Best cymbal set under €400?

scottser

So, I've started playing with a blues trio - gtr, bass and drums. I recently picked up a nice 70s mahagony shell Premier kit - 20, 16 and 12, and I plan to use my HiFi snare with the kit. So I'm on the hunt for a cymbal set to go with the kit. Normally I'd use Paiste Signatures but they're a little 'modern' sounding. Maybe I'm just too used to how they sound having used them for years now.
Anyway, I thought I might treat myself to a new set and was looking for any thoughts you folks might have on decent deals. I'm really looking for darker sounding and lighter weights. I'd like hats, ride and crash.
So I'm looking at the Masterworks Troy, Zultan Dark Matter, Istanbul Mehmet IMC ranges from Thomann (I live in Europe). Zultan look to have a really nice range.
If anyone has any experience of these cymbas or any other recommendations please let me know - I'm all ears.

Bosphorus makes some wonderful thin cymbals with beautifully rich tone. I love mine even better than the Istanbul Agops that I own.

I've always been a fan of buying individual cymbals that I like the sound of and not a prepackaged set. Mostly because I could never afford more than one at a time. But that way you'll get want you want, if there's stores in your area. If not then a pack might be the way to go. Paiste Giant Beats might sound good for you. They're supposed to sound old school 60s 70s I think.

So, I've started playing with a blues trio - gtr, bass and drums.
Have you ever or do you think you'd be able
(I live in Europe)
to come across some 60s early 70s no ink Avedis Zildjians? Like 20" 22" 18" ?

the Blues Trios of the 60s and early 70s are what they used the cymbals heard seen used most often from Hendrix Trio Cream trio the Black Blues organizations.

If you want a Great bell heard often thruout the decades in addition to the cymbal body sound

...I'm on the hunt for a cymbal set ....... I thought I might treat myself to a new set .......

Just a comment here that you won't find a decent, new, cymbal set for $400.
Like others have said, get your hats, ride, and crash used, and if you have to, buy them one at a time as they show up.
No specific recommendations here though.

Have you ever or do you think you'd be able

to come across some 60s early 70s no ink Avedis Zildjians? Like 20" 22" 18" ?

the Blues Trios of the 60s and early 70s are what they used the cymbals heard seen used most often from Hendrix Trio Cream trio the Black Blues organizations.

If you want a Great bell heard often thruout the decades in addition to the cymbal body sound
Thanks for the replies and suggestions everyone. Used cymbals of the quality mentioned don't really come up for sale here that often unfortunately. And buying singles requires a deal of trial and error I don't really have the time to commit to, as we start gigging in a couple of weeks time.
So, I'm thinking of the Zultan Caz Pro set - 14 hats, 20 ride, 16 and 18 crashes. They might not have the gravitas of the bigger brands but they sound great and I've yet to find a bad review on here and other forums.

Reactions: jda
Thanks for the replies and suggestions everyone. Used cymbals of the quality mentioned don't really come up for sale here that often unfortunately. And buying singles requires a deal of trial and error I don't really have the time to commit to, as we start gigging in a couple of weeks time.
So, I'm thinking of the Zultan Caz Pro set - 14 hats, 20 ride, 16 and 18 crashes. They might not have the gravitas of the bigger brands but they sound great and I've yet to find a bad review on here and other forums.
Where do you find the Zultan set new for under €400 ?

Attachments

• 20240421_142248.jpg
    20240421_142248.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 2
Back