Click Tracks survey

For recording (which is all I prefer to do) I use a click about 60% of the time, mostly because I kinda like to check the other parts a bit and hear how things fall and playing to a click doesn't bother me at all. On songs with tempo changes I absolutely use it.

Last week I recorded a track that was at 120bpm but had some double time sections that I wanted to make sure I had the offbeat set in the click to lock all parts in as we shifted back and forth.

When I played in live bands I would use something to count off but not for the actual song.......

I’ve never had a chance to play to a click live yet. Loops and prefab tracks yes, but it was just those things in monitors like any instrument and it was fun.
My clicker in the practice room is a dry click sound, but I also play with drum machine to the pa sometimes. I usually use the clicker metronome as quarters or displaced quarters. The drum machine I usually use in 12/8

Speaking of Clicks. @Chris Whitten @bermuda and everyone,

Who would have the Click here (in ears I suppose +/-?

Or rather who wouldn't have the click (if anyone etc..

Full show hear from March 4 (this month)
from 1st song (jazz thing they always do) thru the following songs

Like 11 people up there-
Give it a few 5 minutes to get past the first song

Who would have the Click here (in ears I suppose +/-?
Hard to tell from the video, but the drummer would normally have the click at all times. Monitor/in-ear mixes can be different for every song, and even portions of a song, so if someone starts a song and needs the click, they will also have it when needed. Perhaps they just have the click until the drums comes in, and then they follow the drums.

It's all about personal preference, and need. But generally, the fewer people hearing the click, the better. It's not easy to follow two 'drummers', and if the drummers strays a bit from the click, which way do the rest of the players go? If they just hear the drummer, any straying is less apparent and they can remain tight. And Steely Dan demands that.

Every artist should demand that.

I don't use a click live but do use liveBPM so as not to stray too much. The guitar and bass player wanted to add some backing tracks to our live show but didn't want to use a click...not gonna happen boys!

1. I definitely prefer no click, but

2. if you have to use one, quarter notes for uptempo, eighth notes for slower songs.

3. I like hearing a simple beat in a click with the character of the music I’m playing. I find that high pitched clave type of click really unnerving.

No click. Not good enough...nor is the rest of the band. (Maybe if we took a few months of dedicated rehearsal, just to learn how...none of us have ever done it before. I'm quite certain there's a lot more to it than just sticking the clicks in my ears...they all need to play to the same thing.)

Depends on the situation. Happy using a click if needed. Playing to a click is a skill every drummer should have as is being the time keeper.

Recording is a no brainer. Click please! Live I've never used one but if needed I could. My own time is good.

For live gigs, band practice, and live full band recordings I am anti click. For proper real studio tracking I am pro click. Basic 8th note click with a different sound for the 1 is my preference.

No click. Not good enough...nor is the rest of the band. (Maybe if we took a few months of dedicated rehearsal, just to learn how...none of us have ever done it before. I'm quite certain there's a lot more to it than just sticking the clicks in my ears...they all need to play to the same thing.)
Don't they just follow you? You are the only one that needs it, yeah?

1. I definitely prefer no click, but

2. if you have to use one, quarter notes for uptempo, eighth notes for slower songs.

3. I like hearing a simple beat in a click with the character of the music I’m playing. I find that high pitched clave type of click really unnerving.
I use a hihat sound sample. 1/4's

no wendel

Back