Drumless tracks

DrumWhipper

The drumless tracks with click tracks built in (they have them without click tracks also) on Spotify are absolutely fantastic to practice with. I’ve been doing this the last few days playing various genres, time signatures, etc. I know others often ask about drumless tracks so I just wanted to share what’s been working good for me here recently.

i found that playing to drumless tracks helps a lot. especially the ones with visual cues telling you the changing time signature on youtube.

Son of Vistalite Black's iPhone has the Moises app -- allowing one to hear any MP3 in four ways -- with either the drums, vocals, bass or guitar removed, with only one or more instruments (drum only) or with particular instruments not as loud.

Worked with the free version for a while, but stepped up to $3.99 per month.

i found that playing to drumless tracks helps a lot. especially the ones with visual cues telling you the changing time signature on youtube.
I have been fortunate enough to play for a few guys that are based out of Nashville. They want you to chart the songs out then play them with a click the way it is charted/played on the recording. Having the drumless tracks with a click built in helps tremendously with that.

I just search for drumless tracks (on Youtube) in various genre and some are pretty good-others not so much. I've been in a jazz-funk fusion phase so playing along with bands (it's a vibrant genre with lots of new jazz-fusion bands as well as old) and searching drumless tracks. A lot of the drumless tracks in that genre aren't very inspiring, but there are some Corey Wong/Fearless flyers/Vulpeck funky drumless tracks that sound pretty good and are fun to play along with.

I have a library I created with thousands of drumless tracks. It’s made me a better drummer. I play along to everything from country to Tool to jazz and funk. For me it gets me out of my comfort zone and I try to be a country drummer one day or a jazz drummer (which I suck at).

I wish I had access to drum less tracks as a teenager tho.

For straight ahead jazz, I Recommend the albums that Oscar Peterson recorded without drums. Ray Brown on bass, which can’t be beat!
The best. ☝️ Second best jazz play along I’ve found is a YouTube account called Mengotto Play Alongs. Not nearly as prolific as those Oscar Peterson recordings, but the Mengotto tunes are high quality, correct melody, drumless jazz that also have drum solo breaks. Good stuff.

I generally avoid the generic, fake melody, play alongs.

The best. ☝️ Second best jazz play along I’ve found is a YouTube account called Mengotto Play Alongs. Not nearly as prolific as those Oscar Peterson recordings, but the Mengotto tunes are high quality, correct melody, drumless jazz that also have drum solo breaks. Good stuff.

I generally avoid the generic, fake melody, play alongs.
Thanks for the tip. I’ve been playing for almost 50 years and I’m still trying to figure out the jazz ride/ time and lately my focus has to zero in on the bass, so drum -less tracks have helped.

I'm a big fan of these drumless tracks from Tim Baltes, also a big fan of his content on instagram as @timbofromkeno !
The tracks don't have a click included, but I find that means you have all sorts of freedom with how you play along.

He has also recently become teacher on Drum Hub along with some other well known drummies. Excited to see how that all goes!

https://slouxrecordingco.bandcamp.com/

Back