Aquarian Heads..Overall Head Help!

hmm have never tried the ones with rings. i usually just cut moongel to size for whatever im recording and then throw it away afterwards

Right now I have classic clears on the bottom and texture coated on the top.
I'm pretty happy with them. Lots of attack, and very warm sounding.

I want to re-head my other kit, and I plan on getting clear response 2s on top with classic clear on the bottom.

Hi! performance II heads while not being the best suited for "singing toms" are really nice, and with proper tuning can be super low and have attack or high and have lots of attack. You might want to look into the the new force 10 series. They seem like they might be able to really open up, but i have to agree with everyone here based on experience, classic clears probably fit what you want.
this might help, they sound a little bit like real life, so i suggest only using this as a foundation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot31HbyOlWE

I like the Response 2 and Texture Coated the best from that vid. But I've only ever used the SuperKick 2.

Studio-X coated with dot are what I prefer from Aquarian. They're single ply, the dot gives some durability and you cannot beat Aquarian's coating. It lasts forever and elmininates the unwanted overtones. I find these heads really let the drum's fundamental note come through and they tune up very well and easily. I highly recommend them with Classic Clear on resonant side.

Last night I just covered my toms with Aquarian Single Ply Texture coated heads on top and Classic Clear Reso's on bottom.

Today I'm going to spend the time to fine tune them but I can tell already these are working much better than the equivalent Remo heads for me.

I'm becoming more and more Aquarian as time moves on.

the thing is people see aquarian as a cheap version of remo & evans, what they don't realise is it's just a better version that costs less
the less people that buy them the less likely prices are to rise so its all good

Last night I just covered my toms with Aquarian Single Ply Texture coated heads on top and Classic Clear Reso's on bottom.

Today I'm going to spend the time to fine tune them but I can tell already these are working much better than the equivalent Remo heads for me.

I'm becoming more and more Aquarian as time moves on.

There is no escape! Luke, you do not yet realize.You've only begun to discover your power! If only you knew the power of the Dark Side. Search your feelings, you know it to be true! It is your destiny! Join me, and together, we can rule the galaxy! Come with me. It is the only way. lol

There is no escape! Luke, you do not yet realize.You've only begun to discover your power! If only you knew the power of the Dark Side. Search your feelings, you know it to be true! It is your destiny! Join me, and together, we can rule the galaxy! Come with me. It is the only way. lol

Too funny...............

I just picked up a couple of clear Performance 2 heads for my 13" and 16" toms. I wouldn't say they were any cheaper. They had a set of these heads on a Rockstar kit at GC and they sounded great. I'd say they're perfect if you want something in between an EC2 and a Pinstripe. I have a Texture Coated Aquarian on one of my snares too and I'm sure I'll get a Super-Kick 2 when I can afford one. I'm liking these Aquarian heads.

Last edited:
yeah, i pretty much only use an SKII, sometimes an SKI.
i can get the heads cheap down Denmark Street, and they're always in stock so it's pretty good.

Or a super kick 1...lol
I like and use both the SKI and SKII bass drum heads.
I also am a big fan of the Remo Powerstroke series heads for both bass and snare.

The SK heads last and last on my bass drums.

I like and use both the SKI and SKII bass drum heads.
The SK heads last and last on my bass drums.

I am a big fan of Aquarian and am sure all their heads are as durable as the single ply I use but I just dont care for the sound and feel of 2 ply heads. I find the feel a bit dead and the sound muffled and thin compared to the full tone I can get from a single ply.

Back