I am the worst drummer ever, So what keeps you playing ?

IL DUCE

That should make you all feel a little better about yourselves. It actually doesn't bother me at all. I have fun lots and lots of fun. I enjoy drumming so much it's one of the few things in my life I haven't either lost intrest in or just quit doing. By all accounts I should. I am unquestionably the least talented least able drummer on this board. ( I mean lets face it someone must be) Yet as I grow older my passion for drumming grows and grows. Yet after 30 years on a kit I have yet to see a drummer anywhere at a club, wedding , local bar back yard party, the internet that I could honestly say I was better than. Not a single one. I mean I've seen kids who've been playing for two weeks I'm better than but other than that no one. I will say to you it does become a little disheartening after awhile. Especially when someone comes over and sits on my kit and makes it sing knowing that's a skill level unobtainable to me. But none of that stops me from playing. Or selling drums. I just love the instrument the hardware the cymbals the pedals . I love using my practice pad doing exercies. Even the buisness side to it I love getting deliveries shipping out products writing listings. Check out different brands of stuff it just all so cool. I feel blessed that I decided to try to learn how to play an instrument, and I continue to try to learn how to play it. Believe me I'm not being negative or down on myself. It's just an honest assesment of my abilities or lack of. I know the songs I write are amaturish. The beats I come up for them anyone playing seriously for 6 months could do better. I also know deep down inside the only reason I've ever been in bands is because I have a PA and great rehersal space. If It wasn't for that I'm sure no one would've actually wanted to jam with me. But still playing gets me so psyced and I love every minute of it. When I'm done writing this post I'm gonna go downstairs and just sit on my kit and absorb the ambience the look and feel of my kit. ( the wife has a headache) Maybe I'll throw the sound off's on. Despite all I have said I have become a very knowledgeable player. I know my equipment I can read music I'm an excellent retailer. I honesttly think just my pure love and passion for the drums keeps me going. I'll continue to magle every back beat I play I will botch every roll I attempt.My bands last CD my playing is so bad I'm afraid to fly with a copy of it. Homeland security would probably think it's a bomb ( which it was) So there I fessed up. I secretly think we all try to think were we are in the pecking order on this board. Maybe not concsiously but sometimes it has to cross your mind. I admit I am terrible. I've also said what keeps me going. What keeps you playing ?

you can't be THAT bad! i'll bet you're better than you say you are. you said you've been in a band and made a cd, right? you have to have some skill level to do that much.

Having resumed drumming late in '07 after nearly 20 years of not even touching a pair of drum sticks...let alone drums...have found renewed enthusiam for the art and enjoying it greatly!

Actually am surprised at the things am able to do spite of the long haitus, yet yearn being able to do a bit of what oh so many drummers can (Gadd, Weckel, Caliutta, et al).
Fortunately have been playing in two church choirs the last few months, something that have really widened my drumming horizon as the sort of music they play requires a multitude of different time signatures, rhythms...much being 3/4 and 6/8 stuff.
Don't read music worthy the heck but have a good ear and am able to not only keep up with what's required and not hold them up because of me, but also keep the choirs in line time-wise.
This also has veered me into being more creative...to give such music a "modern" touch.
People there seems to be pleased with what am offering so all is good!...

-elcid

If you read some of my other posts you'll see I'm very honest about my poor chops & technical ability. Ok, I've got enough in the bag to get by. My chops work very hard for a living. I too took 20 years out after a reasonably fruitful 5 years of earning a living playing drums. Not a great living I'll admit but a living non the less. So how did I do that with limited technical ability? Good looks, hah, certainly not. Magnetic personality, well maybe, but I digress. I succeeded because I had great feel, dynamics, passion, interpretation, musicality & timing. Non of these skills form part of the accepted ratings ladder that many others judge us by. I suspect you're using the same rating system yourself.

One thing is clear to me in your post. You have passion. That's a huge building block. How you interpret a song, the passion of your performance is worth more than all the technical abilities put together. Ok, in an ideal world, we'd all be able to play anything that comes into our head. Technical and chops abilities are the tools that allow that to happen. Of course, you need the basics in place but above and beyond that, everything else is passion & feel.

I suggest you get lessons from a teacher that can inspire you. It's never too late. Irrespective of your technical advancement, I'd advise concentrating on your strengths. I strongly suspect you have a lot to give, it's just a case of bringing out the best in you. Take simple beats and perform them from within you. Create grooves that you're comfortable playing and concentrate on getting the timing & feel just right. Play very slowly and feel your way through the rhythm. Hear the back beat snap of the snare, feel the power of a simply placed kick drum. Increase your speed gradually.

You don't need to be the best. You need to be your best and have fun on the journey.

LOL...umm OK. Are you practicing regularly? If you're really that horrible, that would help. Drummers aren't born good, they all have to practice.....unless you're Buddy Rich.

the crack of the snare keeps me playing.

as you can tell by my sn i have the worst foot on the planet. but still i'm quite funky (i think). i'm thinking of going to the double pedal for triplets. even doublets are hard at times, but i've learned to compensate by playing some licks "on top" of the kit. but mostly i don't feel like messing with the double pedal just yet. my hands are getting much quicker, but my foot just sits there.

what parts of your playing do you think are not good ?

no two drummers will play a song the same way. if you are comparing yourself to playing a lick exactly as found on a favorite recording, get over that and be you. has your favorite band ever changed drummers and it just wasn't the same ? what happened ? they are both professional drummers, so they should be interchangeable right ? nope. each has his own feel and style.

you do you.

Phil Rudd is not the same as that other dude.

Steve Adler is not the same as Matt Sorem.

Clyde Stubblefield is not Jabo Starks and neither of them is Clayton Fillayeau (although they try awfully hard : )).

you haven't said what type of music you like or what you are trying to be.

keep your eyes on the prize.

if you are more specific, we can be more helpful about ways around your (percieved) obstacles.

i'm a funk / rocker myself. if you are a more jazzy / fusion player, obviously a more experienced player than myself will have to take you there.

what is it that you want from your drumming that you are not getting ?

specifically.

a certain lick ?

a certain feel.

timing ?

stamina ?

we're all ears.

I have to say good post.

Drumming is about fun and passion, and that's what matters.

Too many posts (here and elsewhere) are too focused on one should have to have a certain level of ability to buy a certain piece of gear, or should be able to do everything under the sun no matter what the circumstance.

But that's not what music is about. If you enjoy it, that's what matters.

I use my drumming as an escape. Sure beats drugs.

Btw, I bet you a pair of sticks you play better than me.

I have said it before, Music and drumming is a lifes work. No one will ever master the drums there is no greatest drummer in the world not even Buddy .Steve Smith, Terry Bozzio, Dave weckl, JO JO , and the list goes on. They have all said they worked very hard and still do to get where they are at. Its obvious people have more natural ability than others Thats Life. IN 1990 I got to help at a Terry Bozzio clinic I even
got to play his kit in front of him. Out of all of the playing I have done over 30 years and playing some very good gigs. that is still and probably will be the most memorable high light in my persute for being the best i can be. Getting a compliment from Terry about my playing will always be a high point in my life. The moral to this story is Terry told me that nothing came easy for him. he worked very hard to get what he has. He told me its just amazing that some people pick up an instument and learn it like its nothing.
You enjoy drums you are passionate about drums and you practice you by far are not the worst drummer ever! Who cares if you can't play 200BPMs on your double bass thats just your walking papers for doing any pro studio work or freelance live work with bands. I have personally saw a drummer get fired on the spot at a bar I was at he was filling in and figured every song needed the fasted double bass chops possible he did'nt make though sound check. They got a real pro to sit in and he kept simple and in the pocket and they sounded great. Sorry for rambling on but if you enjoy it thats what counts thats music thats art. I'M DONE.

You're not the worst drummer ever! How dare you try and take that status away from me!
What keeps me playing? It ticks off my wife! That's why I do it!
Also, with the exception of two people, The musicians that I play with are the worst ever!
I love it, and I wouldn't change a thing! I laugh my butt off deep down inside when I play a gig and I screw the whole night up, And someone comes up to me and says, "You guys were great tonight!" Triple LOL's! It seems that my incompetence is good to some people! Go figure!

That should make you all feel a little better about yourselves. It actually doesn't bother me at all. I have fun lots and lots of fun. I enjoy drumming so much it's one of the few things in my life I haven't either lost intrest in or just quit doing. By all accounts I should. I am unquestionably the least talented least able drummer on this board. ( I mean lets face it someone must be) Yet as I grow older my passion for drumming grows and grows. Yet after 30 years on a kit I have yet to see a drummer anywhere at a club, wedding , local bar back yard party, the internet that I could honestly say I was better than. Not a single one. I mean I've seen kids who've been playing for two weeks I'm better than but other than that no one. I will say to you it does become a little disheartening after awhile. Especially when someone comes over and sits on my kit and makes it sing knowing that's a skill level unobtainable to me. But none of that stops me from playing. Or selling drums. I just love the instrument the hardware the cymbals the pedals . I love using my practice pad doing exercies. Even the buisness side to it I love getting deliveries shipping out products writing listings. Check out different brands of stuff it just all so cool. I feel blessed that I decided to try to learn how to play an instrument, and I continue to try to learn how to play it. Believe me I'm not being negative or down on myself. It's just an honest assesment of my abilities or lack of. I know the songs I write are amaturish. The beats I come up for them anyone playing seriously for 6 months could do better. I also know deep down inside the only reason I've ever been in bands is because I have a PA and great rehersal space. If It wasn't for that I'm sure no one would've actually wanted to jam with me. But still playing gets me so psyced and I love every minute of it. When I'm done writing this post I'm gonna go downstairs and just sit on my kit and absorb the ambience the look and feel of my kit. ( the wife has a headache) Maybe I'll throw the sound off's on. Despite all I have said I have become a very knowledgeable player. I know my equipment I can read music I'm an excellent retailer. I honesttly think just my pure love and passion for the drums keeps me going. I'll continue to magle every back beat I play I will botch every roll I attempt.My bands last CD my playing is so bad I'm afraid to fly with a copy of it. Homeland security would probably think it's a bomb ( which it was) So there I fessed up. I secretly think we all try to think were we are in the pecking order on this board. Maybe not concsiously but sometimes it has to cross your mind. I admit I am terrible. I've also said what keeps me going. What keeps you playing ?

to quote tommy igoe, but not verbatim, he said something like "drumming is like a family. do you love drums? do you want learn? you're part of family". its just that simple.

its not a competition unless you..uh...enter one, then i guess that situation it is.

you clearly have passion which is wonderful. i think i would just stop worrying about or telling myself i'm the worst, but just try to improve each week. it doesnt do any real good thinking those negative thoughts. you are not the worst.

love is what keeps me playing. i love music, love playing and the feeling it gives me and others.

I am the worst drummer ever. You are trying to steal my suckiness thunder. Stop.

Seriously though I don't even know any of your playing and I know that in every respect you are better than me. But you are COMPLETELY RIGHT in your reasoning for staying interested. I hope to someday run a small corner music store. Just to sell the drums and get to set them up. (I was in a store today that I thought at least in layout and stocking, they could have used my help) So keep drumming, selling, and dreaming, thats the point of this hobby anyway.

You can never be the worst. You are the best in the world at sounding like yourself.

You're not the worst drummer ever! How dare you try and take that status away from me!

Geddouddhere Bob. I kick your lily white from here to kingdom come when it comes to crap drumming ... I've been playing first year drums for over 25 years now and still manage to stuff up :)

I rarely hear or see a drummer who I think is worse than me. I can't even say the only chops I have are on a BBQ because I eat very little meat.

Yet when I was playing keys with a group a couple of years ago we auditioned a bunch of drummers and I saw them all do things that I couldn't play to save my life. None of them gelled with the band so I stopped the keys and shifted to drums and everyone reckoned that was 100% better. Two of the guys had done a lot of gigging, one in a high profile band and were both easily better drummers than me - but they both played too loud and too busily.

So when we talk about crap drumming, we're just talking technique. That doesn't account for all the other things we collect over the years - musicality, taste, understanding arrangements, feel, sensibility, ideas, flexibility to work with and complement other musicians, etc.

So why isn't technique the be all and end all? We all agree it's important. I just kept it simple KIS!), watched my dynamics so I wasn't too loud (esp for the vocalist), I left space and only carried on like a crazy woman when the song wanted it. When drummers know their limitations, have listened broadly, and play within their ability they can play along with almost anything. Really good trained players and naturals would only accept that standard for a fill-in in a desperate spot, but it's functional and pleasing to musical peers and, importantly, to ourselves.

Most pros work their brains out to have a heap of overhead so they can execute their lines at the required level. At the hobbyist and semi-pro level it's not the same because you don't need cred or to impress record company execs or other pros, just laypersons - the drunks, food scoffers and dancers in the audience. If you provide an appropriate and pleasing noise with good spirit and energy they'll be into it.

IL Duce, If you ever get to play another instrument in a band I really recommend auditioning for drummers. It's an eye-opener. As Dairyman said, you can't be terrible if you are recording CDs and auditoning drummers will show you just how non-terrible you are - as long as some of the magicians on this site don't turn up to the auditions :)

Music, other drummers and wanting to get better. Also the feeling you get when everything is in place and you do a good job.

Theres alot of stuff I suck at, but drumming is where I belong. I'ts my obsession, and It's a natural high(for me). I may get frustrated and get angry, but then It's smart to calm down and get everything in perspective. Do you want to be another Vinnie, or as best as you can be?

I almost quit drumming when I first started recording, because It was sloppy. But I stuck with it and I'm glad that I did, and now I'm getting better. If you're really passionate about something, don't give up and stick with it. Take breaks maybe, and come back some days later.

Some of you have asked what makes me feel that way. When I figure out how to post a video the argument will be ended. I just suck, But like I said it doesn't bother me in the least. I drum for fun and enjoyment. I have always loved our instrument and always will. I like drumming to be so much part of my life I started my own drum shop. I'm never gonna influence anyone with my playing But I can sure help them when it comes to getting a decent deal on the money they have to spend on equipment. Earning a living from drumming has been a dream of mine since I can remember. I only recently began to realize it would be from selling drums instead of playing them. Believe me I'm ok with that. I love my drum business and I want it to get bigger and bigger. I actually have set a goal to be the best/biggest internet drum shop in exsistence one day. Eventually then open a brick and mortar store but with the economy the way it is that's a few years off. I mean none of you guys think I'm setting my goals to high do you ? LOL ! I just feel blessed to be part of the drum world. As far as not being as bad as I think trust me I am. Just because I played in bands and have written songs and did studio work anyone can do that. Besides nobody said it was good. I honestly think If I didn't have a great rehersal space and good PA gear No one would jam with me. after playing for so many years you can tell how good you are. You can see how other musicians and drummers get talked to and get treated. I never get compliments. No one ever says anything about my playing. Not from family not from freinds not from techs or engineers in the studio's NOBODY. I never hear remarks about my songs I write . What I do hear is how good the drummer was in the band that played in the club last night. Or how good another drummer did with a song we just covered. all The guys in the bands I've been in have hooked up with tons of chicks after and during a show. I have never hooked up with a single chick in 30 years of playing. If that ain't telling you something I don't know what is. (I'm also not very goodlooking either) Hey it's all good I play for the simple love of doing it. I play because I can. I sell drums because I can and I want to. I meet so many people who wished they had taken up the drums. I always encourage thenm to do it. I am proof you need not be very talented ( or good looking) to enjoy playing the drums and playing in a band. I am the bottom of the barrell the absolute worst of the worst and I still love it so much. Infact I'm going downstairs to apologize to my kit for getting stuck with me as an owner and mangle yet another practice session. Here's a link to my Drum/store blog I think some of you might find it interesting http://cymbalsandsnares.blogspot.com/ enjoy

So, you having trouble with both paradiddles and paragraphs.

Dude, you're killing me trying to read this stuff. :)

Duce, I think Freddy has worked out the problem with your playing. Leaving space is really important! I got about half way through and then my eyes started phasing in an out.

You guys are correct, my puncuation needs improvement. I will edit the post so it is more easily readable. It is something my wife constantly harps on about. My apologies.

Back