Batter (top) head on both sides?

drummerjr

Hi!
Is there some one that have ever tried to use a batter (Top) head on both sides?
If so, how does it sound?
I was thinking about to try it, i want to discover new sounds and stuff like that...
But i just want to know if some one has already tried it and if its worth a try.

By the way, do you know some exciting new ways to make cool sounds with acoustic drums... Or with something else?

Thanks and sorry for my bad english =)

Its done all the time, probably the most used combo, Aquarain - classic clear over classic clear, Evans - g1 over g1, Remo - ambassador over ambassador. With good tuning using single ply over single ply is the warmest, fullest and most resonant sound you can get. All other types of heads like coated, dots, 2 ply, hydraulic, etc, etc, all remove one thing or another from the sound which enhances something else in the remaining tones.

A bottom head is a bottom head because it’s on the bottom of a drum. With the exception of heads like snare-side heads, any head can go on top or bottom. Try some different combinations and let us know what you’ve discovered sound-wise.

Drums used to come with batter weight heads all the time,like coated ambassadors on toms,top and bottom,same with Ludwig weathermasters,coated top and bottom.

Steve B

For some reason, Evans makes a line of heads specificaly as resontate heads. But this isn't the norm.

I think a more important question, and perhaps the one you're actually asking, is whether or not a head thicker than the traditional single ply could work.

The answer is yes, but the sound will be different so you will have to experiment on whether or not you like that new sound. There was a Bob Gatzen video out there where he demonstrates the difference among a few different heads as resonate heads. I couldn't find it with a quick search.

Personally, I use the Evans Power Center on both batter and resonate side and I love the sound. The Remo equivlent is the Controlled Sound head, which is more well known (the heads with a black dot in the middle).

I have definitely used what are considered to be batter heads on top and bottom. Really depends on the sound you want. Keep in mind the thicker the resonant head, the thicker the tone. (ie more mass for the air to move) ... I would even try and put Pinstripes on the bottom and tops .. just to see what it sounds like. Then put a G1 on top and bottom and then try a G2 on top and bottom. Again you will start to see the importance of a reso head to your sound.

Do a video recording of this experiment and use a Drumdial or similar product. This will help you keep the heads tensioned properly. I am sure you are great at tuning drums, but a tympanic tension meter (aka drum tuner) will help you tune all three pairings to one relative tension. This way you will get a better idea as to what each pairing sounds like in relation to each other. Recording a video will also allow you to step away from the sound from a drummers perspective and put you in an observers ears. What we hear behind the kit and what we hear out front are entirely different things!

In the end whatever sounds good to you is the way you should go!

Yes I'm one of them few! I think most drummers are used to play with that head combination.

In fact, I have a Remo Smooth White Ambassador (single-ply) as batter and resonant heads on the snare drum...Take time and patience to do the tuning (ears & feel) approach, experiment with the sound, the result is a brilliant - lovely - warmth feel. Don't be afraid and do it! That way you will get to know the instrument (drums) much better.

Hi!
Is there some one that have ever tried to use a batter (Top) head on both sides?
=)

Back