Favorite bass player? Only one allowed

Jerry Only.
I know he's not as amazing as the pure beast bass players out there, but I don't care.. I love playing along to his songs! There's nothing better.

If I were to pick a technical master, probably Billy Sheehan... His solos are amazing.

If I were to pick someone inbetween, that I like playing to, then Cliff Burton. I love pulling out an Anasthesia (or Anasthesia inspired) solo!

Shuld read "favorite bass player other than Paul McCartney"? Not only my favorite, but best ever. Inventive way back to early 1960s when electric bass didn't even appear on pop/rock recordings. Please Please Me, to wit. Fixing a Hole years later. Evidence is endless.....

Chi Cheng- Deftones

Listen to the climax in Korea, its just bass and drums, its amazing. He plays a six string bass so he's not your normal bass player.

Dave Holland
Tim Lefebvre
Avishai Cohen
Jaco
Gary Willis
Tal Wilkenfeld
Ron Carter
Richard Bona
and on and on and on, way too many to choose one.

The Who's John Entwistle. That guy got nothin' but cooler as he got older.

Gotta go with Jaco.

For acoustic bass I very much enjoy Reid Anderson from the bad plus. I saw them live and (in addition to Dave King), it's incredible to see the intricate playing they both do, it can really only be experienced live.

I think I have to go with Leland Sklar. His parts are always perfect.

220px-Leland_Sklar_August_2007.jpg

And his beard ain't half bad either.

Didn't read the whole thread, but a search didn't turn up Uriah Heep's Gary Thain.

Another menber of the "27 Club."

Back