Drum Solo/Fill Letdowns

NVIC

You know, those tunes where you're hoping for a great solo and when it comes you're not impressed or expected more. We all know Phil Collins' little solo in In The Air Tonight. Another candidate is in the Led Zep tune Dyer Maker, right after Jimmy Page's solo, Bonham's little cymbal "hiccup" before Plant starts singing again.

Any other candidates?

I don't think that's a solo in In The Air Tonight... that seems more like a specific drum part... maybe a fill.

I'm not familiar with the Led Zep tune, but I don't think there were many drum solos on their studio albums, were there?

I read that Phil Collins was unsure what to do with the space in question. He finally put in that primitive fill and was astonished the public loved it. From a drummers perspective, it ain't much. Given how the whole song builds to that one magic moment, I find it disappointing.

By the way, if what I read about that fill proves incorrect, it wouldn't be the first time I accepted an "apocryphal" story as gospel.

You know, those tunes where you're hoping for a great solo and when it comes you're not impressed or expected more. We all know Phil Collins' little solo in In The Air Tonight. Another candidate is in the Led Zep tune Dyer Maker, right after Jimmy Page's solo, Bonham's little cymbal "hiccup" before Plant starts singing again.

Any other candidates?

I know what you mean. I do try to be open-minded about such things - allow the player to express himself, allow some degree of interpretation. Usually, as long as the 'spirit' of the song is followed, I won't quibble about following the 'letter'.

But I remember seeing Steve Miller in New Orleans many years ago, and he (of course) played all the hits. Some of those drum parts - and specific drum fills - are so iconic, I hear them as a part of the song's fabric, not just aural decoration. So when the touring drummer - who was technically excellent, by the way - basically skipped the 'must-have' fills on 'Fly Like and Eagle'and 'Keep On A-Rockin' Me', it left me empty.

Phil Collins fill a letdown?? I disagree.. apart from being an awesome drummer all round, and the guy that turned Genesis into the killer band it became after he joined.. that fill, although simple, it is a powerful musical statement..

a lot of non-drummers just lie in wait to get to that thundering tom fill. I suppose some drummer wonder why he didn't go for a triple ratamacue with a quad foot pattern.. but I find it difficult to argue with success.. being one of the biggest hits of all time (literally!). Go Phil!

Don't agree that the examples cited here are letdowns. Especially the Collins part, which has become a signature phrase. If Mike Tyson is air-drumming the drum part to a decades-old song in a hit comedy film, then I'd say it worked.

But I'm always surprised when drummers don't play the signature parts. I guess those artists don't care. But as a drummer who plays in several cover bands, I am positive that our commitment to reproducing those parts is appreciated by our audiences.

From a drummers perspective, it ain't much. Given how the whole song builds to that one magic moment, I find it disappointing.

OK, I just lost both you and the OP. That particular fill is one of the most recogizable and iconic drum parts in music history, and for good reason. Simple. Effective. The sound.

In what way can it be disappointing or a "letdown"? Because it is not quintuplets over a HH clave and double bass roll ostinato?

OK, I just lost both you and the OP. That particular fill is one of the most recogizable and iconic drum parts in music history, and for good reason. Simple. Effective. The sound.

In what way can it be disappointing or a "letdown"? Because it is not quintuplets over a HH clave and double bass roll ostinato?

Agreed. Its a signature fill. The fact its easy to play makes it even better. Its beauty being the context its played in.

Any other candidates?

Bonham had plenty of them iirc.

For one of my drum lessons as a youth, I brought in the CD "Presence" to my drum instructor. We went over some tunes including Achilles, which is what I wanted to learn the most. I thought Bonham was the perfect drummer. He said "well he wasn't that perfect..." and showed me the botched fill on "hots on for nowhere" 4:19..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U6t-EAUcUY&index=6&list=PLWRhxvQASiJ4_LjIVleCjduJ5nM1aSjn6

Any other candidates?

You're missing the point. The purpose of those fills (they're not solos) is not to be impressive to drummers. Those tracks are absolute classics, and you'd be better off trying to figure out why they're great than picking them apart for not being mind-blowing enough.

Bonham had plenty of them iirc.

For one of my drum lessons as a youth, I brought in the CD "Presence" to my drum instructor. We went over some tunes including Achilles, which is what I wanted to learn the most. I thought Bonham was the perfect drummer. He said "well he wasn't that perfect..." and showed me the botched fill on "hots on for nowhere" 4:19..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U6t-EAUcUY&index=6&list=PLWRhxvQASiJ4_LjIVleCjduJ5nM1aSjn6

Nah, Bonham is perfect!

I'd say the sound of those toms on the Collins fill are as much a part of the hook as the simplicity. It's like an archetype.... the sound a lot of non-drummers think should bellow from that unmiked, stock headed Imperialstar on the floor of GC if they sat down and played it.

More complicated doesn't equal better, less complicated doesn't equal worse, what works for the song is what matters.
Re the Phil Collins fill, if it had been a whirlwind around the toms which he's more than capable of doing I argue that it wouldn't have had the same effect. One of the most recognisable and effective parts ever written are the four notes that start Beethovens 5th Symphony, and I would not be surprised if you're humming it now as you read this.
As for the John Bonham fill, that was recorded in a time before pro tools, when studio time was at a premium and at a time before people had the inclination or equipment to play and replay music parts to pick them apart. If it worked well enough at the time then it stayed in. And who knows, perhaps he and the band picked up on it but decided just to keep it in?
And as philrudd said, keeping signature parts no matter how simple (or complicated) in live versions of songs is essential whatever instrument is being played. When either of my covers bands tackles a song THE most important thing for us to keep in are those signature bits. My main band has a woman singing songs that were made famous by male singers, none of us will be playing the same instruments through the same gear and getting the same sound as the original band, it may not even be played in the same key, but as long as those "touchstone" drum parts or sections of guitar solo are kept in then everyone's happy.

To paraphrase something WhoIsTony once said, the premise behind this thread is akin to suggesting that the Mona Lisa would've looked better with a distinct smile as opposed to the mysterious smirk da Vinci created.

An idea that has frankly never made much sense to me.

In the air tonight turned out perfect. Hit songs are not made to showcase the Drummer. That fill was on point and will be remembered and loved by people who have no interest in drums and Drummers alike. It goes back to less is more. Look at Rush songs, all most every one has some fairly intricate drum fills and such but they never had a top 10 hit either.

I thought Bonham was the perfect drummer. He said "well he wasn't that perfect..." and showed me the botched fill on "hots on for nowhere" 4:19..

I'll disagree and say he was doing a drop-flam-triplet thing to break up the idea that he was using the same timing on all the previous fills.

It's similar to when you might not do a fill at all because you've done one on the last two transitions because it breaks up the perception of trite predictability.

Back