I just doubled my snare count

Looking back, I realize now that every snare purchase I made that wasn't an LM400 or LM402 was just delaying the inevitable. I'm not saying that everybody has to go that route but for me there was no getting around it. Those two snares likely cover 99% of the sonic territory that the majority of drummers find themselves in. For me, the Acrolite was just a stepping stone, albeit a good one.
Thanks for bumming me out on my new to me snare. Heh, just kidding. That’s not going to happen.

Thanks for bumming me out on my new to me snare. Heh, just kidding. That’s not going to happen.
lol... not my intention though I probably could have worded things better.

The Acrolite is an excellent snare. It may whet your appetite for other Ludwig aluminum drums like the LM400 and 402. They are different enough sounding to justify owning one or both - especially the LM402. If I could only own one snare for all of eternity, it would be the LM402.

Congrats on the acquisition. My Acrolite provided (and continues to provide) years of satisfaction. Without a doubt, yours will too.

I only have three snares, two by Mapex and one by Pearl. Two have maple shells, and one has a birch shell. Peace and goodwill.

Found a 70s Acro that looked good, was priced well, and comes with a case that has a broken hinge. Should be here in a few days. So that’ll bring my awesome snare collection up to two. I really don’t need it but I thought it would be fun to have an aluminum snare and Acros are cheaper than Supras.

This should do it for me and snares. What else do I need?
Congratulations!

I have one too ("Blacrolite" actually). An extremely versatile snare. I honestly preferred the slightly more open sound of the Acro to my Supra, which I sold years ago.

So, what is your other snare?

Congrats! It's always a good thing to have a spare snare drum on hand.
Found a 70s Acro that looked good, was priced well, and comes with a case that has a broken hinge. Should be here in a few days. So that’ll bring my awesome snare collection up to two. I really don’t need it but I thought it would be fun to have an aluminum snare and Acros are cheaper than Supras.

Congrats! It's always a good thing to have two snare drums on hand to alternate with or--in the event of an emergency--to have a back up snare drum on the spot.

I've got two 10 lug Black Galaxy Acros with consecutive serials, but I don't use them yet. I did use an 8 lug Black Galaxy for back up.
Wouldn't want to break up the 10 lug pair. Maybe that's weird.

I've got two 10 lug Black Galaxy Acros with consecutive serials, but I don't use them yet. I did use an 8 lug Black Galaxy for back up.
You’re probably right, but it’s none of my business.

I think a 402 is the correct answer. You’ve started on a journey that only leads there.
Doubt it, although a sweet used deal on one might change my mind. But since I own the world’s greatest snare already, the incentive isn’t there so much. I don’t gig much on drums and I only bought an Acro because I wanted a 5” depth on a snare.

I've got two 10 lug Black Galaxy Acros with consecutive serials, but I don't use them yet.
Curious- why don't you use them? If you decide to break them up, let me know. I may even want the pair if you decide to sell them as such. I intended to get one before it was discontinued.

Doubt it, although a sweet used deal on one might change my mind. But since I own the world’s greatest snare already, the incentive isn’t there so much. I don’t gig much on drums and I only bought an Acro because I wanted a 5” depth on a snare.
Alright, I’ll take your word on that. But maybe it’d be a good idea in the meantime not to venture too close to one. You might get sucked into its
gravity well.

Alright, I’ll take your word on that. But maybe it’d be a good idea in the meantime not to venture too close to one. You might get sucked into its
gravity well.
Oh believe me, I just spent two years with a drummer who used a 5” Supra. I love ‘em. But the older I get, the less I care about GAS.

Happy for you Jimmy. You're right... what else do you need. I have one wood snare and one metal snare. You can only play one at a time anyway. LOL

So it came today…

20240422_125952.jpg

Ok, so it’s not perfect but it’s in good shape otherwise…except for the heads (vintage Amb/ancient shot Rocker) and the wires. Am not getting a good sound out of it, but I’ve got a regular set of Ambs and new Gibraltar wires coming. That should fix it. I’m sure the Rocker head isn’t helping but I don’t like the Vintage Amb either.

Also got an unusual set of hats on Saturday that will get their own thread shortly.

Back