Bare Feet, Socks or Shoes?

Re: What are the best shoes to play bass drum with?

I play barefoot or with 'grip socks' usually.

However, I have played in Doc Marten's (excellent for heavy work, great ankle support) sneakers (which I personally don't like playing in anymore) and dress shoes I have to wear for school.

I actually find jazz easier to play in the dress shoes, as I can do toe-heel work far more efficiently with the slight heel of the shoe.

Sox or ANY flat and thin soled shoe.The skateboard version of Nike "dunks" are really good. They grip when you want them to, slide when you want them to.

I took this thread from OFF TOPIC to GEAR.

I really think it's useful - even if you play barefoot.....

Here a Steve Gadd shot (private Drummerworld-Exclusive by Alex Solca). That's what the master wears when SoundChecking and practicing.... the gig perhabs he needs something black.... What label is this, any idea???

See also the Hi-Hat Stand..not really Yamaha...lol

Bernhard

Attachments

• Stevegaddshoes.jpg
    Stevegaddshoes.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 4,429
Last edited:

jamsjr44 said:
Obviously you've never tried playing in workboots or dress shoes with hard wood or rubber bottoms with little or no flex?
Alot of pro's use light footwear when they play.

Go check out Paul Elliot's video on Drummerworld. He's got a mighty fast right foot, and he plays ALL THE TIME in giant heavy workboots. Probably something to do with being from Newcastle Upon Tyne. In my year at Drumtech there was a Swiss guy who took to describing Paul's footware as "L' Clef Merde" (apologies for mis-spelling, not a french speaker) meaning something like "S*** stompers".

Last edited by a moderator:

Bernhard said:

Here a Steve Gadd shot (private Drummerworld-Exclusive by Alex Solca). That's what the master wears when SoundChecking and practicing.... the gig perhabs he needs something black.... What label is this, any idea???

Bernhard

Those be a pair of Nikes. LOL at the Hi-Hat stand, I wonder if his rep has seen that...

Bernhard said:

Bernhard

I think that is a pair of Nike Presto's. I've played with them on, they're pretty good. It's really lightweight, it feels like a thick sock on top with a rubber sole at the bottom.

I used to wear any type of shoes when playing drums, but I year ago I bought a pair of Puma's and just loved how they felt. My feet are free to do whatever they want, such a pair of flexible shoes... and recently I bought another pair :p

Yeah I find barefoot comfortable to play.

I'm usually barefoot around the house, but I go for a very light shoe. Puma Trainers are my favorite. Thomas Lang uses them as well, except his are red and mine are black so I can gig with them.

BUT....

No matter what apparel are on your feet you should be able to adapt no matter what. Same goes with the pedal. You should always learn to adapt to anything.

I've been using worn in New Balance Encap's for a while now and i think they're great... thinking about getting a pair of light sneakers though, anyone tried out those new Nike Free's? Oh, and for the record... sandals are def. the worst footwear (for heal up at least).

-Mario

I go barefoot because it feels great, and i have more control. Also i have no choice but to go barefoot because i have size 16 shoe and my shoe gets stuck in the pedal.

When I beginned drums I was playing with Timberlands..; hum bad idea..
Somtimes, I was playing with "dress shoes" (some really really nice Bowen :) and I find so cool, that I always keeped them to play :)
One year after, my "nices" shoes that I needed to wear at my scool was "done" (R.I.P)
(my mother was uppset: 200euros...).
So I played again with my Timberlands. :_(

at one time I was playing with the same shoes on the picture with S.Gadd on it.. Nike's prestos. 'Was cool :D

...and one day I tried barefoot... Since, I never play with out my favourite socks ;)

finnhiggins said:
Go check out Paul Elliot's video on Drummerworld. He's got a mighty fast right foot, and he plays ALL THE TIME in giant heavy workboots. Probably something to do with being from Newcastle Upon Tyne. In my year at Drumtech there was a Swiss guy who took to describing Paul's footware as "L' Clef Merde" (apologies for mis-spelling, not a french speaker) meaning something like "S*** stompers".

LOL yeah we call it "Ecrase-merde" (S*** Stomper), but I prefer "Ramasse-merde"=S***-Collect(or?)

Last edited by a moderator:

K!lly said:
When I beginned drums I was playing with Timberlands..; hum bad idea..
Somtimes, I was playing with "dress shoes" (some really really nice Bowen :) and I find so cool, that I always keeped them to play :)
One year after, my "nices" shoes that I needed to wear at my scool was "done" (R.I.P)
(my mother was uppset: 200euros...).
So I played again with my Timberlands. :_(

I was playing with timberlands for about 3 years....I think it got my feet faster :p

maybe, but for me only the "feel" count....
and I didn't like playing with my Timb's

and I play with my hole legs so its doesn't change anything for me ;)

[I'm just liing, in order to have the last word :p]

haha timberlands. Man that would be rough. The best shoe I've played with is any of the pumas cause the ones i had, molded to my feet perfectly and it was a feather weight so it was awesome.

Something light. I go with converses. Try to learn to adapt to all circumstances though.

So I went out lookin for a pair of grip socks right. I went to walmart, sportchek, footlocker, and none of them sell grip socks. WHERE CAN I FIND EM?

I'm a Drummer who believes in detailed technical drumming, and footwear are just as important as the type of sticks I'm using for the score. And being adaptive to anything as a Drummer is also very important, I just try to minimize having to do so.

Set the drums & pedals up too you................not you to it!

Back