Chad Smith vs. brass Sensitone snares?

yammieoaks

I'm looking for a warmer but more importantly, a very responsive snare with enough body for rock and not tons of ringing (i know all of this can be subjective, but generally speaking...) and don't really know the differences between these two snares besides the metal they're made of, the thickness of the shells and the width of the hoops.

Any thoughts?

i would have to say the chad smith would be better because it would probably be more sensitive and it would definately ring less

My brass sensitone sounds great the trick is changing the wires. if anything the CS snare would ring more since it's a steel shell I believe. The RHCP tunes the snare has a very prominent ring. the sensitone is very sensitive hence the name.

Bonzolead

My brass sensitone sounds great the trick is changing the wires. if anything the CS snare would ring more since it's a steel shell I believe. The RHCP tunes the snare has a very prominent ring. the sensitone is very sensitive hence the name.

Bonzolead

i thought brass rings more than steel

idk, im pretty sure youve been drumming longer than me so ill take your word for it haha
Yes i'm almost farting dust LOL but even through i've been playing for roughly 35 yrs. i'm still learning, you are never too old too learn.

BL

I've had both and they both ring. I couldn't say which rings more, but I can say that I think the ring of brass is more pleasing. It's warmer with a really sweet crack sound.

Steel seems a little cold to my ears.

First, Chad does not play his signature snares live or in the studio. The same goes for his signature cymbals.

Usually, steel rings more than brass and the ring is more piercing. When you hear snare ring on a record the ring is allowed to be there and be audible through the recording and mixing process. Ring is not inherently bad and can add body and depth to the sound of the drum because the ring is, at the core, a harmonic resonance (with a well tuned drum).

I usually find drums with little or no ring to be boring and lifeless.

I've played the Chad Smith snare and it's *very* ringy. I'm sure you'd find the Sensitone brass very ringy, as well.

Have you thought about the Sensitone Aluminum? I intend to buy one the second I've got the extra cash. Pearl quality and sound at that price? Fuggeddaboudit!

I've played the Chad Smith snare and it's *very* ringy. QUOTE]

agreed. i own a CS sig. with a evans genera HD dry on the top and a hazy 300 on the bottom and it rings like a motherfucker. I also dont find it very 'warm' at all... its incredibly cold.

just my $0.02

so you want responsive yet not ringy? sounds like you would like a maple (or other wood) snare. maybe in the 14x4 or 14x5 range with 52 strand snare wires (you'll never have anything else once you put a set of these bad boys on the bottom). a good crack from the shallow depth, yet low ring from the wood construction. I don't muffle and mine has a great openness to it without the extensive ring.

I'm going shallow on my next snare, to be the yang to my 14x8. then I'll have the best of both worlds.

so you want responsive yet not ringy? sounds like you would like a maple (or other wood) snare. maybe in the 14x4 or 14x5 range with 52 strand snare wires (you'll never have anything else once you put a set of these bad boys on the bottom). a good crack from the shallow depth, yet low ring from the wood construction. I don't muffle and mine has a great openness to it without the extensive ring.

I'm going shallow on my next snare, to be the yang to my 14x8. then I'll have the best of both worlds.

52 strand snare wires where did you find those are you sure you don't. mean 42?

BL

not really much to add

The wife has a CS snare - it's got a crack, and is ringy (I've seen her moongel the poop out of it on occasion) -- but if you are looking for "warm" (even in the context of a metal snare) I don't think that's what you want, it sounds pretty cold/cool to me

she uses it mainly to ear rape me and to screw with the rock band next door and it works for that

FWIW - and it's probably neither here nor there - but I have a Pearl free floating copper that I'm pretty happy with as far as "metal, but not a razor" type feel

not really much to add

The wife has a CS snare - it's got a crack, and is pingy -- but if you are looking for "warm" (even in the context of a metal snare) I don't think that's what you want, it sounds pretty cold/cool to me

she uses it mainly to ear rape me and to screw with the rock band next door and it works for that

FWIW - and it's probably neither here nor there - but I have a Pearl free floating copper that I'm pretty happy with as far as "metal, but not a razor" type feel
that's funny about your wife I like chicks with attitude very cool, one thing cool about your free floater you can get a wood,brass,steel,etc. shell different depths also the possibilities are endless.

Bonzolead

I have considered, at times, getting some other shell (mainly b/c I just can't leave well enough alone)

but that's really just for experiementation - the zoot factor of having something different.

But when I get on it I always forget abt it b/c I like the way it is

eh, maybe I'll blow some fun money at some point,

All snares ring. My maple rings. But, it depends on where you hit it. If you hit it near the edge with a rimshot, lotsa ring. Hit it dead center w/ no rim, and hey where did the Ringo?

Also, you may all now congratulate me on my 1400th post.

I have considered, at times, getting some other shell (mainly b/c I just can't leave well enough alone)

but that's really just for experiementation - the zoot factor of having something different.

But when I get on it I always forget abt it b/c I like the way it is

eh, maybe I'll blow some fun money at some point,

I hear you about the money point but it's nice too have options. But in another sense if it ain't. broke why fix it. LOL

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

All snares ring. My maple rings. But, it depends on where you hit it. If you hit it near the edge with a rimshot, lotsa ring. Hit it dead center w/ no rim, and hey where did the Ringo?

Also, you may all now congratulate me on my 1400th post.
Yes LA you are right all snares do ring and good snares still sound like a snare when you hit them by the rim LOL

My new Epic Ludwig snare I got (14"x5") rings out but it's a pleasant ring I'd say it rings just as much as my Brass Sensitone if not more and it's a Birch/Maple/Birch shell I also think since the shell is only 6mm makes a difference also. but like others have posted head selection,tuning, & just how you play it makes a difference.

Congrats on the 1400+ posts I'm not too far behind LOL

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

If I were you, I go for the brass snare - to my ears it's a more musical metal. 5" or 5.5" deep will help with sensitivity as will investing in good snares to replace the cheap factory standards - Puresound Custom 20 strand will enhance the sound of any drum. Use a Remo ambassador batter (more sensitive than a thicker head) and if you want to reduce ring use some moongel, if you want less ring and more warmth, use an o-ring. Snare drums sound very different out front to how they sound where you are sitting and a lot of the ring gets lost in the overall band sound, but it's needed to cut through. If you buy a lively drum you can always reduce the ring and add warmth - but you can't make a dull drum livelier if you need it to be. Good luck.

Back