Favorite Floor Tom

My Guru 16 x 15 English Ash floor tom will take on all comers. It's majestic.

My Tama bubinga 16x14". Very versatile, very dark and punchy. I can't say enough about it! I'd love to hear what an 18" version would sound like!

-Jonathan

It's a tie between my round badge Gretsch 16x16 and my Yamaha Stage Custom birch 16x16. (Of course I only have the two)

I just took delivery on two Pearl Reference Pure floor toms, 14x14 and 16x16 and right out of the box (I haven't tuned them yet) I'm getting those thunderous lows associated with a rounded bearing edge and inner plies of African mahogany mixed with maple (the bass drum is even more pronounced in this effect). I hate to say it but if they sound like this out of the box, I'm looking forward to what happens when I actually tune them. The drums sound like a recording.

Many moons ago I played a bright yellow premier resonator that had a 15 FT, it was just fantastic and really made a lot of sense melodically since I like a 13 rack tom tuned up a tad. The jump from 13 to 16 always causes some tuning compromises and 14 racks are too large (deep) and 14 floors tend in my experience to lack volume if you play a lot mixed patterns with a 22 sized kick and floor tom. I once played a kit that had an 18 FT it wasn't good and required a lot of welly to get it going.

Ludwig 14x14 floor toms from the 60s/early 70s are as good as it gets!

You are correct. Ambassador batter, Emporer reso, timbre tuned, with a bit of pitch bend, must be compared with the voice of God!

Back