Dynamics in playing metal

JJKK

Hey,

In trying to learn metal songs I get stuck in playing the parts of the song instead of flowing with the whole song in a sense.

The technique practice part goes fairly smoothly but getting in and out of tempo changes is a real challenge for me during trying to learn a song. It's not clicking for me.

Are there books, DVDs or anything else I could use to learn to be more musical ("groovy") with this style of music?

Sounds like you need to practice the transitions over and over.

Sounds like you need to practice the transitions over and over.
... Yeah seems it can be that.. Just going over the parts and just feeling the song out. I'm sure you'll run into problems as I see, but just keep playing it over and feel it out??

Hey,

In trying to learn metal songs I get stuck in playing the parts of the song instead of flowing with the whole song in a sense.

The technique practice part goes fairly smoothly but getting in and out of tempo changes is a real challenge for me during trying to learn a song. It's not clicking for me.

Are there books, DVDs or anything else I could use to learn to be more musical ("groovy") with this style of music?
... What music do you tend to play more?

Hey,

You need to post WAY more info or a video of you playing.

I don't know how long you have been playing, your ability, if you have taken any lessons etc. I don't know what your trying to play either. "metal" is pretty broad..What song are you trying to play? I don't know the transitions or anything about it..

If it's not grooving you could be playing too fast, or above your ability to make it groove... When I learn a song I write stuff down on paper to remind me of parts then play it over and over. But I have the technical ability and years of playing that I am not worrying about making it groove....

If you can already groove, learn the song, if you can't, learn to make the beats groove before trying to apply it to a speed that is too fast... Use a metronome, slow it WAY down, and get it tight. then slowly speed it up.

Yeah I kind of took some of the advice and attempted practicing the song parts at slower BPM. Makes more sense to practice that way.

I started by playing rock and hardcore songs, then I wanted to try death metal and metalcore and stuff I love to listen to occasionally. The endurance or rather lack of it is killing me in practice. I also get stiff and rush the playing when trying to follow a track that I'm not comfortable with.

Yeah I kind of took some of the advice and attempted practicing the song parts at slower BPM. Makes more sense to practice that way.

I started by playing rock and hardcore songs, then I wanted to try death metal and metalcore and stuff I love to listen to occasionally. The endurance or rather lack of it is killing me in practice. I also get stiff and rush the playing when trying to follow a track that I'm not comfortable with.

What song is it exactly that you're having troubles with? There are quite a few "metal" drummers on here that im sure are more than capable of helping ya out!

I'm practicing a few TBDM songs: Black Valor, I Will Return and Funeral Thirst.

Took time to find out the how fast these songs are supposed to be played. I'm too slow at the moment.

Endurance, technique, and timing need a lot of work too. I'll start posting videos when I get equipment.

Back