Drilled Bass Drum to "Virgin" Bass Drum

chrisk301

I'm looking at a couple sets atm, one being a pearl mmx and the other a mapex saturn, and both of them have bass drum tom mounts. I personally prefer the look of the toms mounted off of stands and the versatility it offers.

So my question is, is it difficult to convert your tom mounted bass drum to a "virgin" bass. And do they make plates to cover the existing or do you need to have something special ordered or made? Thanks a bunch!

EDIT: As I was looking into the Saturn I saw it has an Isolated Tom Mounting System. I guess that means that there are no holes drilled in the bass drum for the mount. But Just in case I get the mmx any responses would still be appreciated. =]

Last edited:
Once somebody has drilled into it, it's not a virgin anymore.

You can plug the hole with a dowel and wrap the drum to cover it up. I'd rather order a virgin straight from the company, though.

You can cover it up with whatever you want. A friend of mine considered ordering a custom-made "badge" from a trophy shop with his contact info to put on the bass drum, over the hole. Not a bad idea, but I'd still go virgin from the get go.

Yeah..I decided on getting the Mapex Saturn and they have that iso-mount that nothing is drilled so I should be good to go. =D

Thanks for the ideas though. I'll keep it in mind in case any of drumming friends want to cover up a nasty hole :p

Be careful about misinterpreting the Isolated Tom Mounting System. It's my understanding that it means its' not mounted directly into the toms, but can still be a bass drum mount that's drilled through.

Pretty sure my meridians are I.T.M.S. and my bass drum is far from virgin.

Search the forum more on this. Someone here makes a plate specifically to address this issue and they had a post about it.

Another option is to flip the drum over, but you'd have to relocate the spurs, which may be easy to do with a dowel and some refinishing work.

I have an older version of Saturn kick. It has like a hole on it, but the previous owner threw away the mount or something. So if I buy a new Saturn and put it on the kick, it'd still work right?

EDIT: As I was looking into the Saturn I saw it has an Isolated Tom Mounting System. I guess that means that there are no holes drilled in the bass drum for the mount. But Just in case I get the mmx any responses would still be appreciated. =]

Mapex ITS .... take it off the kick drum .... virgin kick. http://www.mapexdrums.com/drums/saturn/glossary_saturn.html#holder "The bass drum's non-penetrating double tom holder features multi-directional adjustment for precise set-up. The tom holder mechanism is also completely removable for players that prefer tom stands."

Back