Happy Birthday Herbie Hancock. How's everyone celebrating?

hmmm...looks like I gotta do a deep dive over the weekend in honor of this

Billy Higgins and Tony Williams say 👋 hello

Last edited:
My go to Herbie below. It doesn’t hurt that Brian Blade is on drums. I’ve also been listening to River - The Joni Letters. But, Truth be told, I did not know it was his birthday. I would love to be at that birthday show!

did I never notice? Tony doesn't engage the snares

Last edited:
The show started with Herbie cheerfully greeting the audience, but within moments a spontaneous singing of "Happy Birthday to You" was started on the floor and immediately the entire audience joined in. Herbie responded by stating that apparently Jacob Collier wasn't the only one with a chorus of thousands.

Among other songs, the band played the Terence Blanchard arrangement of "Footprints," penned by the late Wayne Shorter, "Actual Proof" off of the Head Hunters album (with a glorious solo by drummer Trevor Lawrence, Jr.), and a very playful version of "Come Running To Me" that he explained sounds better to him now with modern technology vs. the vocoder that was available in 1978. I can't say that I agree, but it's fun hearing an updated interpretation, especially performed live. Chris Potter on sax was the stand-out star of the night, with musical solos that were enhanced by tasteful and discreet looping, although from a distance I could not see what pedals he was using.

The show ended with the theater staff bringing out a birthday cake, and the audience once again sang "Happy Birthday," this time accompanied by a standing ovation. Herbie said he's trying for at least another 20 years, so hopefully we'll have a chance to celebrate his 104th birthday with him as well.

HHancock.jpg

The show started with Herbie cheerfully greeting the audience, but within moments a spontaneous singing of "Happy Birthday to You" was started on the floor and immediately the entire audience joined in. Herbie responded by stating that apparently Jacob Collier wasn't the only one with a chorus of thousands.

Among other songs, the band played the Terence Blanchard arrangement of "Footprints," penned by the late Wayne Shorter, "Actual Proof" off of the Head Hunters album (with a glorious solo by drummer Trevor Lawrence, Jr.), and a very playful version of "Come Running To Me" that he explained sounds better to him now with modern technology vs. the vocoder that was available in 1978. I can't say that I agree, but it's fun hearing an updated interpretation, especially performed live. Chris Potter on sax was the stand-out star of the night, with musical solos that were enhanced by tasteful and discreet looping, although from a distance I could not see what pedals he was using.

The show ended with the theater staff bringing out a birthday cake, and the audience once again sang "Happy Birthday," this time accompanied by a standing ovation. Herbie said he's trying for at least another 20 years, so hopefully we'll have a chance to celebrate his 104th birthday with him as well.

View attachment 145411
Did he play Rockit and Chameleon?

The show ended with a long groovy/trippy version of Chameleon. Sadly no Rockit, so I played it nice and lound in my truck on the way home.
I kind of figured he played Chameleon and not Rockit, but it would have been cool if he did. Not exactly what you expect from him but I enjoyed it.

Back