Axis Beater Question!

Artemis

I am going to buy some Axis A-L2 Black double pedals soon. I wanted to increase my speed while playing metal so I figured that these were the pedals according to popular opinion. There's one thing I am curious about. I have heard a lot of people say that they find the Axis pedals very light. So here is my question: could I just switch out the Axis beaters for heavier beaters like DW or Slugs etc.? This would increase the pedal weight, correct? This isn't going to prevent me from buying the pedals I am just wondering how I could change the weight of the pedal if I so choose and if I do indeed find them a bit light.

Cheers, and any opinion about the Axis are welcomed. I am very excited to get some new pedals so any tips on Axis pedals will help. thanks.

AXIS SONIC HAMMER beater is heavier than SLUG and DW beaters... if that's the beater you plan on getting w/your AXIS.

Putting a weight on the beater(s) won't change the pedals feel, they'll still be light feeling.

Its a combination of using 1/4" bearings and small, light weight aluminum parts that makes AXIS light pedals, You really can't make them feel heavy.

Light and heavy are very relative terms, but you do have a lot of range of adjustment in the A pedals with the variable drive lever. Les, I'm not sure why you think beater weight doesn't affect feel of the pedal?

The Axis pedals are so light, in fact, that they actually make your body noticeably lighter...from all that money you just gave them.

Popular opinion says that Axis and other high end pedals will make you faster. It's just that, an opinion. Practice is what will help you become a better double bass player.

I'm not knocking Axis pedals by any means, I'm only encouraging you to go to a music store and head to the drum department and sit down with all of the pedals for an hour. Don't let the sales guys tell you "Everyone buys this one" or "You'll be faster with this", choose what suits you the best for feel, sound and price.

I actually play Axis X pedals with the 2 sided DW beaters, and I couldnt ask for a better combo. Nice solid feel, and with the amount of adjustability of the Axis pedals, you can make them feel as light as if there wasnt a beater on there, or as heavy as if you had a brick tied to them.
And I will stress this an unbelieveable amount.....They arent going to feel perfect the first time you play them out of the box. It will prolly take between a week or 3 to completely figure out the settings, the beater angles, the spring tensions, etc. before they feel perfect to you. In fact, you may get pi$$ed and want to return them...DONT! Dont get discouraged, or disappointed. Just keep playing around, making adjustments, until you find that perfect setting. Once you do, WRITE IT DOWN! That way, in case something gets knocked out of whack, you have something to reference, and can easily get right back to your optimal position. Hopefully, any of this ramble helps. Good luck, fellow Axis brother.

I actually play Axis X pedals with the 2 sided DW beaters, and I couldnt ask for a better combo. Nice solid feel, and with the amount of adjustability of the Axis pedals, you can make them feel as light as if there wasnt a beater on there, or as heavy as if you had a brick tied to them.
And I will stress this an unbelieveable amount.....They arent going to feel perfect the first time you play them out of the box. It will prolly take between a week or 3 to completely figure out the settings, the beater angles, the spring tensions, etc. before they feel perfect to you. In fact, you may get pi$$ed and want to return them...DONT! Dont get discouraged, or disappointed. Just keep playing around, making adjustments, until you find that perfect setting. Once you do, WRITE IT DOWN! That way, in case something gets knocked out of whack, you have something to reference, and can easily get right back to your optimal position. Hopefully, any of this ramble helps. Good luck, fellow Axis brother.

Thanks, this is EXACTLY the kind of thing I was looking for! A guy who knows what he is talking about because he has played the pedals, whilst still giving an honest - almost unbiased - opinion and including some tips for the pedals. But also thanks to everyone who replied so far, you helped a bit as well.

Les, I'm not sure why you think beater weight doesn't affect feel of the pedal?

Depends on what level you're at playing wise.

A heavy beater on a light pedal, a light beater on a heavy feeling pedal. To me they're two distinctly different feels.

I started playing AXIS pedals in the early 90's just switched back to chain drive this year. If you put a heavy beater on an AXIS, (to me) its still going to be a light pedal, just with a heavy beater. Where the balance of weight is on a pedal directly influences its feel.

A heavy beater on a light pedal means the weight is going to be at the top, its a different feel than the weight being more towards the center (cam/shaft).

Most drummers are still figuring out what weight balance works for them, hence pedal A works for 'Tom', but is not liked by 'Sally' etc. This weight balance/positioning changes with set-ups, playing styles, corporeal adjustments/changes.

If you commit your life to one (style of) pedal, you're going to limited to what that pedals 'allows' you to do. When you get a new pedal 99% of the conforming is done by the human, not the pedal, its limited comparatively and its limitation becomes your limitation.

Back