Chester Thompson

Crass, pretentious and unlistenable are three words I would NEVER use to describe Zappa's music.
Maybe not pretentious or unlistenable—although Jazz from Hell comes mighty close for me—but I don't think referring to FZ's music as crass is off-base at all, if one includes lyrics under the heading of "music" (as I think one should, at least in this context). I mean, he went out of his way again and again and again to be crass in his lyrics—whatever his motives for doing so, it seemed one of his prime motifs.

Maybe not pretentious or unlistenable—although Jazz from Hell comes mighty close for me—but I don't think referring to FZ's music as crass is off-base at all, if one includes lyrics under the heading of "music" (as I think one should, at least in this context). I mean, he went out of his way again and again and again to be crass in his lyrics—whatever his motives for doing so, it seemed one of his prime motifs.

Well, the definition of Crass is lacking in sensitivity, refinement or intelligence. HIs lyrics actually reflect a deep level of intelligence. Do they lack refinement? I don't think so. The amount of thought put into his lyrics eliminates any lack of refinement. Sensitivity? You may have me there. But I suppose his lyrics could be considered insenisitive to those who take themselves too seriously. So, I guess you're right. His lyrics are crass. And you are correct that he is not for everyone.

It's so sad that after all those years, things didn't end well between Phil and Chester. I've been a huge Genesis fan for decades and I attribute a part of my becoming a drummer to listening to Seconds Out as a teen. Chester's contribution to the live Genesis experience was huge.

It's really nice to see a longer interview with Chester where they dig a little deeper, both into who he played with and what it was like playing with them.

I agree it's sad the way things fell apart with him and Phil, but what makes it worse is at the time it was the alcohol talking. Now that Phil's sober I'm not sure what is preventing a little fence mending.

Chester trivia: He apparently uses Sabian 14" AA Rock Hi-Hats (brilliant finish) for all applications -- jazz, rock, and everything in between. This has been his standard for many years. Here's a video in which he provides his own account:

From the interview:
We did European tour in a van. Man, it was wonderful. It was really awesome.
During ‘Rona, this would be healthy for any working pro. I wish killer trios would trip across my county.

Jeremy, there must be something he's done that would crack you up....
I recommend "Lonesome Cowboy Bert" from 200 Motels
Jewish Princess from Sheik Yerbouti
Catholic Girls from Joe's Garage
Enjoy!

I feel like that's a perfect encapsulation of the difference between serious Zappa fans and others (even those, like me, who would certainly have considered myself a Zappa fan, if not truly hardcore).
Major FZ fans look at those songs and find them to be at the very least humorous, and possibly stellar examples of biting satire and wit. Others are simply horrified by their crude misogyny, staggering antisemitism and humor that seemed deliciously scandalous when I was in seventh grade.
As always, of course, stellar playing.

Sad, how as drummers we could work with someone for more than a decade or two and then they're out of your life. Someone, at some level (bandmate, manager, etc.) stabbing you in the back.
As the late, great Lowell George once said, "Yup, it's a wonderful biz."

Though I just can't get into to Frank Zappa music.
I agree for the most part. He has a few tunes I like, but a great deal of his music seems like he made it insanely complex just because he could. "Hey look, I wrote a tune in 19/16, how cool am I?"

Sad, how as drummers we could work with someone for more than a decade or two and then they're out of your life. Someone, at some level (bandmate, manager, etc.) stabbing you in the back.
As the late, great Lowell George once said, "Yup, it's a wonderful biz."

The music business is no different than any other business. Unfortunate, yes. But that's life.

I agree for the most part. He has a few tunes I like, but a great deal of his music seems like he made it insanely complex just because he could. "Hey look, I wrote a tune in 19/16, how cool am I?"

That's an interesting perspective. However when I listen to his music I don't hear a tune written in an odd time signature just for the sake of it. A good listen would reveal that it's the music itself that demanded the odd time signature at that particular moment. But I will say that when I listen to some Rush tunes I feel that those tunes are written in odd time signatures just for the sake of it. In the end, we all have our own perspectives on music. Music is an art. And as such, it's quality is highly subjective. But I have yet to meet a musician that I respect who doesn't like or at least appreciates what Zappa brings to the table. And yes, Zappa's music is very cool. Wouldn't you agree?

Chester's a legend; love him.

He imported the legendary "Zappa Fill" from "More Trouble Everyday” that he played with Ralph Humphrey into Genesis which prominently featured in the coda section of "Afterglow", and was always a highlight of the live drum duets with Phil...

The music business is no different than any other business. Unfortunate, yes. But that's life.
I would largely agree with that.

However, when playing in a band together for an extended period, I doubt I'm alone in finding something special often happens, where you develop a bond that's not exactly friendship, necessarily (although it can be), but is...something. Like being on a sports team for an extended period, perhaps. And I'm not sure I've ever found myself with quite the same kind of bond developing with people I've worked with, even ones with whom I've worked for a long time, and even though some co-workers have ended up becoming better friends than any musician with whom I've ever played.

There just is--or at least can be--something that happens when you make music together.

I would largely agree with that.

However, when playing in a band together for an extended period, I doubt I'm alone in finding something special often happens, where you develop a bond that's not exactly friendship, necessarily (although it can be), but is...something. Like being on a sports team for an extended period, perhaps. And I'm not sure I've ever found myself with quite the same kind of bond developing with people I've worked with, even ones with whom I've worked for a long time, and even though some co-workers have ended up becoming better friends than any musician with whom I've ever played.

There just is--or at least can be--something that happens when you make music together.

I agree. There is definitely something that happens while playing music. The interplay between the instruments and the communication that takes place can sometimes be on another level.

However, when playing in a band together for an extended period, I doubt I'm alone in finding something special often happens, where you develop a bond that's not exactly friendship, necessarily (although it can be), but is...something.

I equate this condition with the ability to communicate without language, as though subtle fragments of matter, invisible but palpable, pass from bandmate to bandmate and convey with perfect lucidity sentiments that exceed the limits of vocabulary. It's a fusion of consciousness only music can weld. One identity emerges, yet individuality is preserved. Some mysteries are to be accepted rather than explained.

I was fortunate enough to see Chester play live on a Genesis tour and a Phil Collins tour. I became an instant fan of his drumming.

Interesting read about all the band dynamics he's been through. He's a great example of tenacity and character. Thanks for posting the interview.

Back