was going to miss this. It was easily the best concert I have attended in the last ten years, and it's the closest thing we are very going to get to a Byrds reunion. Only 2500 copies were pressed up for Record Store Day on 4/20 (haha), so it's an instant collectible. Of course, people had copies up on Fleabay immediately at high prices.

I have never spent that amount of money on a vinyl LP. Oh well. You only live once. I better sell some gear so I can pay for it. LOL. I guess it'll be a good investment going forward.
Did they offer a CD or a download in addition to the vinyl?

Did they offer a CD or a download in addition to the vinyl?
I don't think so. It was a special vinyl Record Store Day release. I would have bought the CD. I'll have to have someone dub it for me on CD so I can play it in the car.

I don't think so. It was a special vinyl Record Store Day release. I would have bought the CD. I'll have to have someone dub it for me on CD so I can play it in the car.
Well, it is a one-of-a-kind thing. If I ever get a commemorative vinyl print of something, I stash that away for people to look at, but I’d play the CD or stream it for everyday listening.

I bought this record about 7-8 years ago. Those folks that listened to CCM back in the early 1990s will appreciate the rarity of this. It wasn't terribly expensive, but somehow and someway, it made it's way safely to my house from the UK. This is the thinnest record I own and very fragile.

1715000592669.png

Even though I sold off my collection many years ago , there are I few that I'll always keep . Rare oddities with a history in the audiophile world . One is the Miles Ahead first sleeve printing - white girl on a sailboat . Another is a Jackie Gleason with personalized cover art by Salvador Dali . The flip side has a black and white of Dali and Gleason together like old school chums . And a few others ....

Back