Gavin Harrison here!

And that magic trick was very cool!

:p Can someone explain? I live in Argentina, so it's not likely I'll see Porcupine Tree live for a while, and everyone's talking about some "trick". Would really like to know XD!

Oh, yeah, I'll use this post to also ask a question since I'm at it. It's about Slippin' Away at PASIC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKCIUpW3q9s) At 2:00 you play a short displacement which I think is something like this:

I know it's pretty simple, but I really like how it sounds and I was wondering if that's close.
Alright, thanks Gavin, I hope everything is going well with the tour!

Fox.

Last edited:
Oh, yeah, I'll use this post to also ask a question since I'm at it. It's about Slippin' Away at PASIC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKCIUpW3q9s) At 2:00 you play a short displacement which I think is something like this:

I know it's pretty simple, but I really like how it sounds and I was wondering if that's close.
Alright, thanks Gavin, I hope everything is going well with the tour!
Fox.

There's a complete transcription of Slippin' Away here.
The part you meant is bar 62.

Greets
huXler

Gavin, I enjoyed meeting you in Philadelphia - an 8 hour drive for me, waiting an hour in the rain after the show just to say hello - well worth it! Thanks for taking the time to acknowledge your fans, I know you all must be knackered... You crew seemed very meticulous - I'm sure your grateful to have them with you.

Wonderful show, only thing I missed was the drum solo ;-) Hope to see you in the Spring.

Jiva

Fantastic show in Boston last night. Having only seen the band on DVD, where you all seem quite serious, it was quite refreshing to see the looseness and humor at this show plus an absolutely stellar setlist. Was I hallucinating or on Muzak, in the first chorus, did you continue to play the chorus part going into the short bridge before the second verse?. If so, you made the best recovery ever..

great magic trick as well

good luck on the rest of the tour...

Great show last night! Unfortunately (at least where i was standing, right near Steven) the bass drum in the mix was a bit too loud, even for the opening band, but other than that it was a great solid show.
One question about the show though, how come you guys didn't play the entire Anesthetize or Russia on Ice though? I mean I know you probably have a time restraint, but I guess I'd rather hear one or the other all the way through, like you either played Bonnie or Remember Me Lover it looked like from other setlists, and was expecting you to go nuts on the drums at the end of Russia that was cut :\ Just me though, I don't mean to complain, but some of my favorite PT moments are at the end of Anesthetize. You know if the entirety of Anesthetize will be on the upcoming DVD at least?
But yeah, that guitar Steven had there during Russia was pretty much the coolest thing I have ever seen, and the show as a whole I will probably remember for a very long time, though it would have been better if those guys weren't smoking pot behind me and my friends... why can't they just enjoy the show like everyone else :p
I also do wish I didn't miss out on the meet and greet, though I heard someone in the band was feeling ill and you left in like a half hour anyways, but idk, maybe you could help clear that up.

Oh yeah, and thanks for the magic trick in the middle of Trains. Very entertaining :]

Hey Gavin can't wait to see, you, Porcupine Tree and King's X tomorow (september 29th) in MOntreal , it will be a very great show!

Hi Cowieee

What are the chances of PT coming to Australia, particularly, Perth?

We're hoping to come back to Australia early next year but I don't know exactly which towns we'll come to.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

I can play along with Schism, note for note on the drums, but I don't really sense or hear the time signature changes. Mainly, it sounds like 5/4 or 10/4 to me. What do you think of it? Is it a song you've played along to on your set?

I hear the verse groove as 5/8 + 7/8 I haven't tried playing along to it.

Speaking of drumsets, you both use Sonor kits, have you ever incorporated electronic trigger pads into your set? Or do you prefer purely acoustic kits?

I don't use any pads or triggers in my set - I prefer to keep it all acoustic.

Hi DrummerStan

Did you add a new china to your setup? Looked like you had another, maybe 20 or 22 inch to the left of you.

Yes it's a 22" Swish Knocker without the rivets.

Hi daniele

I have a question: my set is: 10 - 12 - 14 - 16, and i have problems of tunes, because of course you know, the interval from 12 to 14 sometimes is too much little and from 12 to 16 sometimes is too much big! Also, sometimes i like to have the 14's tom on the left of set. You have the same sizes, but i remember when you had a 15's tom in the Pearl set. How i can resolve this problem? Do you tune your 16's tom like a 15?

In my UK Sonor set I have a 15" & 16" floor tom. I prefer the 15" to a 14".

Hi gibeachhead

I had a question, I noticed you were using Vic Firth's sticks with a red lower half. I checked online and it appears that they are these: http://www.vicfirth.com/products/ame...c_vicgrip.html. I was curious as to how well they work?

Yes they are the Rock model and I'm really enjoying the Vic Grip. Everything feels slightly more secure.

Hi Fox622003

:p Can someone explain? I live in Argentina, so it's not likely I'll see Porcupine Tree live for a while, and everyone's talking about some "trick". Would really like to know XD!

Don't worry about it - it's just a joke.

Yes your transcription looks good to me.

Hi Iamperjay

Was I hallucinating or on Muzak, in the first chorus, did you continue to play the chorus part going into the short bridge before the second verse?. If so, you made the best recovery ever..

Yes I didn't know what day it was and I thought we were playing the 2nd chorus which is twice as long as the first one.

Hi The Bassist

One question about the show though, how come you guys didn't play the entire Anesthetize or Russia on Ice though?

We don't have the time to play all of the songs in their entirety. We're trying to fit in as much of the older stuff as we can but we're already playing more than 30 minutes more than usual.

cheers
Gavin

Just a word from me:

THANK YOU SO MUCH GAVIN for taking time to answer all these questions. This means a lot to us on Drummerworld Forum and also for me personally. So great - thanks again. What a difference to some other name drummers which only comes in to toot their horn or praise some of their new products and dissappear for a long time in the dust.....

And to our members: Thanks for your great questions - drumwise, technique wise. But please don't ask for Gavin's opinion about other drummers or bands too much - this becomes very quick uncomfortable ....and is also the reason, why so many top drummers avoid to join forums at all.

And yes - love the Swish Knocker too - not easy to handle - would probably be a good idea for me to remove some rivets too.

Bernhard

Gavin, I was reading an "over practice" thread about trying to not get in a rut or being too tired mentally from practice long hours at one go... Everyone asks you how you warm up but I was wondering how you personally keep "fresh" on tour. I've seen the "hand blister/callous fotos" and I realize the toll on the body but how about the mind?

You have awesome music but playing night after night and riding around all over the planet (in the rain!) I know you guys must be kinda cooked - what are you doing to try to keep focused, fresh, and not get boiled by the shear volume and intensity of the tour. Please know that I thought the band sounded very relaxed and very together but I was hoping you'd share some personal thoughts on the fatigue issues that naturally come with the profession.

Thanks,

Jiva

Just a word from me:

THANK YOU SO MUCH GAVIN for taking time to answer all these questions. This means a lot to us on Drummerworld Forum and also for me personally. So great - thanks again. What a difference to some other name drummers which only comes in to toot their horn or praise some of their new products and dissappear for a long time in the dust.....
I echo this statement. Thanks for all your precious time and patience. It is very appreciated. I'll be at the show tonight, can't wait.

Gavin -

thanks for taking the time to address our questions - it is most appreciated! My question:

I'm usually pretty good at figuring out patterns, but I have to ask - at the end of the heavy middle section of "Way Out of Here," when you play it live, it gets insanely intense with a whole bunch of china hits over choppy double kick patterns - what's going on here? It's hard for me to make out these fast patterns; what are the typical kick / china patterns you might be using on that part?

All the best-
Cyg

Well, the day is finally here!! My girlfriend and I are sitting in our hotel room right around the corner from the Metropolis in rainy Montreal resting our sore feet before heading over to wait for the big show. I can't wait much longer (good thing I don't have to). I've been so looking forward to hearing you play this stuff live, Gavin. The new album is incredible, and I see today that David Fricke at Rolling Stone agrees. Congrats to you and the other guys for all of the great reviews the album and tour have been getting!! I'll see YOU tonight! ;)

Kev

Gavin, I just wanted to let you know, the show on Saturday in Philly was AMAZING!!!

I did want to ask you something, if you can remember...right after the solo in Sound of Muzak, you played a fill before coming back into the chorus, you ended it a little late ( I think you came in on the 2?). Anyway, I was wondering, was that something you were planning on, or did you just accidentally come in late? Either way, it was awesome considering you knew exactly where you were when you came out of it.

P.S. I was so freakin' excited when you guys started playing Bonnie The Cat. I think I actually shrieked like a little girl when it started. I cannot get enough of that song!!

G'day gavin congrats on the new album. Not as much "drumming" as FOABP but you support the whole song cycle just awesomly. i was just wondering. in the end of Octane Twisted how did you record that beat? and what is the cymbal that you use? is it a hammerax boomywang or the swish knocker mentioned earlier? also in your career have you had and injuries sustaned from drumming? thanx and i look forward to seeing you on tour hopefully soon. cheers

Hi Gavin, just wanna say thanks for the great show in Montreal, i traveled from Quebec to get there, it was amazing, great set list! Haha Gavin the magician!, i just want to know something, are you playing the exact same set list every show or you just go random on the 2nd set?

Thx Again!

One question about the show though, how come you guys didn't play the entire Anesthetize or Russia on Ice though?

We don't have the time to play all of the songs in their entirety. We're trying to fit in as much of the older stuff as we can but we're already playing more than 30 minutes more than usual.

cheers
Gavin

Yeah, I figured that was it, but it was still a great show anyways and I am grateful that those songs were played at all, especially with that guitar with the screen on it. You have any idea what type of guitar that was? I've never even heard of a guitar like that before.

I do have one drumming related question though, if you don't mind.
In Gravity Eyelids you do that fill at about 6:18 that sounds awesome. I found a post a while back from this thread where you said it was a R L R R L pattern that you used, but I still can't seem to figure it out. I realize you're on tour so transposing it to sheet music might not be doable for you, but maybe one of the other guys here who does that could point me in the right direction?

This is the oldest footage of Gavin I have ever seen. Gavin, you look like your about 18 here !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MQy-F0w-BI&feature=related

Wow yes, considering your age and tightness in that video, no wonder you're this good now:D!
It's awesome to me how one already recognises your style and language, as well as your drum setup, hehe. It's a real sign of musicality and identity I believe, because if a young drummer "just" has technique, he sounds like all the other technique wizards with no character, and won't be recognized 25 years later... If you guys know what I mean...

ptinhtcafe.jpg

Review in Hindustan Times Cafe :)

Back