Cymbal regret

this only ever happened to me with a 14" A Paper Thin Crash from the first run in 90's...I thought it would be more shimmery

it is the only cymbal I own that has never been played live or in the studio

I’ve also gone through this. But I suppose I could keep it for when I need that sound. I mean, it’s not like it’s a Paiste Alpha or one of those lines I’d never play. It sounds a lot like Steve Gadd’s ride cymbal I heard on all those records he made in the 70s - good ping, but no real spread or shimmer. So I can make it work if I have to. But if I have a favorite that I’ll use all the time, not sure I’d ever get around to using this one.
I had a similar feeling when I had the same cymbal years ago. It just turned out not to be the sound I was after. I never really liked the bell on it either.

I eventually discovered I don't actually like that dark trashy sound, at least in my own playing. I now use a lot of 602 Modern Essentials and Big Beats. That's about as far into that direction as I go.

My ear just likes the cleaner sound of Giant Beats, 2002s, and 602s...even though I can appreciate other series like the Masters.

Reactions: I-P
I’ve also gone through this. But I suppose I could keep it for when I need that sound. I mean, it’s not like it’s a Paiste Alpha or one of those lines I’d never play. It sounds a lot like Steve Gadd’s ride cymbal I heard on all those records he made in the 70s - good ping, but no real spread or shimmer. So I can make it work if I have to. But if I have a favorite that I’ll use all the time, not sure I’d ever get around to using this one.

Nice thing about cymbals: they don't take up much space. Holding on to the occasional "dud" won't be a logistical burden.

If I were you, I'd hold onto it for maybe a year and use it on occasion. You may change your mind and it might grow on you. I have a couple of cymbals like that. I generally don't use them, but every once in a while they're just right. Two that come to mind are a 21" Zildjian Rock Ride from the 70's and a 20" Sabian HH medium ride.

If you still don't like it after that, there's always Ebay or selling on this forum. It happens to the best of us.

"sometimes ya can't beat an old hammer and nail"

Last edited:
Before selling it, maybe try it in a different room if you haven't done so.

Also, there's no shame in something not working out. I'm sure someone else will be happy to take it off your hands and enjoy it.

As someone who buys then sells a lot of gear I can confidently tell you once your mind is made up it is very difficult to sway that. Sounds like your mind is made up, time to pass along a nice cymbal to someone else who may dig it more.

You’re right. I have it up for sale.
No harm no foul in giving something an honest try. Pass along a deal on a barely used cymbal, recoup some of your losses, and call it a day. Life is far too short to spend time forcing yourself to like something.

I have an etched logo 22" Light that's one of my favorite lighter rides. It's usually too light for me, but it also makes a fantastic giant crash cymbal. I think mine has plenty of shimmer, as do my 18" and 20" Traditionals Thin Crashes, though it's about 25 years older and is obviously darker sounding. It's like an idealized American K of sorts to my ear. But it does also seem to benefit from sticks with small tips.

The new one at 2112 sounds pretty similar, but does have that "new cymbal" open top end.

I would definitely be interested to hear yours.

I’d still like to know why my post in this thread got deleted.

There’s two simultaneous separate threads from Bo about this cymbal. Your missing post was in the other one.
Ah, that explains why there's no video on this thread, either! I was having trouble imagining Bo getting a new piece of gear and not posting video of it, lol.

There's video. It's just over yonder with @JimmyM 's missing post!

Back