Help Me and Suggest Some New Stuff To Listen To

Musicfan717

First post here on drummerworld:
I'm in a music rut and looking for new stuff to listen to.
I grew up on Peart and Bonham, but enjoy pretty much all types of music (that require talent...you know what I mean).
To give you an idea of my tastes some of my favorite albums/drummers are:
The best band you never heard in your life- Zappa. Chad Wackerman
Secret World live-Peter Gabriel. Manu Katche
Images & Words-Dream Theater. Portnoy
Perfect Symmetry-Fates Warning. Mark Zonder
The Idiot King- Attention Deficit. If you think Tim "Herb" Alexander was good with Primus, you must check this out.
Phish Live - Fishman
Niacin. Dennis Chambers
Heavy Metal Be Bop-The Brecker Bros. Terry Bozzio
Early DMB - Carter Beuford
One Size Fits All-Zappa. Chester Thompson
Everything by Rush, Zep, Police.
Weckl, Simon Phillips, Vinny, Bill Bruford, Liberty DeVito(Billy Joel), Phil Ehart (Kansas)

I appreciate any and all suggestions.
Thanks!!!!

Your current tastes are somewhat similar to mine, but I like a lot more metal too... I would suggest (bands along with a good starting album):

The Mars Volta - The Bedlam in Goliath or Octahedron

Tool - Aenima or 10,000 Days

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

Opeth - Any except Morningrise or Orchid (they're death metal, but don't let that discourage you. They're amazing and all over the place. Actually maybe try the Damnation album, its NOT death metal).

Cynic - Focus (again death metal, but not just speed)

Thanks Luke. I've heard a lot of good things about Virgil. I'll check that out. Very familiar with Portnoy's stuff. He's amazing. I can't believe he's no longer with DT.
Fuo, thanks, some good recommendations. I was able to find several Mars Volta and Porcupine Tree cd's on my library's website and reserved them.
I can't believe I forgot to mention Tool in my original thread. Love everything they have done so far.
BTW- Check your local library for cd's/dvd's. You'd be suprised at some of the obscure/ not so popular stuff I have found.

Just thought of two more:

Mastodon - Crack the Skye
Katatonia - Viva Emptiness (very heavy, but moderate tempo and clean vocals)

Ohh.. my suggestions are based on just the music, not necessarily drumming.

Katatonia - Viva Emptiness (very heavy, but moderate tempo and clean vocals)

I 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Katatonia!!

"The Great Cold Distance" and their latest album "Night is the New Day" are both excellent as well. Good musicianship, but not over the top showing off.

It's been a while since Fates Warning put out an album, but their last two, Disconnected (2000) and FWX (2004) are very under rated. They got less metal and more introspective prog. You mentioned Perfect Symmetry, so if you like that one, you'll love these two.

Other things I dig:
Leaves' Eyes: Njord: Really great melodies, song song writing, great musicianship without feeling like they're showing off. Seven Antonopoulos does a great job on drums. I could do with a few vikings references, but overall, it's not a distraction.

Paradise Lost: In Requiem is a great album, mixing Metallica with Dead Can Dance, and making it very interesting. I didn't care as much for their follow up Faith Divides Us – Death Unites Us though.

And James Labrie's latest solo album, Static Impulse is amazing. Much better song writing than his first MullMuzzler album. I admit, I stopped following all the various DT side albums, but this one really grabbed my attention.

Ohh..and if really want something different, check out a band called Orphaned Land, an Israel based band who mix western metal with traditional middle eastern influences.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUi1yf97paw

How about Dave King from The Bad Plus?

This isnt new and you have more then likely already heard it, but the first time I listened to "Bat Country" by AvengeSevenfold I was completely blown away by the drumming and total musicianship of the whole band.

I love it. Makes you want to dance around with a great smile on your face.

Hi mate.

I am so pleased you enjoyed it. It seems to have done everything music should do.

I highly recommend all of Brown's work. A great percussionist/singer songwriter.

Here's a few suggestions:

Go see some live music.

Listen to music that has no percussion at all.

Check out some of the great symphonic composers. No end of inspiration there.

Listen to stuff you already know, but pay NO attention to the drum parts. Focus in on another member of the band the same way you'd listen to the drummer.

Do the same as the above with music you've never heard before. (Ah-ah...I saw you peeking...I said DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO THE DRUMMER.)

Go backwards in time. All the stuff you've named is from the 60s and onward. Go back, back, waaaaaaaaaaaaay back and check out the origins and progress of the instrument. Baby Dodds, Zutty Singleton, Papa Jo Jones, Buddy Rich, Louis Bellson, Max Roach, Earl Palmer, etc. Those are the guys your favorites were inspired by.

Check out music that doesn't have drum set in it, but has lots of percussion. Japanese Taiko drumming, Afro-Cuban, Brazilian, New Orleans Street, Arab, Indian, Persian, Indonesian Gamalan, Irish, Scottish, Swiss, etc. Dig their swing. Cop that and imitate it. See where that takes you.

These suggestions are great. Thanks, friends.
I was able to pick up Mars Volta, Avengened Sevenfold, Opeth and Porcupine Tree this weekend. I liked all of it and will be sure to check out all the following suggestions after that.
Boomka- Thanks. I enjoy Philly Joe Jones' stuff with Miles, Tony Williams and of course, Buddy. Any specific suggested albums to look for regarding some of the older drummers you mentioned?

Thanks again, everyone. Good stuff here!!!!

symphony x, death, iced earth, haggard, blind guardian, enseferum, korpiklaani .. some have great drummers, others just have good solid drummers but great music

I 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Katatonia!!

"The Great Cold Distance" and their latest album "Night is the New Day" are both excellent as well. Good musicianship, but not over the top showing off.

Yea I like all 3 of those albums equally, I just suggested Viva Emptiness because that's the one that got me hooked (after hearing "Ghost in the Sun" a bunch on Pandora).

There's another option for the OP... Try Pandora if you haven't already. Set yourself up a channel made up of 2-4 of your favorite bands and see what it gives you. I found quite a few good bands like this a year or so ago that were new to me (Porcupine Tree, and Katatonia mainly... from a "Tool/Opeth/Rush" channel I made).

edit: DED, have you heard any of Katatonia's earlier CDs from when they were still a straight-up death metal band? I haven't yet, but I've been curious. If so, any good?

Like yourself I grew up playing Zep, Rush etc.

I've enjoyed over the last few years studying different drummers on DVD for new ideas.

I'd recommend you check out Gavin Harrison, Steve Smith, and Aaron Spears, among others.

They inspired me to try playing with totally different approaches.

Also Jojo Mayer and Benny Greb really got me thinking differently about playing drums.

Back