Anyone actually PREFER nontraditional sizes and/or setups?

I replaced my 12" rack tom with a 14" floor tom. Now I'm running one up/2 down of 14"/15"/16.
I usually play with everything flat (ala Travis Barker), so the floor-tom-as-a-rack-tom seems to work really well.

Combine this with my 22" diameter x20" deep virgin kick and I'm going all "power toms of the 80's" again.

I'll probably change it by years end just because I can't leave well enough alone, but for now I'm having fun with it.

I also have a custom built cocktail kit that I play standing up for my Rockabilly gigs. The "BassTom" is 2 floor toms put together so it's 16" x 23" deep. Gets lots of looks when I set it up on stage.

I prefer a big bass drum and small toms. So here is my favorite setup, which I do not currently have, but I am working on it.

22x16
10x7
14x12
13x6 (snare)

I have the snare and 10x7 tom. I hope to have the rest before the end of the year. Peace and goodwill.

As a jazz drummer, I try to use the most traditional sizes possible (20" bass, 12" tom, 14" floor tom, and 14" snare). A lot of jazz drummers suggest using smaller sizes for a "lighter feel", but i disagree, i think regular sizes can be good for any style.

Back