Jer Bear

Sorry in advance for the long post. I’m looking to get a new kit for jazz, I’ve recently saved up some extra cash and I’d like to invest in a kit that a bit more in line with my current path in music. Jazz is a very ambiguous term considering how much music in encompasses, so I’m not sure how to describe exactly what I’m going for. Two drummers who I’m wildly into right now are Brian Blade with Chick Corea, and Eric McPherson with Fred Hersch. I should mention that I’m not trying to find a set that gets their sound I just dig that type of music…Okay that’s a lie I’d be fine with getting their sound hahaha, but let’s be honest that’s more their skill and less their kit. My point still stands, this is just an attempt to point you at the type of music I’m diggin. Besides cymbals I’ve never given much thought to drumming hardware. I’ve only recently started trying to read up on hardware, and since it’s such a large body of knowledge I’d like to ask some of you who have spent more time immersing yourselves in it for your opinions. I don’t like to make quick decisions with cash and I love seeing others points of view, so I’ll just lay out my mindset and you guys tell me what you’re thinking. I’m currently leaning heavily towards a Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz kit. Here’s what I like and what I don’t about it.

PROS:
1. The sizes are great for jazz: 14x18 BD 8x12 RT 14x14 FT 5x14 Sn.
My current set is 18x20 BD 10x12 RT 14x14 FT 5.5x14 Snare. Overall not huge changes except for the bass. I’m thinking a smaller bass drum would be better for the sound I’m looking for, and I’m worried that the 16” bass drum on some of the other kits I’ve been looking at might be too much change for now? Another benefit of smaller kit means lighter gig huals, and who doesn’t like that?!
2. Cost + Availability: The set is cheap compared to its reported quality. I am patient enough to wait for a good deal on a used set. And if I’m looking to buy a used set then the closer to mass produced the set is, the more opportunities to actually FIND a used set/good deal.
3. Its references: I’ve heard almost nothing but good things about this kit. This includes reviews, a few drummers I’ve spoken with, and some of this forums threads that I’ve been reading.

CONS:
1. The stock snare is sub-optimal: The feel that you could say this about 90% of stock snares but I wanted to mention it. (Honestly at some point I’m planning on finding a snare that I’d use with any shell pack I’d use. But that is a problem for another day).
2. Tom mount sucks: I’ve read that it the idea for the hardware for the tom mount is pretty bad, I’ve heard it digs into the drum and chokes the sound of the tom. My plan for this is either to mod the existing hardware to prevent this, or possibly buy a new RT mount (while keeping the old mount if I end up selling the kit at a later point).
3. There are 5 tuning lugs on RT, and 6 on FT: Honestly I’m still not sure if this is a real problem or if it falls into a similar category as the “virgin bass/suspended toms” arguments I’ve only recently started reading about now that I’ve begun browsing drum hardware forums.
4. Bass drum riser digs into shell: I can just put something in between the shell and the riser clamp to protect the shell.

I’ve looked a little bit into other sets but when the CCJ showed the most promise I did the most research on it. It seems that for its price range the CCJ is near the best you can get (for jazz). I’d be happy with looking into a more expensive kit if the price increase is translating to performance quality, from what I’ve seen, after a certain price point the cash is going more into prestige or visuals than actual quality.
I should also note that I plan on going to some stores and testing out this and any other kits I’m interested in. But since it’s a bit of a drive to the nearest large music store I’d like to get as many ducks in a row as possible before that.
Thank You.

I had that Gretsch kit briefly. It sounds okay, but nowhere near top quality (even with better heads). I would suggest it for someone's "rehearsal" set, but not for serious gigs or recordings. I got rid of it after a few months.

If you're on a budget, try to find a used set in the sizes you like. Speaking of sizes, be sure you like the 18" bass drum. If you've never played one before, you may find that it doesn't work for you. I think a 20" bass drum will be more versatile.

If you can't find a used kit that you like, I still suggest you steer clear of the cheaper Gretsch lines and go with their Brooklyn or Renown, or if that's still too much, look at Yamaha or Tama for a well priced entry/mid level kit.

http://www.interstatemusic.com/9189...And-680-Hardware-Natural-Wood-SBP0F56WNW.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...s2&tag=troutbrooke-20&linkId=PN6QJBIUMFYIFL6B

Sounds like you are on the right track. I have read really good reviews on that Gretsch Jazz Club kit. It seems from what I've read that it isn't a "one trick pony" and can be used for several styles of music. Gretsch drums almost always use the 5 lug rack toms, so that isnt much of a drawback in my opinion.

Don't rule out vintage kits either. I have a '66 Ludwig Clubdate kit in 20.12.14 sizes with a matching Jazzfest snare that I really like also. When i grab pick up gigs, I use this kit when playing blues/jazz gigs.

Also, check out Tama as I believe they also offer a decent Bop kit. Good luck in your search!

I think it's a good kit for the price, certainly. Since you already are using a 20" kick and want something a little smaller, we don't have to go through the "18 or 20 for jazz????!?" rigamarole from people with 22s ;) In response to your cons:

1. Yeah, it's not great. IMO buying a non-stock snare is a pretty big priority for most people because they tend to not be very good. PDP has some exceptional snares for their prices, including this babe; otherwise there are plenty of decent maple snares around (assuming you want a wood snare and not a metal one).

2. See first sentence above, haha. Genuine RIMS mounts are great but still expensive; there are plenty of copycats around. Make sure, if you do buy a replacement, to get one that surrounds at least half the drum, as that will at least keep some of the theory behind the RIMS mount (and you might like a typical chrome finish more with your kit than the RIMS's matte aluminum).

3. No issue IMO. Some have trouble tuning 5-lug toms but I have had no such trouble with my two 5-lug rack toms, though due to the non-symmetry it is a little harder to even out, I think. As for the floor tom, I can't see that being much of an issue especially with a 14.

4. Yeah. There are also a lot of risers out there, from as simple as this to as absurdly Mad Max-like as this.

I don't really have any other kit suggestions– Yamaha and Tama have kits of these sizes in this price range but they're birch and they're not to my taste for bop tunings. There might be Pearl Vision Maples in these sizes around, but I'm not sure.

Make sure you budget for new heads, though ;)

My two cents here. When I went about buying my own Jazz kit, it was a toss up between the Catalina Jazz and the Tama Silverstar Jazz. Ultimately I went with the Tama kit because to my ears it felt like the Birch had just a bit more punch than the Maple. I special ordered mine from Sweetwater with the Antique Brown Burst and I am more than happy with the results. The equipment is definately pro level. My only gripe is that the floor tom only has six lugs and not eight. But it still tunes up really well. Again, this is your decision. The Jazz kit is still around on the used market and you can special order from Tama I've heard. I will say that it does take some special attention on the tuning. It can be a little fickle if you don't watch it. But it has a great personality when you give it the right heads and tuning combo. Plus, vintage snare and cymbals never hurts either;)

I owned the Catalina jazz for a while, and it was alright. It worked well with thinner heads and in higher tunings, but the hardware and shells were just so so. Definitely wasn't meant to be tuned low.

Recently, though, I tried out one of the new ones(round badge), and it is a huge, I need to stress, huge step up, in my opinion. Even the snare sounded pretty good. The whole kit sounds very natural, and the new tom mount is better than the last, to my ears.

Just seems like a very solid kit now. I'm considering grabbing one myself.

Ultimately I went with the Tama kit because to my ears it felt like the Birch had just a bit more punch than the Maple.

Just for accuracy... the Catalina Jazz kits are mahogany. Birch certainly would have more attack. Like I said, I'd want a softer wood like mahogany–but I also don't like bop tunings in general. That's a taste thing.

Drumming sort of guy: First, "I would suggest it for someone's "rehearsal" set, but not for serious gigs or recordings." really hit home. Second, I will definitely make sure I play and prefer an 18" over a 20". Honestly I'd probably be okay with a 20" that isn't so deep (maybe even prefer). I think the depth is part of what I don't like about my current BD. I've heard a lot of good things about the Tama Silverstar and a couple of the Yamaha's but I'm honestly, I'm starting to lead towards investing a little more for a kit I "feels like home" haha. I am loving what I'm reading about Brooklyn and Renown kits. We'll see.

Brewkowski: I will try to look into some vintage kits as well, it just seems to open the door very wide in terms of options hahaha.

Altar: Aren't round badges a pretty large price increase? I've seen a few of them up for sale and they're damn expensive hahaha. I don't think I can stretch my budget that hard. But yeah they're fuckin sick.

I'm currently looking between Gretsch Renown/Brooklyn/New Classics. I don't know why I'm leaning towards Gretsch sets so much, I've never played one so it's not like I have brand loyalty or anything like that.

Round badge Catalinas? Nah, they're cheap as fuck, compared to the new classics or the renowns. 600, maybe 700 new. 400 used?

Brooklyns are better drums though for sure. Gotta love those. Not big on the new renowns, too modern for my tastes, both in sound and visual aesthetics. But if modern is your thing, those are great drums. I can name off a number of really good drummers that work and record with renowns, brooklyns, even cats. Comes down to preference.

To be clear, I'm referring to these:

image.jpg

As opposed to the older, square badge cats.

By the way, huge fan of Blade too. His sound can definitely be reasonably imitated by any of the bop sized Gretsch kits, I've chased that sound myself on occasion. Never been huge on his kick tone, but aside from that, he has one of my favorite drum sounds out there.

I have had a Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz kit for a few years, and I really like it. I no longer have the snare, and I attached the tom mount directly to the 12" shell. I have used it in two different blues-rock bands, and all of the other musicians have liked it too. Peace and goodwill.

Haha, thanks for the correction. I made that post without fact checking first. Wasn't there a series of maple Catalina's made a few years ago?

Catalina comes in many flavors. "Catalina Maple" is their maple offering. There's also Birch, Ash, Club, Jazz, Rock, Elite, and.... probably missed some.

I think the depth is part of what I don't like about my current BD.

Yeah, it's hard to find shallower bass drums these days. I prefer 16" for a 22" and 14" for anything smaller. The only problem with 14" depth is when you have the tom mount installed on the bass drum. Depending on the type of mount, you can end up with the toms sitting too close to you. With a deeper drum, you can have that mount further away.

So just an update I've been reading lots about Gretsch's Renown, New Classic, and Brooklyn lines. They're getting a bit up there in price but I'm almost definitely going to buy used so I think I can get a decent price. What are some equivalent lines for other companies that you guys think are tried and true? Someone mentioned Yamaha Live Customs, I'll be looking into that soon and would enjoy having some other brands to look at.

... I will definitely make sure I play and prefer an 18" over a 20". Honestly I'd probably be okay with a 20" that isn't so deep (maybe even prefer). I think the depth is part of what I don't like about my current BD. ...

Maybe I missed it somewhere in the thread, but what are you currently playing?

Pearl ELX Export Series

18x20 BD - It's a bit too boomy, I've done some homemade muting and it's alright but I'm thinking a more shallow BD would be more to my tastes.
14x14 FT - no problems there in terms of size
10x12 RT - not too shabby overall
5.5x14 Sn - Also not too shabby for a stock snare.

Evans Coated G1's on all the batter heads, stock resonator heads that I never got around to replacing >.>

Some vintage Zildjian Hi-Hats with what ever label that was on them worn off but I like the sound so I don't really care what they are.

And an Amedia Ahmet Legend 21" Ride that I put a rivet in and I dig the hell outa the sound I'm getting from it.

Just an idea, but maybe you could have your bass drum cut down to 20 x 14".

Not as fun as getting a new set though - LOL

Back