GOOD Craigslist stories?

I got a great deal on a 1966 Super Classic in Champagne sparkle for 300. It came with a matching snare (from 1971) and a matching canister throne.

The ad had one very poorly taken photo. I happened to be the first caller and went right over. The drums looked like total crap from dirt, storage, and neglect. I wasn't sure if they would even be playable, but I figured it was worth the chance.

After a novus cleaning and replacing some missing hardware (tom mount), and repainting the hoops, the drums look brand new. No fading, no extra holes, and all in-round. The snare is one of the best sounding snares I have.

Attachments

• DSC00573.JPG
    DSC00573.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC00582.JPG
    DSC00582.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 193
Years ago (decades?) I had some Apple Mac computers and monitors. When I upgraded to their newer models, the older gear was not compatible (PowerPC chipset to Intel chipset). I figured no one would ever want the stuff, so I put it on CL for $100 for two monitors & two CPUs.

Within five minutes I got an email, and another five minutes later the fellow was at my door, money in hand. He wasn't going to use it for work, he had a personal Apple "Museum" and wanted my gear to fill out that production year in the company's history.

pmg4-graphite-780x643.jpg

I recently purchased a four piece 1968 Pearl Super Deluxe kit in Tiger's Eye finish. 20,13 16,14 x 5. The drums are in great shape and are cleaning up nicely. All hardware is present with no rust. The guy that sold them to me on Craigslist emailed me the day before we met and said he had a "stack of cymbals" he wanted to get rid of as well....no extra charge, just needed them gone since he was moving. The "stack" included the following:
2 15" 60's Zildjian hi hats, dirty but in perfect shape
1 Sabian vintage thin crash ( old logo, thin crash is hollow) 18". Dirty but perfect. Sabian says it's from 1981.
1 Paiste 16" Formula 602 pre serial number 16" crash. It had a small edge crack. I sent it to Saluda cymbals in Columbia, SC and they cut it down to a 15'. Wow, that cymbal sounds amazing and looks great!
1 Avanti red 18" crash. It's an AV5000 made in Germany. Very gong like. If I ever have to play drums in a play and introduce the King...I'm prepared.
All for $325. I'll manage photos when everything is cleaned up and ready to go. I just cleaned up the 13 x 9 tom and except for a few small invisible scratches it is mint. Looking forward to reviving this kit.

I live near Pittsburgh and was leaving for Cleveland area to visit my Mom. On a whim I figured I'd just check the CLE craigslist before I left. I find a Gretsch Brooklyn 4 pc, 6 months old, for $1300. The guy was kind of strange but he said he needed to move it in order to get a Broadkaster. I was like........mmm, ok then !! Still have it and absolutely love the kit.

Attachments

• 005a.jpg
    005a.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 159
I have a BUNCH! But the most recent was yesterday... Picked up a Mapex Orion (most recent version) 12x8, 15x14, 22x18 in excellent condition, with a tom mount, floor tom legs, and heavy duty Beato bags, for $400.

I live near Pittsburgh and was leaving for Cleveland area to visit my Mom. On a whim I figured I'd just check the CLE craigslist before I left. I find a Gretsch Brooklyn 4 pc, 6 months old, for $1300. The guy was kind of strange but he said he needed to move it in order to get a Broadkaster. I was like........mmm, ok then !! Still have it and absolutely love the kit.

Not to threadjack my own thread but I am originally from near Cleveland and lived in Pittsburgh for a few years. As a Browns fan, that was very rough...
I also apparently lived a few blocks from legendary Pittsburgh drummer Poogie Bell... never sought him out tho. Good call checking Cleveland CL, I should do that before I visit for the holidays. I do know that when I search GC used there's often good stuff in the North Olmsted location.

I have a BUNCH! But the most recent was yesterday... Picked up a Mapex Orion (most recent version) 12x8, 15x14, 22x18 in excellent condition, with a tom mount, floor tom legs, and heavy duty Beato bags, for $400.

Holy Moly! What a steal. I'd love to see some pictures of that.

Not to threadjack my own thread but I am originally from near Cleveland and lived in Pittsburgh for a few years. As a Browns fan, that was very rough...
I also apparently lived a few blocks from legendary Pittsburgh drummer Poogie Bell... never sought him out tho. Good call checking Cleveland CL, I should do that before I visit for the holidays. I do know that when I search GC used there's often good stuff in the North Olmsted location.

Good story. I'm also originally from CLE area and a Browns fan living in da 'Burgh. If they start busting on me I go right the fact that Pirates are the only sports franchise in history that had 20 straight losing seasons. That usually quiets them down.

Haven't had a chance to give them a deep cleaning yet. But they look pretty damn nice to me. Oh, and I think the bass drum may be 22x20 (not 18). Gotta measure.

Attachments

• IMG_20181113_085200.jpg
    IMG_20181113_085200.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20181113_085220.jpg
    IMG_20181113_085220.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_20181113_085228.jpg
    IMG_20181113_085228.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 148

Good story. I'm also originally from CLE area and a Browns fan living in da 'Burgh. If they start busting on me I go right the fact that Pirates are the only sports franchise in history that had 20 straight losing seasons. That usually quiets them down.

Sure does! I also lived there the first time LeBron left and those Yinzers loved rubbing it in my face... until I would ask who the Pittsburgh NBA team was. At any rate, beautiful city with great people (sports loyalties notwithstanding) and I miss it often. Carry on, and Go Browns!

Quick story...

I found an Craigslist ad for band auditioning for a band. So we agreed on a date and time. Little did I know the band was just East of Jesus in the middle of nowhere. The place was a trailer home and the practice space was a cheap detached metal shed (no insulation), just big enough to hold the 4 of us. The audition started when the temps were reasonable, but the sun began to set and I froze my ass off. Also this was the Fall time frame only to get colder.

After going through a bunch of run of the mill standards, the guys decided it time for a smoke break, despite some of them already smoking while playing.

That was my opportunity to say thanks and see ya.

Note: I HATE smoking. I knew immediately when they lit up... I was done. I was just being kind to stick around to the end. Also, I've declined joining a band a couple of times because of smoking.

Quick story...

I found an Craigslist ad for band auditioning for a band. So we agreed on a date and time. Little did I know the band was just East of Jesus in the middle of nowhere. The place was a trailer home and the practice space was a cheap detached metal shed (no insulation), just big enough to hold the 4 of us. The audition started when the temps were reasonable, but the sun began to set and I froze my ass off. Also this was the Fall time frame only to get colder.

After going through a bunch of run of the mill standards, the guys decided it time for a smoke break, despite some of them already smoking while playing.

That was my opportunity to say thanks and see ya.

Note: I HATE smoking. I knew immediately when they lit up... I was done. I was just being kind to stick around to the end. Also, I've declined joining a band a couple of times because of smoking.

I worked for a tech company that was run by two couples that chain smoked.

Every morning we would have a meeting and they smoked for one hour straight in a closed room.
Both guys had had heart attacks in their 30's.

I lasted about 3 months and blew it off.

Back