Anybody here watching/bidding on the Ringo Starr auction?

Kind of hope at the end they will announce it all goes to charity or something...

I think the deal is that the charity donation comes off the hammer price, so this is just Julien's making money to handle the promotion and web listings, which they've done very well. Should they be getting 20%, or 25%+20% of that? For 10% I'd have been happy to run it (into the ground!)

So far, I haven't been outbid, but the auction's far from over.

Bermuda

I think the deal is that the charity donation comes off the hammer price, so this is just Julien's making money to handle the promotion and web listings, which they've done very well. Should they be getting 20%, or 25%+20% of that? For 10% I'd have been happy to run it (into the ground!)

So far, I haven't been outbid, but the auction's far from over.

Bermuda

Cool... hope to see you get his kit :)

Yeah, I think that's right, and I'm sure it was a ton of work to organize all of this stuff into lots with descriptions and so on. This will raise a fortune for charity.

Yesterday was mostly art, home decoration, furniture, and jewelry. The biggest number by far was $180k for Patek Philippe watch. For today, they still have to get through more furniture and home decoration before they get to the good stuff.

Most of my bids have been outbid, but I'm still live on a couple of items. Hope I'm not bidding against you, Bermuda.

Eh, lost the bidding overnight, it was on the Blaemire concert toms. :) A modest bid, I would have been really surprised if I won, but ya never know... You can't win if you don't play!

Does anyone have further information on the Premier Mahogany Duroplastic kit? All I know is that it probably is not Ringo's original kit he played before going Ludwig. But I've read that the auction company has no information as to how or when Ringo acquired the kit or it's age, etc?

Looks like his career items start at 2pm PST today.. should be interesting.. alot of the stuff yesterday went cheaper than i would have thought.. and some stuff went insanely high.. like a star shaped blue satin pillow.. went for around $500.. and looked like something you could make in a hour.. just wtf :)

man this is starting to get crazy... so jealous of some of the stuff i can't have here:)

I thoroughly perused the catalog. I liked the bongos with the broken head and some of the suits and shirts and item 898.

The prices on the kits seem really low. Are those opening bids?

Bought by Jim Irsay, owner of the NFL's Indianapolis Colts.
He also bought the Sullivan show bd head last month.

Wow, I didn't know it was the same guy who bought the iconic drumhead. Same guy, same price. I was watching it live online. Amazing.

He also bought Les Paul's "Tech's" original Black Beauty that Les Paul finally gave to him the last time he went over it and gave the guitar a tune and such. He paid about $600,000 for that Les Paul. I honestly thought it would go much higher.

In this case, I think a single drum head was over valued, and the set probably undervalued.

20-25% over auction price is ridiculous. 10% max, IMO!

Well, considering the same guy bought the head and drum set, including auction fees the whole kit went for ~$5M dollars (US). Pretty insane.

All relative.. i had honestly thought that someone like gates or balmer would pony up 5m+ it's not like there will be another british invasion.. or another drum kit that changed music :)

Flicking through that catalogue, it's clear that Ringo has awful taste in clothes. I hope people don't think Scousers dress like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I don't know much about Bill Gates personal life at all, does anyone except his family? He's a very private person I think, however, I have never heard of him being a big music fan. The only thing I know about his hobbies, are he has a big a$$ yacht, I am pretty sure, and a big house, and I am sure whatever vehicles he wants. But I have never heard of him being a Ferrari guy either. Ehhh, 1%ers, they are all pretty much alike, just different toys.

In that bracket Tommy, you can do smart things with your money and still have play money. It's like a big pile of cash that never runs dry if you aren't the stupidest guy on the planet. Gates isn't.

Back