Considering a Yamaha Oak Custom set - Tell me everything you know...

stgthump, congrats on your new kit!

cant wait to see a pic and possibly a vid (asking to much i know) of you playing them

stgthump, congrats on your new kit!

cant wait to see a pic and possibly a vid (asking to much i know) of you playing them

Thank you! It's not really easy to find a 14" deep bass drum in a modern style set, so I'm pretty pumped!

I asbolutely, positively will take good pics and make a video this week. No doubt about that. :) I'll start a thread on it when I get a few hours (or more) on this setup.

Thank you! It's not really easy to find a 14" deep bass drum in a modern style set, so I'm pretty pumped!

I asbolutely, positively will take good pics and make a video this week. No doubt about that. :) I'll start a thread on it when I get a few hours (or more) on this setup.

its def not easy to find a 14' deep bass drum nowaday unless its a custom order.

cool! ill be looking for the thread

I wanted to post an update. I DID buy the Yamaha Live Oak kit I posted above from Forks this past weekend.

I also had an EXTREMELY good experience with Forks and will make sure I go into detail on that in the near future too!

Thanks everyone...

Cool. Did you order another tom? If so, what kind of time frame did they give you?

I contacted the guy who sold me the Bryce Canyon Brown 8". He also had a 12 and 20 for sale, so buying those. Now I'm looking for a 10 and 14 to complete this kit. I posted in the classified section to see if anyone has those...

Cool. Did you order another tom? If so, what kind of time frame did they give you?

I contacted the guy who sold me the Bryce Canyon Brown 8". He also had a 12 and 20 for sale, so buying those. Now I'm looking for a 10 and 14 to complete this kit. I posted in the classified section to see if anyone has those...

I decided against ordering an additional tom just yet. I just got the three piece setup. I will likely order a 10" tom, though. Not sure about the wait time...

I kinda' thought you'd end up getting them. I'm looking forward to hearing how they sit with you, after you've tried them a while. They look good.

its def not easy to find a 14' deep bass drum nowaday unless its a custom order.

cool! ill be looking for the thread

I ran across a few sets that meet the 14" depth criteria, but not much. You can find some kits with the shallow depth from Ludwig and Gretsch, but that's about it. I'm talking about kits places have in stock. I wanted those sizes with a modern build, so I think I did pretty well. :)

My former Red Oak kit in 20x17, 10x8, 12x9, 14x12, 16x14 sizes.

32412_1475043275666_7516528_n.jpg

32412_1475043035660_6033805_n.jpg

(I still have the custom Oak Sub-Kick in the matching color)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm8fEnJTRvg

And the Black Oak, in the sizes 18x15, 8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14 and 15x14 (custom order)

418493_3514829469046_1055775150_n.jpg

397032_3256976582885_725671484_n.jpg

423364_3258631464256_307967056_n.jpg

483283_4661502135146_1281786375_n.jpg

Still love for the Oak sound! If you can snap one, get it!

I owned a set and honestly, I couldn't wait to get them sold. That took me almost a year and I priced them quite aggressively. You definitely need to play them to hear what your ears think. I think after owning Tama Starclassic birch drums, my taste has been permanently altered. Take my opinion for what it's worth. I did keep the snare as I love it.

Hi everyone. Wanted to report back that I like the Live Customs so much that I just ordered the 10 rack and 14 floor toms to go with the 22, 12, 16 setup I got at Forks Drum Closet a few months back!

Also... wait for it... I saw the same musashi black Oak Custom set that made me start this thread marked down even more on clearance 3 weeks ago... instead of the previous clearance price of $1, 499, it was now $749!!!!!

If you know me well enough by now, you shouldnt be surprised that I jumped in it. He rang it up and it was actually $699! Thats a $2k pro set for a low level price. No way I could resist.

So now I have the " black oak" Live Custom with addon toms on the way AND a "musashi black" Oak Custom set in 22, 10, 12, 16. HA HA

I cant make a direct tonal comparison, because I have different heads on each set. I do think they are both killer, though. The new Live Customs may have a slightly deeper tone.

I sold my other kits (Pearl Reference and Fibes pictured in original post) and am down ti these too. Very happy with them at the moment and what a steal!!!

Sounds like you made the jump to Yamaha big time with a couple really nice kits at great prices.
Funny though - I looked on their site after reading your post and couldn't find anything like that.
Must be for the people lucky enough to be walk-ins.

Sounds like you made the jump to Yamaha big time with a couple really nice kits at great prices.
Funny though - I looked on their site after reading your post and couldn't find anything like that.
Must be for the people lucky enough to be walk-ins.

The other Guitar Center in my area has a red Oak Custom kit marked down to $999. I actually think the $699 price I got may have been a mistake.

Im pretty sure these are in store clearance items. Sucks for those not near a GC with them in stock.

Also, I totally gave up wanting the Oak Customs when I got the Live Custom set. But man, I couldnt resist that price!

The other Guitar Center in my area has a red Oak Custom kit marked down to $999. I actually think the $699 price I got may have been a mistake.

Im pretty sure these are in store clearance items. Sucks for those not near a GC with them in stock.

My mistake. I thought I read earlier Fork's Drum Closet.

Reading comprehension - ha ha.

So you got a set of Musashi Black Oak Customs for $699 ?
That's crazy awesome. I had that set..I remember thinking I stole mine used for $1150 - 10/12/14/20. The only reason I sold them was to move up to Maple Customs. Wish I still had them. Congrats man, you won't lose there no matter what you do.

Neal

That's crazy awesome. I had that set..I remember thinking I stole mine used for $1150 - 10/12/14/20. The only reason I sold them was to move up to Maple Customs. Wish I still had them. Congrats man, you won't lose there no matter what you do.

Neal

Yeah, I know! I was seriously considering them on clearance at $1,499 new (why I started this thread initially), but passed and decided to go with the Live Custom set from Forks. Then a few months later, that exact same Oak Custom set was on clearance for $699! WTF? That's some crazy stuff right there.

I didn't even hesitate. Said "I'll take them" the second I saw the price tag. LOL... There is a small ding or two, but nothing bad at all.

It kinda doesn't make sense for me to have two Yamaha oak kits, but man, I just couldn't resist. At this point in time, those are the only two kits I have and I love them both. They're different enough to justify both, IMO.

I have coated Vintage Ambassadors on the Oak Custom set and the stock clear Emperors on the Live Custom set. That alone makes them sound totally different.

Neal

Also, that same local Guitar Center has a used set of Maple Custom Absolutes in 22, 12, 13, and 16 in REALLY good condition for $1,399. That has been haunting me for weeks. LOL

A modern production line kit with a 22x14!! Wow you did find a great deal. To be honest I am not a huge fan of the deeper bass drums. Most of us who play live are always mic'd and the feel of the deeper bass drums is not as sweet as the older standard depths. I really dig the sound of the shallower old school depths. Great scores you found!

Also, that same local Guitar Center has a used set of Maple Custom Absolutes in 22, 12, 13, and 16 in REALLY good condition for $1,399. That has been haunting me for weeks. LOL

Ha ha - how long are we gonna' have to wait to see pics of the MCA's you couldn't resist.

EDIT: I think I've seen that one while looking around. 4 piece in natural finish, in excellent shape (from the picture anyways).

Back