Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin,

just saw you again with PT in Milan some days ago, still speechless.....great new material, great band, greatest drummer around. I really didn't expect such a level of playing, much better than the In Absentia first tour (which was already mind-blowing), you really seemed a tighter band. And you rocked ! You are really one of the best, if not the best, period.

Actually I'm not a latecomer fan, I'm following you for many years now, since the Stewart/Gaskin (really liked the super intro in "8 Mile High"....), Dizrhythmia and Mick Karn albums, and I bought your CD immediately after the release. Being Italian, I also know your work for many artists over here, notably Claudio Baglioni. You were the reason to watch ALL the episodes of the "Anima Mia" TV Show, ah aha !

I'm actually a big Bruford fan and I read several interviews (not one, several...) in which he pretty much stated "want to learn drumming ? study Gavin Harrison"

Keep up ! Ciao, Andrea

Last edited:
Hi Gavin,
I'm a brand new member of this Forum and I'm here thanks to the link on your website.
I saw you in Milan last week and your drumming always keep me breathless (the first time was on the In Absentia Tour).

Some months ago, I bought your "Rhythmic Visions" dvd through Burningshed.com and now my collection includes "Rhythmic Horizons"... Well, what can I say? Now I've got a lot to study and practice!!!

Thank you Gavin!

Stefano

PS: the displacement concept is amazing!

Last edited:
Gavin,
I was curious as to your creative approach towards the 9/8 drum pattern in "The Start of Something Beautiful." Which came first the drumbeat or the bassline?

MM

Hi Stefano - thanks for the comments.

Hi Mike,
that song actually started with the drum pattern. One day I was listening to a Sting song called "Big Lie" and I really didn't like the programmed drum pattern...in fact I was disappointed that Vinnie Colaiuta (who played on most of the other songs) hadn't played on that 9/8 song. He's always so good at that kind of thing. Anyway I played along with it to see if I could find a nice groove. A few months later I stumbled across my 9/8 rhythm again and started to work on it. I also wanted a contrasting groove that was much more nervous - so I came up with the 5/8 part. In fact I called it "9 to 5". Steve Wilson came round and I suggested the type of bass line that would follow the drums. We went through the sections and he played the bass along with my drums.

Cheers
Gavin

Gavin:

I'm an old dude and drumming has always been my passion. Over the years I've always played small time and never really tried to kick it up a notch so to speak. One day a few months back Iwoke up one morning and decided to try to kick it up a notch. Discovered the Drummerworld web site
discovered you and of course the other great drummers who have made contributions to this site and I thank you all for this. My notch is kicking up and as for you, I haven't heard a drummer as sweet since Prairie Prince or Billy Cobham. Thanks for the music I'll be looking for your works. Musical drummers are a rear find these days.

thombo

Gavin Harrison said:
Thanks Thombo,
glad to hear that your notch is kicking up...I never stop working on mine.

"Musical drummers are a rear find these days"

Do you mean "rare" ?...I hope so.

Cheers
Gavin

Gavin:

thanks for your reply..YES I mean RARE!

RGDS

Thombo

Gavin,
I've been playing "Futile" with my band lately and i was wondering about the truncated intro part around 0:21 to 0:30 sec. Whose idea was that and where on gods green earth did it come from? Thanks.

MM

Hi Gavin,

I saw your show last night in Essen, it was amazing!!! The sound was great, the new songs awesome! You really made my day ;-)
Although I´m a guitarist I´m very interested in your drumplay, I love it! Especially all these displacement things are fascinating... (I bought the "Arriving somewhere... DVD yesterday, your "solo" in Hatesong is a quite good example...)
I read here before, you don´t see yourself as a double-bass player... This killer part during the "epic" 17 minute long song impressed me much! It was perfect, it came totally surprising and unexpected.

Thanks for that great evening! Good luck with recording the new album. I can hardly wait to hear it and see you again on your next tour!

Cheers,
MadGuitar

Hi Mike,
the mad rhythmic part you're talking about was of my design....and I don;'t think it came from this earth !!!

Hi Mad Guitar,
glad you enjoyed the show. I actually had the worst night so far because of the on stage sound and the fact that I felt distracted by all the photographers being so close. I still think I suck on double bass....apart from that it was great!!

Cheers
Gavin

Hey Gavin,
I have a strange and piculiar question for you, considering this is drum forum. My band and I have a show in a couple of weeks and we wanted to introduce "Futile" into the set. Me being a perfectionist, i wont settle for doing anyone elses music half-assed (especially PT's). I have every piece of the puzzle except for the chord progression John Wesley plays during the verse section. If John or Steven are on any forums, please point me in the right direction. But i also understand that you guys are crazy busy. I really cant imagine how you find the time to answer all of our questions, to be honest with you. So If you could help me out in any way shape or form, that would great. Thanks.

MM

p.s. I laughed for a good solid minute after i read your post on the Mad Rhythm from beyond! It's actually my favorite part to play in that song. Just feels right! :)

Wow, I'll be there!
Thanks for the answer, Gavin.

Cheers
Stefano

Gavin Harrison said:
Hi Stefano,
yes I'm hoping to do a series of clinics in Italy probably at the start of next year (Jan/Feb 2007).
Sergio is a great guy - he arranged my last Italian clinic tour in 2003.

cheers
Gavin

Hi, Gavin

My Name is Jop.. yesterday I went to one of the concerts of Porcupine tree....
This is really my favorite band....
My question is.....
Do you really play 17/16 in Hallow or ist it 5/8 5/8 7/8.....
and if its tru... how can I easly count that!!!!!

Damn He is A Great creative Drummer!!!!!

excuse my for my English... :)

Hi Mike,
I don't know the chord progression for that part. You might find some answers at the PT forum

http://www.porcupinetreeforum.co.uk

look in the "Musicians Discussion" section. If it's not there then request it - I'm sure someone will post it up.

Hi JopDrums,
I think of the middle section of Halo as 17/8
I know it's really broken down into 5/8 5/8 7/8 but I hear it as one large measure. I go through this pattern in some detail on my new DVD Rhythmic Horizons.

cheers
Gavin

Gavin - just a note of thanks: Your playing has been a huge source of inspiration to me of late, and always look forward to hearing/seeing more. Thank you.

I came across this Neil Peart interview, and wasn't sure if you were aware of your mention:

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Lowdown/2006/09/29/1918424-ca.html
Which drummers do you like to listen to nowadays?
Along with all the drummers I have always enjoyed, and still listen to and appreciate (many mentioned in the DVD and related material), I like what Gavin Harrison is doing with Porcupine Tree, and on his instructional DVDs. His playing and his thinking are interesting, musical, and inspiring.
...couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks again!

Gavin,

I must admit I really enjoy your drumming style, I've already picked a few tricks by listening to some PT tracks hehehe...

anyway, the main reason for having signed up to this forum is because Ive been trying to get in contact with steven wilson, however, I dont have his email, nor would I ask you to post it here as it would be a breach to his privacy.

I've been playing with a few friends on and off, mainly because we live in separate countries (I live in turkey, the other in germany, the other in the states). We used to go to the same highschool in germany. However we got the chance to get together in turkey for 3 weeks and record a cd in a friends studio.

Let me get to the point. I’d be tremendously greatful if you did me a favor. Below I have a link, of one of our songs. Id like for you and/or Steven to listen to it. Tell me what you think/he thinks, I’d really like to get in contact with him directly, but im afraid my options are limited. And no-one in Turkey is interested with this sort of music. I understand if you may not do this, you must be a really busy person and I would not want to be a nuisance.

Heres the link:

http://visionschool.cndgroup.biz/21grams.html

If you want to get in contact with me (to hear more songs), you may email me at [email protected]
-Tamer

Back