Help Me!

D

DSCRAPRE

To be honest, I don't know how to tune at all. I've tried. I've read the Drum Tuning Bible, but it was all greek to me. I know, I'm slow. Are there any Youtube videos that you cats would recomend? Maybe watching would help. thanks guys.

+2 on Gatzen. Remember to tune the bottom head tighter than the top. Tune criss-crossing on opposite sides of the drum. Tap along the outside of each head and adjust so that all areas are very close in pitch. You aren't alone. Many drummers aren't very good at tuning their instrument, imho.

+3 on Gatzen vids. I discovered them about a year ago and have been obsessing over tuning ever since. I think I can honestly say that I've pretty well got it figured out now - which is not bad considering I've only been playing for 30 years! I can tune up my drums in no time, snares included, and get consistent results.

You can tune bottom head tighter if you want that sound but it isn't as easy as tuning both heads the same. If you're going to do different tensions like that, then you have be careful to pick an interval between them that works.

Patience is KEY!!! It took me two years to get a good ear for pitch. Untill then I really didn't know what I was doing with tuning my drums. I just did what sounded good. Now that I have a better ear it is easier to tune my drums. But this took time. So when tuning your drums, don't get frustrated just because you lack the skill. After a few years and more drums tuned...things will get easier.

Oh yeah and Gatzen Vids are great!!! Except his snare tuning vid never worked for my snare drum :/ But I got the sound I wanted nonetheless.

Thanks guys! The Gatzen videos are really helpful. Now, to get to my drums ti=o actually implement them....

Back