Cobus vs. VaDrum - Who is better?

kevmac858

to all you Youtubers out there. lets throw this one out there. cobus' style and precision beats vs. VaDrums crazy coolness. I vote cobus personally. You?

Re: Cobus vs. VaDrum WHO IS BETTER??

Vadrum's pretty technical, and has alot more prog influence.....Prog drummers IMO are by far the best......I do love watching cobus' stuff, but keep in mind that he does for the most part standard covers and his original stuff (All fantastic btw), and Vadrum takes a creative percussive type approach and adds the cool beats to unusual pieces (Simpsons theme, barber of seville, etc)........

I feel Vadrum, although entertaining and solid, is a one-trick pony. Cobus seems to have more interesting stuff going on in his playing.

true. cobus is also completely self taught. but they are both amazing

I am completely self-taught (but many MANY other people are as well) and I wouldn't let how they learned the drums make your decision for you.

I like chaserrr too, but I think he needs to tighten up. While watching his videos, I notice that is very sloppy and uncontrolled, though there are some pretty good covers of his...

I am completely self-taught (but many MANY other people are as well) and I wouldn't let how they learned the drums make your decision for you.

I like chaserrr too, but I think he needs to tighten up. While watching his videos, I notice that is very sloppy and uncontrolled, though there are some pretty good covers of his...

i am self taught as well. i was just putting that out there. i dont like chaserrr much because yes he is sloppy but his covers are good. i just think he would be better if he was less punk and more like well... cobus or VaDrum. they have a lot of accents and funky beats as well as closed hi hat beats, which i like a lot. thats just my opinion

i am self taught as well. i was just putting that out there. i dont like chaserrr much because yes he is sloppy but his covers are good. i just think he would be better if he was less punk and more like well... cobus or VaDrum. they have a lot of accents and funky beats as well as closed hi hat beats, which i like a lot. thats just my opinion

I'm going to dissagree with the whole 'punk' thing. He's just... him. I hate punks, and he isn't punk. To me punks are wannabes of some sort, but that's off-topic.

I'm going to dissagree with the whole 'punk' thing. He's just... him. I hate punks, and he isn't punk. To me punks are wannabes of some sort, but that's off-topic.

i agree its just probably sloppy. its no more than a cover. its the same drum part without the flare or style that cobus and VaDrum have. I checked out your youtube. youre pretty good. im trying to find how to put the origional song onto my recording program so they play at the same time as well as uploading my videos to my computer, i cant find the cable to connect them

i wonder if cobus will reply since he is a drummerworld member? i've never heard of or seen the other guy so i have no room to compare. but i really like most of cobus's fills and his selection of songs.

i wonder if cobus will reply since he is a drummerworld member? i've never heard of or seen the other guy so i have no room to compare. but i really like most of cobus's fills and his selection of songs.

I don't think he's a member... and I don't think he'll reply. He doesn't like compairing himself to other drummers. After all, it's no competition, as he explained in in response to the Cobus Vs. Chaserrr video.

I don't think he's a member... and I don't think he'll reply. He doesn't like compairing himself to other drummers. After all, it's no competition, as he explained in in response to the Cobus Vs. Chaserrr video.

well i know he was a member as of about a month ago. had the same picture in his logo, same user name 'deedlebag', and a link to his youtube vids. unless it was an imposter! lol. i don't think he'll reply either, i sent him a message a month ago asking about making youtube vids and he never responded.

I'm amused by all these guys that are enamored by Cobus and VaDrum. They're good, solid drummers, yeah, but nothing they play i would consider greatness. They're both great at video production and posting they're little jam sessions on youtube, but as far as greatness, nothing original, they just apply their knowledge of rudiments and chops to the riff or song that they're covering and then overplay them. If you guys that watch these two on youtube actually dissected what they were doing and understood their techniques, the "magic" that they are playing would seem a lot less amazing. As a matter of fact, i'd say take those vids to a competent drum teacher and he/she will walk you through the vids and break down the chops for you to learn at a much accelerated pace. I just watched a bunch of vids by both of these guys and i think i could copy them after just watching them once or twice and i don't consider myself a great drummer by any means.

You guys want true greatness from a youngster, check out Tony Royster at 12 years old, way younger than Cobus or VaDrum:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPncumXZExo&feature=related

I think vadrum beats cobus any day of the week. I think both are very skilled and I was impressed to find out Cubus is self taught but playing along to songs like "dirty pop" is unforgivable.

I'm amused by all these guys that are enamored by Cobus and VaDrum. They're good, solid drummers, yeah, but nothing they play i would consider greatness. They're both great at video production and posting they're little jam sessions on youtube, but as far as greatness, nothing original, they just apply their knowledge of rudiments and chops to the riff or song that they're covering and then overplay them. If you guys that watch these two on youtube actually dissected what they were doing and understood their techniques, the "magic" that they are playing would seem a lot less amazing. As a matter of fact, i'd say take those vids to a competent drum teacher and he/she will walk you through the vids and break down the chops for you to learn at a much accelerated pace. I just watched a bunch of vids by both of these guys and i think i could copy them after just watching them once or twice and i don't consider myself a great drummer by any means.

You guys want true greatness from a youngster, check out Tony Royster at 12 years old, way younger than Cobus or VaDrum:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPncumXZExo&feature=related

But obviously, you do need to understand that Royster was a child prodigy with some of the most influential drummers out there as his personal mentor. He has outstanding chops, but where he learned them makes him less special.

I think both of them are great but VaDrum is so much more entertaining. I could watch him all day. He is so not overrated. I wouldn't be able to think of anything close to those songs and think one day...hmm maybe today I want to try to play with the Simpsons Theme song. It's totally out of the box! I love it! Any one could do covers to actual songs as simple as the Umbrella song but I think it would be harder to think of a way to fit drums into a classical song or a cartoon theme song. All my opinion though; as always.

ya i was just putting that out there. and for tony royster jr. he was bred to be a drumming star, va and cobus were just regular drummers that made it big via youtube. anyways, royster is a professional. cobus still has to do a job he is only sponsered by underground drum co. and like a mic company. va has like mapex but royster was popular because of his age. yes he has skill but these guys do it out of hobby and maybe a little fame, royster is straight fame and fortune

Again, i think they're both just drummer novelties more than anything else, but hey if either of them get picked up by an actual band or recording artist, lay down wicked chops on an actual album and sell a bunch of records, that's a different story. That would totally legitimize them to me, until then, they're just a couple of guys with good chops and really good webcam production who took advantage of being the first guys on the block to fully utilize youtube as a promotional vehicle. By this time next year there will be 100 cobus'es on youtube. 2 years from now, 500. 3 Years from now 1000 etc.

Here's one right from our forum, 18 year old girl named Febby from Indonesia:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46010

I think both of them are great but VaDrum is so much more entertaining. I could watch him all day. He is so not overrated. I wouldn't be able to think of anything close to those songs and think one day...hmm maybe today I want to try to play with the Simpsons Theme song. It's totally out of the box! I love it! Any one could do covers to actual songs as simple as the Umbrella song but I think it would be harder to think of a way to fit drums into a classical song or a cartoon theme song. All my opinion though; as always.

Yeah Vadrum is more unique in what he does, and the polyrythmic stuff give him some extra point imho!

Back