Blast beats

thanks captian quebec, i usually am not a big fan of drum magazine but the alot of that seems like it will be really helpful

Not brightest question i know...what are these blast beats ?

Super Fast Blast Beats.(Metal Drummers Enter!)

I am trying to build speed on my blast beats, but the speed isn't improving much. When I do them with the snare and ride being hit at the same time, I can do them pretty fast, but the same speed with alternating hits, but when I do the same time ones, they wear down my pecs like crazy. Any exercises to build speed specifically for blast beats?

I need a little more speed on the blasts for Funeral Thirst (Black Dahlia Murder), but I am no where close to Flo Mounier (Cryptopsy's Drummer)'s speed. I was think of getting his dvd where he goes over the exercises.

Re: Super Fast Blast Beats.(Metal Drummers Enter!)

i never knew what a blast beat was .... is that just a name for hand-foot single stroke rolls? i have suggestions if it is but i dont really know what a blast beat is!

Okay first off what kind of blast beats are you talking about. Well my favourite blast beat is the grindcore but i ride both the beats (over the snare and the bass) and also the double bass grindcore ( basically really fast snare and hihat with a ripping double bass) after you get your speed up you also need to be able to accent with the cymbal while doing the blast beat.

Okay basically do your average paradiddles and other stuff at gradually increasing speeds. also i have a few wrist exersizes but i dont explain them with words and i dont have a video camera.

bye the "same time ones" do you mean gravity blast beats it helps if you have a double bass pedal and just do slow quads and try to ride the snare and the ride at the same time as fast as you can. but i dont have any exercises to explain online.

Just doa ll the blast beats slow then gradually speed up.

I play lots of blast beats, the key to going faster with them is touse just your fingers, keep the thumb on top of the stick (not to the side) you may need to use a bit of wrist on the ride. Moeller methods do work though, just take a bit longer to get.

using the push pull technique for blast beats

Ok i can do it in both hands but the problem is the volume. I need to get it a little louder. I heard that this is what metal drummers do to get them going so fast so hopefully someone here knows what to do. Any ideas?

Re: Blast Beats

From www.derekroddy.com
follow Derek link, then Derek's FAQ

What is a blast beat and how would you count or write it out?
Ah, the ever-popular blast beat. A blast would break down as alternating straight 8th notes with the ride or hat and the kick drum on the down beats (or ones) and straight 8 th notes with the snare on the up beats (or ands). This makes a 16th note single stroke roll. I like to count blast tempos as 16th notes at higher bpm's. This way you hear more clicks and there's not so much open space between the beats as when you count them as 32nd notes. 16th's at 250 bpm's = 32nd's at 125 bpm's.

bodymore, murderland.....muhahaha

Nice choice of Quotes. This is exactly how I learned how to count Blast Beats. Start at a slower speed, maybe around 90 bpm, and then gradually get faster. Death Metal drummers usually go above 180 bpm, Thrash metal drummers around 130 or so.

- Marc

also there is a song by morbid angel called opening the gates that has like a hole song of blast beats! pluz double kick over 1000 strokes a min

also from derek roddy

#2. (I'm going to get in trouble for this one) there's way too much editing going on these days in the studios. Not all we hear on record is what was played. Even some of the records you guys are talking about on this very forum!!!!!!!! I've seen it first hand! You can take somebody that doesn't even play drums and make them sound like a god. You can fix bass drums or entire drum parts that fell apart during the recording, you can play the kick drum in half time and go back and add the other kick notes by hand, and the new big thing is “punching in” to achieve more consistent tempos. Why do most metal musicians write music they can't even make it through in one take or make it through it at all! And how could you be proud of something that you know deep in your heart that didn't really play??????? Anybody that knows me knows that I'm really against punching in and editing drum parts. I had to punch in on Nile's “black seeds” record because I had 2 days to learn and record 7 songs. I wish I could have had the time to learn the music and write some good drum parts. Maybe then I would have been more satisfied with the end result.

I know of one recording (which is mentioned on my forum as being “some of the most extreme drumming ever!!!” The infamous drummer came in played 4 bars of every type of blast and double bass beat known to man, along with various fills. The entire record was assembled by looping the drum parts together with pro tools! Yea, that's brutal. If something doesn't sound humanly possible to play, you have to say to yourself that it probably wasn't. You really get a good idea of how drummers really play by seeing them live. You can't fix anything then.

Re: blast beat trouble

hmm...

mabye....do u no the finger technique ( im not sure if thats wut its called, but its a technique thats all in the fingers....no wrist no nothing )

i use that one,....and man i can rip with one hand!!

but if not.....then really all there is...is to work on that right hand..

match it up with ur left....
do w/e u want to do.....paraiddles, different techniques....(i can explain the finger technique further if u need so......

but practice is the key.....and start to try to mabye devolope the moeller with ur right hand

good luck!

~mat~

tommy said:
I'm having trouble with my blast beats.
It seems as though that my left hand has no problem playing straight eighth notes. (my left hand plays with a moeller technique... and so its easy to do.)
The problem is that my right hand cant keep up while doing straight eighth notes at a fast tempo as well as my left hand can.. (and i dont have the moeller technique in my right hand,) so its a disadvantage to my blast beats.

Don't get me wrong.. I can still play really fast with my right hand but I usually accent the second hit I make with my right.. so if i were playing on the ride really fast.. it would be like this... RrRrRrRrRrRrRrRr... etc..
and so when it comes to blast beats.. you accent every single hit.. and my right hand suffers.. but with my left its like this... LLLLLLLLLL.. etc.. (I accent every hit.)

Does anyone have any advice on how I can improve my right hand? (I play righthanded by the way lol).
well what i have to say is i had the same problum with my leftbut i just started slower with it sometimes thats all i would do is play with my left then after a few months it went away but thats me well i hope i helped try it it

i hope when you guys refer to your playing as "spazed" that is just your way of discribing controlled finger movement.. if not id break away from the spazed movements into a more controlled finger technique.. sorry if i just misunderstood you.

good luck

tommy said:
I'm having trouble with my blast beats.
It seems as though that my left hand has no problem playing straight eighth notes. (my left hand plays with a moeller technique... and so its easy to do.)
The problem is that my right hand cant keep up while doing straight eighth notes at a fast tempo as well as my left hand can.. (and i dont have the moeller technique in my right hand,) so its a disadvantage to my blast beats.

Don't get me wrong.. I can still play really fast with my right hand but I usually accent the second hit I make with my right.. so if i were playing on the ride really fast.. it would be like this... RrRrRrRrRrRrRrRr... etc..
and so when it comes to blast beats.. you accent every single hit.. and my right hand suffers.. but with my left its like this... LLLLLLLLLL.. etc.. (I accent every hit.)

Does anyone have any advice on how I can improve my right hand? (I play righthanded by the way lol).

u have a control issue...slow down and work on playing w/ out the accents untill you feel comfortable doing it then speed up..

also try beginning ur rolls with ur left hand to strengthen and gain conrol

as said by a1drummert you have control issues. I think your issues are that you are not using proper technique as described before as the (finger technique) which really isn't a technique its the way the drum strick should be used. also with rist snap ofcorse. but always play the fisrt beat with rist then on rebound use finger snap. if you can do that with motion with rist your set but with both it is more solid exceptially for doubles.

Back