Hi Hat Clutch

JesusMySavior

Silver Member
My hats keep coming loose on my cymbal stand. The wingnut keeps coming loose so when I step on my hats then there's just the pole going up and down. I have to adjust this several times while I play. And then sometimes the washer comes off so I have to take the top hat off and rescrew it.

Can this be fixed by buying a new hi-hat clutch? Or would it be something with my hi hat pole, maybe it's been screwed in too hard with the wingnut from the clutch and now it doesn't catch?

thanks!

The first thing I would check is the wingnut itself, and then the pole. It's not unlikely that the pole has been screwed into oblivion, in which case you need a replacement pole(which is difficult to replace by itself) or a new hi-hat stand.

For some reason, I keep thinking that getting a drop clutch would help, but I'm sure it wouldn't help at all.

Just my two cents.

A new clutch is cheap. And worth it.

If it's the pole, go to a hardware store and buy a thread die that fits the old pole and either cut off and rethread the pole or buy some stock and thread it as a replacement. I did the latter when i needed a shorter pole for a specific application. Also, clutches are pretty cheap and used ones can be found, too.

just bought a pearl triple lock hi hat clutch. hopefully it will serve me well :)

Back