Does Smoking Bad for Drum Kits?

Speaking of smelling the affects of smoke, this morning I went up the elevator in my office, and I could immediately tell that someone returning from a smoke break outside had used the elevator before me. It was incredibly potent.

I know this is off topic, but just out of curiosity for those who smoke: Are you able to make it through an entire set at a gig without taking a smoke break? How about at practice? I know my band goes at it for 3-4 hours at a time with no breaks, but none of us smoke. How is that handled by smokers?

Back in 94 I bought a Pearl MLX kit in white oyster wrap. Shortly after I took the kit on a 4 month tour playing smoky clubs. At tours end the kit had been stained yellow. The sound was not affected, but the finished was ruined.

He's letting you know that unlike other kits this one won't go through withdrawal if a non smoker takes it home.

I take it as the merchandise doesn't smell because of the smoke.

Ditto this. No one wants the stale putrid odor of smoke clinging to their drums. I see this all of the time.

And smoke machines are dry ice and warm water not smoke

Given the chioce and all other things being equal, I would choose the kit that was "stored in my smoke-free, environmentally controlled home recording studio" over the one that was not, anyday.

It's definitely all about the smell. As a prior smoker, I can smell tobacco smoke a mile away. Unless I REALLY liked it, I wouldn't buy a kit if it was in a heavy smokers house.
If I did, it would get completely stripped and wiped down inside and out.

Re: Is Smoke Bad for Drum Kits?

This thread's title hates grammar. (I fixed it on mine!)

Here in Michigan smoking has been banned in bars and restaurants for about a year now. My band started playing together a year and a half ago or so, and as a non-smoker I absolutely love the change. I no longer feel sick after spending all night at the bar (an hour or two never bothered me, but going on 6+ hours proved difficult), and I do like that none of my clothes (or drums!) smell like smoke upon returning home.

Speaking of smelling the affects of smoke, this morning I went up the elevator in my office, and I could immediately tell that someone returning from a smoke break outside had used the elevator before me. It was incredibly potent.

I know this is off topic, but just out of curiosity for those who smoke: Are you able to make it through an entire set at a gig without taking a smoke break? How about at practice? I know my band goes at it for 3-4 hours at a time with no breaks, but none of us smoke. How is that handled by smokers?
I'm one of two guys in a five-person band who do NOT smoke. We take breaks after an hour, hour-and-a-half or so. I'm sure we could go longer without a break, and I might try enforcing longer practice times except for the fact that smoke breaks are possibly the best opportunity for us to really talk shop. Band meetings can be a difficult thing to have when all the band members have their instruments in front of them.

I'm not a smoker, so the thing I notice is definitely the smell. All my equipment reeks from playing in smoky bars. I can shower my body and wash my clothes, but the drums and cases take a LONG time to lose that funk.

I can see why it might be a good idea to put that in an ad.

I think temperature and humidity would be much more important than cigarette smoke but I can see the drums absorbing some of the odor.

If it were a light-colored finish, I could see it yellowing from being in a smokey space. Like my old "white" Les Paul that spent the majority of its early life in smokey practice spaces.

Someone get that drumset an electronic cigarette or some nicorette! LOL

Back