emperor vs vintage

risewiththefallen

Hi guys. Tomorrow im going to be replacing the heads on my mapex saturn. I cant decide bbetween remo emperors or emperor vintage heads. I mostly play metal and love nice deep toms. The vintage are a mil thicker will this change the sound and durability greatly or only a little bit? For my snare i am thinking of the emperor x. Thoughts?

I recently changed from an Emperor to a vintage on my snare. I like it, but I didnt compare the two before changing it so i dont know if i noticed a difference. Im not sure I would play either on a tom if I played metal though? Have you looked at other heads?

Well i like open soundimg drums. Not a olot of muffling, but i also need durability so it kinda leaves me with emperors. My saturn came with emperors and they sound great i just wasnt shure if i could make them sound even.better. O also i was talking about clear emps and vintage not coated.

Well i like open soundimg drums. Not a olot of muffling, but i also need durability so it kinda leaves me with emperors. My saturn came with emperors and they sound great i just wasnt shure if i could make them sound even.better. O also i was talking about clear emps and vintage not coated.

Try the Smooth White Emperor. It is the same thickness as the Vintage Emperor, but with a slightly different film. To my ears it is the best "deep" sounding head, especially on floor toms. I also like the white head instead of clears, but I don't like coated heads on toms, so the Smooth White is my favorite.

Vintage Emps are going to be a little deeper sounding and a tad more muffled due to the thicker plys. I prefer the vintage lines over the modern ones. I know the standard Emp is a stand-by but I'd go with the Vintage ones.

Coated Vintage Emperors are my heads of choice for toms and snares.They will work fine for metal,as will standard Emperors. I don't mind Emperor Xs on metal snares but they are bit much on my wood drums.

I have wondered the same. I'm guessing it would have a little better attack too since it's thicker.

That's one of those difficult to make decisions though.. maybe one day i'll just buy a new one of both and test it on a tom and see what i like more hah.

But, maybe just go for it an get the vintage emp. It's thicker than the emp, but doesn't have the film like a pinstripe, so maybe it's a medium between the two?

I have mapex saturns and I tried a vintage emp, the drum didnt like it. I use regular emps and theyre solid but I think there is a better option I have yet to find. Might just have been my drum though I only tried it on one drum. $.02

I have the vintage emperor clears on my saturns and I like them a lot but the practice room I play in with my band is very bright and if the room was better setup for music the regular emperor clears would be just right.

i do like the slightly increased attack of the vintage emperors over the regular emperors, for rock music they are perfect.

For live and un mic'ed I'd prefer clear emperors but we only do a few gigs a year so far and the bars we play are very small in size so for now the vintage emps are keepers on my saturns.

I had a new snare built and it came with the Vintage head...within an hour the coating was popping off....tossed it for an Evans ST and no issues.

F

I had a new snare built and it came with the Vintage head...within an hour the coating was popping off....tossed it for an Evans ST and no issues.

F

double_G Made a thread about this recently for ambassadors. http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97899

Is your chipping coating similar to this? It sort of seems like Remo has changed their coating method / material. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this! Or at least they notice it and revamp their process before we do get to the bottom of it!

Back