Evan's Reso head question¿

dalekay9ine

Has anyone here tried the Evans Genera Reso (10 mil) and the Evans Black Reso (7.5 mil) ? I'm looking for a middle to slightly shorter sustain with a full round tone and projection. I've only ever tried G1 and EC2 Resos. I have a Tama Starclassic Walnut/ Birch kit. Any experience with either or both of these reso heads is greatly appreciated! Thanks

I have used Evans Genera reso and the Reso 7 (7 mil) on my Starclassic bubinga toms. The Reso 7 made the drums sound thin compared to the 10 mil Genera heads. I removed them after about a month of trial. Other than that, I've used the Genera reso heads for the last 17 years on this kit. I have a set of EC Resonant (1-ply, 10 mil) heads waiting for install later this year.

@bermuda posted years ago about his trial with using G1 batter heads for the reso side. IIRC, he stated the decay was too long for his liking.

Correction: Bermuda tried coated G14 and liked them.

Last edited:
I used the Reso7 coated heads on a cheap set of drums, with Hydraulics as batters. I can say that the sustain was short.

I think that head combination is best used for cheaper, hard to tune drums, so maybe avoid them on a nice set like yours.

I have used Evans Genera reso and the Reso 7 (7 mil) on my Starclassic bubinga toms. The Reso 7 made the drums sound thin compared to the 10 mil Genera heads. I removed them after about a month of trial. Other than that, I've used the Genera reso heads for the last 17 years on this kit. I have a set of EC Resonant (1-ply, 10 mil) heads waiting for install later this year.

@bermuda posted years ago about his trial with using G1 batter heads for the reso side. IIRC, he stated the decay was too long for his liking.
Thanks for the reply. I've never tried anything under a 10mil before. Sounds like the Genera's are more the sound I'm after. Thanks again!

I used the Reso7 coated heads on a cheap set of drums, with Hydraulics as batters. I can say that the sustain was short.

I think that head combination is best used for cheaper, hard to tune drums, so maybe avoid them on a nice set like yours.
Thanks for the reply, I've never tried anything below 10mil so I was curious and thought I'd ask here before spending all that $$ thanks!

Question for you Evans users - what is the difference between a Genera Resonant head (10 mil clear) and a G1 (10 mil clear) used on the resonant side?

Definitely not too long, but after some discussion in another thread, I tried their G14 coated as a reso and have been using those ever since. Nice resonance, and the coating tames it just enough. Unfortunately Evans doesn't offer that weight anymore.

Bermuda is certainly entitled to his opinion and preferences. Whatever works for the gig. That said, the vast majority of players have used 10 mil heads as reso heads since the dawn mylar drum heads. Certainly physics tells us that excited with sufficient energy, a thinner head will sustain less than a thicker one. As such, a thinner head will shorten the sustain of the drum. It will also generate more overtones and harmonics which will create a "thinner" sound

Definitely not too long, but after some discussion in another thread, I tried their G14 coated as a reso and have been using those ever since. Nice resonance, and the coating tames it just enough. Unfortunately Evans doesn't offer that weight anymore.
Your inventory of heads must be vast.... I envy you all mighty one!

I've used only one Genera reso on a floor tom and could not notice any significant difference from a G1, since both are 10 mil. If you are wanting a shorter sustain, perhaps try the 7 mil resos.

Here's the sound profile for the G1 and Genera:

1713292177697.png
1713292231434.png

And lastly, the 7 mil reso:

1713292309960.png

I've used only one Genera reso on a floor tom and could not notice any significant difference from a G1, since both are 10 mil. If you are wanting a shorter sustain, perhaps try the 7 mil resos.

Here's the sound profile for the G1 and Genera:

View attachment 145445
View attachment 145446

And lastly, the 7 mil reso:

View attachment 145447
Interesting. So, apart from the fact that they (logically) don't list stats for attack and durability on the reso head, there appears to be no difference.

Another question for the Evans fans among us - what does "Genera" mean? At one point I thought it meant an underlay ring, like Remo's Power stroke, but that doesn't seem to be the case. What feature does "Genera" indicate the presence of?

@Stroman, Drumhead Authority says that "the Genera head (not reso) is extremely sensitive and moderately focused, thanks to the thinner single ply and floating inlay ring. This is a well balanced coated drumhead that stops overtones ringing out of control." (Click on hyperlink to read entire article)

I have used the Genera batters on snares and like them a lot. But this is different than the Genera Reso, which does not have inlay ring.

Ah, the G14. Thanks for the clarification. I knew it was something different than the usual.

Have you considered G12 heads?

Back