Free floating vs lugged drums

Let me take this.

They are Canadian buttstrap killers. He trains them to zero in on Canadian buttstraps and poop on their heads. If one of these buttstraps has Mapexes, the birds are trained to peck holes in them for XLR jacks. He feeds them shredded up Saturn drums. Arctic White ones are their FAVORITE flavor.

:)
So glad to see you in a better mood my friend. :)

Let me take this.

They are Canadian buttstrap killers. He trains them to zero in on Canadian buttstraps and poop on their heads. If one of these buttstraps has Mapexes, the birds are trained to peck holes in them for XLR jacks. He feeds them shredded up Saturn drums. Arctic White ones are their FAVORITE flavor.

:)
Nice one Larry! :) We posted almost at the same time. The "buttstrap" returns!!

Glad you found my post informative Larry. Of course, it's only one opinion based on testing. I'm sure others could get different results.

I'm doing some A - B testing with Dean next week. Standard (awesome) Guru walnut stave tom vs. new (unknown quantity) Guru tom. Identical in every way except the lug/tensioning system. Should be either an eye opener, or a huge fail. There's no half measures in what we do. "Shoot for the stars" I say, then if you fail, you've still passed planets that others can only dream of! (not Saturn, obviously).

After 12+ years of gigging, me still loves my lugless drums...lol
285626_10150876319710001_829835000_19839534_2227310_n.jpg

285697_10150876332005001_829835000_19839848_8284020_n.jpg

263940_10150867240980001_829835000_19740231_4393696_n.jpg

Last edited:
larry, you start the best threads.

Loved KIS' post. I find this stuff fascinating, and often counterintuitive. It's great that we have someone who has spent so much hands-on time experimenting with this stuff.

Ha ha thanks 8Mile...No one has really followed up on any of Tards stuff, I always thought that the Peavey Radial design was sound...and I'm not usually conserned that much about looks...but the Radials just look so goofy...It's the AMC Pacer of drums lol. Sorry Tard, I bet they sound great though.

I find this stuff fascinating, and often counterintuitive.
And that's very true, in fact, it's when you decide to test stuff that theoretically shouldn't work well, that the real surprises pop up out of nowhere. Equally, there's some big surprises when you really test out some very established theories, only to find they're either application specific, or just plain wrong.

Tard, I bet they sound great though.
They do indeed sound good Larry, in fact, better than almost any current production ply shell kit you can name, at any price point. That's if you value extreme dynamic range & sustain, especially in the quieter registers. They're not for everyone of course, but they are a most valid design with unique sonic benefits. I really do believe that these drums, above all others, totally prove that most players are brand biased & buy with their eyes before their ears. Nothing wrong with that, but surprisingly few will actually admit it's the truth.

Reading this thread gets my hopes up that once I have my engineering degree I'll be able to eventually jump into the world of drum construction, provided I find the right "teachers" to "study" under...

Oh, pipe dreams...

Are there any lugged drums that come close to the dynamic range that these luggless one's have?

Ha ha thanks 8Mile...No one has really followed up on any of Tards stuff, I always thought that the Peavey Radial design was sound...and I'm not usually conserned that much about looks...but the Radials just look so goofy...It's the AMC Pacer of drums lol. Sorry Tard, I bet they sound great though.

No apology necessary as I think lugs are goofy, so were even...lol, JK... And yes they do sound great. I had sold my tama rockstars to buy them and eventually sold my pearl masters and my yamaha maple custom absolutes due to the fact that I basically stopped playing them after buying the radials.

BTW Whitney drums have a similar design except the "bridge" (or whatever their term is for it) is internal allowing the shell to be larger than the head size. Plus the ends come off to allow them to be nested for transport although I would imagine it would be quite heavy once there all stacked together. One thing puzzles me though, why build a lugless drum and then drill hole in it for the mounting bracket.

http://whitneydrums.com/wp/
nest_3.gif

penguin_large.gif

Last edited:
Back