Does Mapex make individual toms?

Ameer27

So I bought the Mapex Voyager, but it comes with only three toms. I might in the future want to add an extra tom.

Is this a possibility? Can I contact Mapex for this matter? Do they make individual toms, and how much do you think it might cost me?

Thanks.

Yes, you can usually order separate toms.
Contact your local Mapex dealer, or your country's Mapex distributor. They'll be able to help you out.

No expert here - sorry - but you always have the option to get individual drums used. Some finishes are more frequent though so adding to your collection might take some time (or you settle with having some additional drums in various finishes).

Yes, you can usually order separate toms.
Contact your local Mapex dealer, or your country's Mapex distributor. They'll be able to help you out.

I searched in Google for my country's Mapex distributor, and they had the website of the store I bought the drum set from. So should I just go to the store or contact them about this matter? Oh, and does this mean they are my country's Mapex distributor?

Thanks a lot.

I searched in Google for my country's Mapex distributor, and they had the website of the store I bought the drum set from. So should I just go to the store or contact them about this matter? Oh, and does this mean they are my country's Mapex distributor?

Thanks a lot.

I don't know if that means your store is the distributor, but they'll definitely be able to help you out.

Depending on where in the world you are, have a look at ebay/craigslist/gumtree- you might have to wait for one that is the same finish, but if you're going to find it anywhere, that's the best bet.

Oh, I get it. Then I might have to get a different kind of tom. But what about the finish? Do you have any suggestions where I can find/buy separate toms (even if not Voyager)?

I've got an idea. I've checked the website, and the Meridian Maple has separate toms, and it also comes in black (like the Voyager). So I think it's also an option to get a Meridian Maple tom instead of a Voyager one, right?

If the hardware and finish are the same then the only difference could be shell material and construction. For example maybe you have a birch medium shell drum and the other series is Maple thin shell. So even though its the same finish and hardware on the outside it might sound different based on shell construction and material.

If you don't mind having a pieced together Frankenstein kit, you can add whatever you want.

If you want to order new individual drums to match an existing set, you usually have to go up the line a bit, to get past a certain price point, where it pays for the manufacturer to sell pieces individually.
Even then, you'll pay a higher price for components individually, than you would if you bought them in a set where they're included as part of the standard configuration.

... the Meridian Maple has separate toms, and it also comes in black (like the Voyager). So I think it's also an option to get a Meridian Maple tom ....
That certainly is an option. Voyager is poplar, so, while a maple add-on might sound a little different, it's not gonna be heard by probably 95% of listeners. And if your wanting a smaller add-on (going on the end), it's gonna be even less noticeable. Example .... a 10" tom sounds different (anyways) than a 12". It's when you sandwich a different add-on between two other drums, that you'll more notice a difference. And even then, you can make that work. A different head combo on the odd-man-out drum can bring it "sonically" into line, with the others.​

That certainly is an option. Voyager is poplar, so, while a maple add-on might sound a little different, it's not gonna be heard by probably 95% of listeners. And if your wanting a smaller add-on (going on the end), it's gonna be even less noticeable. Example .... a 10" tom sounds different (anyways) than a 12". It's when you sandwich a different add-on between two other drums, that you'll more notice a difference. And even then, you can make that work. A different head combo on the odd-man-out drum can bring it "sonically" into line, with the others.​

Ok, I understand. Thanks a lot for the information.

If you don't mind having a pieced together Frankenstein kit, you can add whatever you want.

If you want to order new individual drums to match an existing set, you usually have to go up the line a bit, to get past a certain price point, where it pays for the manufacturer to sell pieces individually.
Even then, you'll pay a higher price for components individually, than you would if you bought them in a set where they're included as part of the standard configuration.

Well, if I don't find a tom in the finish I want, then I don't think I would mind having a pieced together Frankenstein kit, lol. :) But the question is if it will look good...

Guys, can't I add toms of different brands, like Pearl for example? Because I found some in black finish on eBay, and they're cheap.

Back