I’m a vintage Rogers fanatic

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
AAA08D96-FD27-494E-9E0E-C310DB352C15.jpeg

Had a gig tonight and debuted the Rogers kit I got a few weeks ago and I have to admit, these drums sound really good! For those of you that have sorta followed me here, you know I’ve played just about every major brand out there (and in the case of some brands, I’ve owned multiples of their kits). And a lot of those other kits were great as well - I’ve always said once you get past a certain price point, they all sound good and will do the job.

When I was a kid back in the 70s, there really were only four makers, and Rogers always seemed priced a little higher than the other three, so of course, mom and dad got me a set of Slingerlands and I was off and running. Over the next few decades I’ve had Ludwig and Gretsch but never got a new Rogers because by the time the 80s came in, Rogers was dying a slow death.

Fast forward to the last three years, and I acquired the black orphan Rogers, which sounded great, and now this basically untouched NOS 1979 XP8 kit with a lacquer finish and the metal parts in prime condition and on the gig tonight (unmic’d) and it did an incredible job. The shells are straight maple without re-rings, but they’re thinner and lighter than say, Ludwigs shell from the same era. The lugs also don’t have springs in them (Rogers is the company many other companies stole ideas from - probably speeding up their demise), so no hidden rattling anywhere. The Memriloc hardware from over 40 years ago still functions and once set up, I didn’t have to readjust anything all night.

But the sound - all the drums did this thing where I’d feel the tone in my chest (DynaSonic snare included). I probably sounded stupid because I just couldn’t stop doing rolls down the 12/13/16/18 toms - and the 14x22 bass drum put the ultimate point on the downbeat. Gretsch USA probably gets very close to this, but I always felt the die cast hoop on their thin shells kinda muted them somewhat - it’s a good tone, but it wasn’t this Rogers with regular 1.6mm triple flanged hoops. These sing a little louder because of the thin hoops.

Yes, you have to tune them once mounted on the Memriloc hardware because if you tune it off the mount, it’ll be choked once mounted, but that’s how it is. I know professionals hate that fact, but once you accept it and just deal with it, you can make these drums sound great. Maybe in this era, Rogers really figured it out - they didn’t use super heavy lugs and hoops, combined that with thin maple shells and came out with really good sounding drums. And since they don’t weigh a lot, I didn’t mind hauling six drums to this gig. Got lots of compliments (always taken with a grain of salt as the clientele are drinking), but even the two band members were impressed. I know some people think 1960s Swivomatic Rogers are the best, but don’t be afraid to try the 1970s Fullerton era ones (I pored through the Rogers 1976 catalog as a kid and was quite impressed with their Memriloc hardware (in theory) as I dealt with the anemic Slingerland hardware on the first kit mom and dad got me. Now I know why these cost a little more back then. But, I could see people just not buying them as stores were pushing these new drums made by the likes of upstarts like Tama and Yamaha and Pearl 😏

I don't know if you even need the bdlogo
(that script "R" in Rogers looked like it belonged on a dairy product)
no logo sometimes mystery like "are those custom-built?" "why, Yes, yes they are..."
suffices

other than that
(there was an older Rogers logo that looked more business-like) e,
I'm dreamin'

Last edited:
I have always admired Rogers drums, and own a set of Red Onyx Fullertons with Swiv-o-Matic hardware that I bought almost two years ago for a great price; $950, with a full set of hard cases, which I sold for $300. I just sold the 8x12 for $285, which means I got the set for $365! I also really like the Steel Grey Ripple wrap they had. Rogers was the only other company besides Slingerland that had Mardi Gras wrap too.

I see you have the black set up for sale. This cherry lacquer set is very nice, Bo. Good luck with them.

Rogers was the most innovative drum company back then, and yes, they were more expensive, but very much worth it. They have their own sound and vibe that's different than the other major American drum companies of the time.

Attachments

• Rogers Red Onyx.jpg
    Rogers Red Onyx.jpg
    529.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
@Bo Eder

Hi,
Those drums you use in that photo are Rogers from the 70's.

At that time they looked futuristic, different from all other brands by far, in line with the "Oxford" (aka "Elephant Leg") pants of the moment, hippie letters, etc... Unfortunately they had a lot of rejection from many (detractors like the ones you see here, ex. "play the money beat", "olympic drumming", etc.), I thought they were very nice when they came out during the early 70´s. They didn´t bring them to my country, besides they were too expensive for me at least (any american drums, we all played local made drums back then).

If I'm not mistaken, the firm had already been sold and belonged to Fender when they came out, or had a relationship with them, I have never been very aware of those details ´cause I´m more interested always in the playing/music itself not everything else that is around, besides I lived more than 12 hours by plane (it was much longer at that time than 12 hours) from the USA. ... Shortly afterward they started producing those drums Rogers disappeared.

When I lived, 20 years later, in New York I´ve got a Rogers set from the 60's, this one you se ME PLAYING HERE:

Year 1996 - 12 bar trading Up Tempo Blues

Last edited:
Reactions: TJK
The old Cleveland’s were no joke to bad Fender CBS bought them out.
Xp8’s to thier credit however were excellent drums. A great value in today’s market.

Vintage Roger’s still keep up with most modern kits. They have a vintage mojo with a modern sound. Great drums!

"The lugs also don’t have springs in them [ ] so no hidden rattling anywhere. "

Aren't the springs there to prevent rattling??

Not exactly. The springs keep the swivel nut in place while also giving it some play to prevent cross-threading, accommodate a little splay, etc. But in some lugs the spring buzzs or hums in sympathy with something else. It can be maddening tracking down which lug is doing it, which is why whenever I get a drum with spring-loaded lugs I pack the lug with cotton immediately.

"The lugs also don’t have springs in them [ ] so no hidden rattling anywhere. "

Aren't the springs there to prevent rattling??
Technically, the spring is used to push the nut insert into a space so it doesn’t turn when you tension the drum. Manufacturers would slip a small felt between the spring and casing to hopefully keep the spring from making noise. Whenever I got a used kit, all the lugs would come off and I’d stuff cotton or paper towel shreds around the springs to keep them from making noise. It’s annoying to hear something rattling when you hit the drum.

That kit looks showroom-fresh @Bo Eder
This 20/12/14/14 Tower kit doesn’t make it out much but the 14x6.5 Big R Dyna is constantly fighting with an LM400 for the top gig spot. I had a rough Big R kit in Koa, but I sold it to a studio.
IMG_1821.jpeg
IMG_2210.jpeg

That kit looks showroom-fresh @Bo Eder
This 20/12/14/14 Tower kit doesn’t make it out much but the 14x6.5 Big R Dyna is constantly fighting with an LM400 for the top gig spot. I had a rough Big R kit in Koa, but I sold it to a studio.
View attachment 145980
View attachment 145981
I’d love a 6.5 Big R Dyna - but the used prices on those have skyrocketed! Probably a good reason to keep my 6.5 Supra around!

They look very gig-able. The Memriloc is it sturdy and holds well? How heavy or lite are the drums?
These particular metal bits hold really solid. Not sure how other more beat up parts would hold up. We are talking hardware that’s at least 40 years old. But I recall old Rogers pros saying that after so many years, a lot of their stuff still works. Not a lot of metal fatigue going on because it’s geared teeth and not pot metal clamping around a nylon ball. This kit I have, the owner said he bought them new in 1979, and didn’t gig them! The hardware appears close to new. But I’ve seen others that were just beat - but guys were still using them.

Just to explain what represented then when they came out, Harvey Mason, one of the hippest was using them, also Garibaldi, etc.

View attachment 145989

or this one with Harvey:

It was in the air...like the shape and hardware of those drums...
I had that Herbie Hancock album “Sunlight” on vinyl! Harvey Mason laying it down! I also had a John Klemmer album from the 70s Harvey played on - if Steve Gadd was recording everything coming out of NY back then, Harvey must’ve done everything in LA! He also plays great on George Bensons’ “Weekend in LA” live album that spawned the second-coming of “On Broadway”.

I miss being a kid when this kind of stuff was ALL I had to worry about 🙂

Bo - what model are your Rogers? Era??? They look great and rack mount seems to be very gigable.
The model, or outfit, would have been called (with a Dyna-sonic snare) the Londoner 5. '78 was when the XP-8 (all maple) 8 ply shell came out. It replaced the Rogers 5 ply shell (with reinforcement rings). '76 is when the "Big R" badge and MemriLoc was introduced.

I saw there was a Roy Burns outfit same twin tom twin floors but Tom post was on a stand; and I think 3 additional catalogs rarely seen at www.drumarchive.com

Back