How Much Honesty is Too Much?

Not being funny but... as a new drummer, watching the link provided is absolutely TERRIFYING! How do you know you DON´T sound like that?!

If you can hear other people's tempo variations, you will be able to hear yours.

Just keep recording and listening. The more you do, the more you will hear, good and bad.

I managed to get through 10 seconds of one of his covers.
Guys, it's not worth our attention...

Had the same q myself, but then I started to consider the possibility that this fellow is differently ableas.

I'd say, based on the weird way he hits the cymbals, that he is probably at least mildly autistic. Doesn't mean he doesn't need to hear the truth, but...I'm kind of surprised that more people haven't noticed it. He's not neurotypical, that's pretty much a certainty. I'd have said nothing at all to him, other than suggesting tricks for practicing with a metronome, or practicing in front of a mirror, or postural suggestions (his posture is pretty bad). Guys like him have usually dealt with a lot of verbal abuse from other males during their lives.

I'd say, based on the weird way he hits the cymbals, that he is probably at least mildly autistic. Doesn't mean he doesn't need to hear the truth, but...I'm kind of surprised that more people haven't noticed it. He's not neurotypical, that's pretty much a certainty. I'd have said nothing at all to him, other than suggesting tricks for practicing with a metronome, or practicing in front of a mirror, or postural suggestions (his posture is pretty bad). Guys like him have usually dealt with a lot of verbal abuse from other males during their lives.

You're offering a medical opinion and subsequent psychological evaluation from the way he hits his cymbals?

That's a very long bow old mate.

You're offering a medical opinion and subsequent psychological evaluation from the way he hits his cymbals?

Get out of here with your reasonable and pointed responses. This forum is for snark and unqualified statements. I can tell by the way larry hits his cymbals that he's a communist who likes k-pop more than blues. Can't argue with that.

I'm a little late to the party, but I just watched a couple of the vids, and my first reaction was simply "Oh dear."

I didn't see the original thread, but I really don't think anybody here is at all malicious in their criticisms. To put it simply, it was just bad. However, that isn't instructive or helpful; the comments offered here were.

Non-neurotypical people rarely have totally normal posture and movement, especially if they suffer from sensory processing disorder or proprioceptive problems, which have EXTREMELY high co-morbidity with autism spectrum disorders.

IOW, people that move weird ARE weird, unless suffering froma physical injury that they're compensating for. That's a little bit of a broad brush, but it holds pretty true. I'm a student of human posture and movement, I notice posture and movement a LOT more than most people.

If you think I'm srong about him, message him and ask if he's been diagnosed with any autism spectrum or related disorders. And don't call me mate, please. I find it offensive.

Non-neurotypical people rarely have totally normal posture and movement, especially if they suffer from sensory processing disorder or proprioceptive problems, which have EXTREMELY high co-morbidity with autism spectrum disorders.

IOW, people that move weird ARE weird, unless suffering froma physical injury that they're compensating for. That's a little bit of a broad brush, but it holds pretty true. I'm a student of human posture and movement, I notice posture and movement a LOT more than most people.

If you think I'm srong about him, message him and ask if he's been diagnosed with any autism spectrum or related disorders. And don't call me mate, please. I find it offensive.

You find "mate" offensive? There's a new one. I suggest you never visit Oz, the UK or New Zealand then pal/buddy/compadre/friend. You'd be offended to the point of insanity. I call everyone mate. Man, woman and child. As do the vast majority of my countrymen. I'll try to remember your sheer sensitivity to matters relating to the outright trivial, but it is an ingrained habit developed over more than 40 years of being an Aussie, so please forgive me if I forget in the future.

That aside, I'm glad you've clarified that you are a student of posture and movement. It's always been my observation that there tends to be no greater experts on any topic, than the student. But I'm hesitant to speak too authoritatively on the matter. I'd probably need to see you hit a cymbal before I could say for certain.

I'd say, based on the weird way he hits the cymbals, that he is probably at least mildly autistic.

And his guitar playing? Doesn't look at all 'different' to me. He's got pretty good dexterity there.
And back to the original question, how much honesty?
There can never be enough honesty.

In push-pull's defense, my first thought was the same as theirs (Autism Spectrum Disorder, ASD), and I tried to tacitly mention it upthread to encourage people to think twice about piling on. I have experience with this population and once you know what you're looking for it can be fairly easy to spot.

Last edited:
And his guitar playing? Doesn't look at all 'different' to me. He's got pretty good dexterity there.
And back to the original question, how much honesty?
There can never be enough honesty.

First, ASD comes in many, many flavors and everyone has different physical and mental responses. There are a couple classic tropes that dominate our societal understanding, but there are actually a handful of very successful musicians with ASD out there.

Second, with regard to your specific example, grip/finger dexterity actually doesn't tell us much.

For a more extreme example, watch this boy's arms at 3:09, and then see what happens when he finds the keys and begins to play the piano. From floppy to dextrous. A good part of the population with ASD actually look their most "normal" and have the greatest amount of control over their bodies when playing instruments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oZaCrkCxu8&t=3m09

In push-pull's defense, my first thought was the same as his (Autism Spectrum Disorder, ASD), and I tried to tacitly mention it upthread to encourage people to think twice about piling on. I have experience with this population and once you know what you're looking for it can be fairly easy to spot.

I wouldn't be so bold to suggest that you're emphatically wrong. But similarly, nor would I be so bold to suggest that "that he is probably at least mildly autistic" and then making the huge leap to "guys like him have usually dealt with a lot of verbal abuse from other males during their lives" all gleaned from a humble swipe at a cymbal, either.

I have no real dog in this fight either way. But in the interest of common sense and sound reason, I just think it's a stretch to think nothing of a student offering a pretty bloody sophisticated medical diagnoses via internet, after little more than a passing glance of a cymbal strike on a youtube clip of Sunshine Of Your Love, is all. He may well be right, but I can't think of too many actual medical experts who'd stake their career and reputations by offering a diagnosis using the same limited criteria as laid out in this thread. Can you?

You find "mate" offensive? There's a new one. I suggest you never visit Oz, the UK or New Zealand then pal/buddy/compadre/friend. You'd be offended to the point of insanity. I call everyone mate. Man, woman and child. As do the vast majority of my countrymen. I'll try to remember your sheer sensitivity to matters relating to the outright trivial, but it is an ingrained habit developed over more than 40 years of being an Aussie, so please forgive me if I forget in the future.

That aside, I'm glad you've clarified that you are a student of posture and movement. It's always been my observation that there tends to be no greater experts on any topic, than the student. But I'm hesitant to speak too authoritatively on the matter. I'd probably need to see you hit a cymbal before I could say for certain.

Honestly..Shit Hot Mate....!!!!!!...

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s so nice to know that this forum can provide me with help on my drumming along with analysis on my emotional, and physiological health.
What a great place this is.

It’s so nice to know that this forum can provide me with help on my drumming along with analysis on my emotional, and physiological health.
What a great place this is.

Well, I've seen video of you playing, Jim, and I didn't really want to say anything, but...

He may well be right, but I can't think of too many actual medical experts who'd stake their career and reputations by offering a diagnosis using the same limited criteria as laid out in this thread. Can you?

No one is staking their career/reputation on this (I feel comfortable speaking for push-pull here), so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with that.

The point I (and I believe push-pull) were trying to make was that it may be worth it to consider that this particular individual comes from a different cognitive background than many of the posters on this board, and perhaps in light of this potential, members may also consider respecting his desire to become anonymous to DW after the interaction he had here and temper their critiques accordingly, given that potential. Folks are obviously free to disagree, say whatever they like, etc. Just food for thought.

Some guy posts a video of his playing asking for opinions.
Based on where this thread has gone, I think we have finally discovered how much honesty is too much.

Well, I've seen video of you playing, Jim, and I didn't really want to say anything, but...

HA ! Good one....

No one is staking their career/reputation on this (I feel comfortable speaking for push-pull here), so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with that.

The point I (and I believe push-pull) were trying to make was that it may be worth it to consider that this particular individual comes from a different cognitive background than many of the posters on this board, and perhaps in light of this potential, members may also consider respecting his desire to become anonymous to DW after the interaction he had here and temper their critiques accordingly, given that potential. Folks are obviously free to disagree, say whatever they like, etc. Just food for thought.

If I'm honest, I didn't see too much gentle prompting for mere "consideration" contained within that first post. But nonetheless, my point wasn't that it isn't even worthy of thought. More that a youtube clip presented on a drum forum is a pretty limited criteria to base a hypothesis of some guy's entire medical background on.

But anyway, it's certainly more juicy and exciting than my diagnosis that the guy just had shitty timing and could do with listening to the advice he initially sought out rather than pick up his bat and ball and going home when he didn't hear the raucous accolades he was expecting to hear. Your's and Push's has been far more interesting.

Looking at his other vids, he has just enough ability to make me think his youtube chan is a parody/gag, like Rational Funk. (Which I find hilarious BTW).

Then I saw a couple other of his videos and... If it is a parody/gag, he's certainly committed to it.

Back