Expensive snares.

It's really difficult to tell which drums will appreciate over time. I bought a used 1966 Rogers holiday kit with a matching maple dyna-sonic 40 years ago for $400. the snare alone was worth $4000-$5000 when I sold it in 2008. I thought that was a pretty good return on investment, but I bought the snare 'cause it's the only one I wanted at the time. New, they were going for $125 and that seemed like a fortune

It's really difficult to tell which drums will appreciate over time. I bought a used 1966 Rogers holiday kit with a matching maple dyna-sonic 40 years ago for $400. the snare alone was worth $4000-$5000 when I sold it in 2008. I thought that was a pretty good return on investment, but I bought the snare 'cause it's the only one I wanted at the time. New, they were going for $125 and that seemed like a fortune

You got lucky with the DYNA-SONIC

this thread is Not about investing

Errr, ummm... yeah it is.

$11,000 for a snare drum you're not really going to play? Eleven grand, by anybodies standard is an 'investment' for a snare drum, no matter how you play it.

Maybe, just maybe the LUDWIG $11,000 gold plated will be worth some money in 40 years?

Attachments

• Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    443.1 KB · Views: 705
  • Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    286.7 KB · Views: 699
  • Picture 8.png
    Picture 8.png
    220.1 KB · Views: 697
Ironically, the Ludwig and Joyful Noise drum pics in this thread look, well, cheap. Very gaudy. Yeah, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I get it. Nonetheless, these things remind me of the wheels on the pimp mobiles I used to see back in the day.
Ouch! Not all of them are seen that way. Here's mine...

Attachments

• _DSC0007_2902_edited-1.jpg
    _DSC0007_2902_edited-1.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 732
Ouch! Not all of them are seen that way. Here's mine...

Your Joyful Noise is one Beautiful looking snare, And, I'd be willing to bet the sound is Beautiful as well. My Joyful Noise Purpleheart is anything but gaudy but that is just my opinion. To each his own, but I think Joyful Noise snares are worth every penny you spend on one.

I also like Craviottos, and I've been a Ludwig fan for almost 40 years.

This is the ultimate expensive snare to me. Noble & Cooley Zildjian bronze snare. 14x6.5 or a 14x5 in the exact alloy zildjian uses for their cymbals. I would love to have this snare, but not for $2500.. they aren't making them anymore so they are incredibly collectible.

Attachments

• Zildjian_Noble_and_cooley_snare.jpg
    Zildjian_Noble_and_cooley_snare.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 1,959
Back