Any songs where you can play the notes, but getting the feel is still difficult?

As far as examples of punk vs gospel, here goes:
Yea, they are both what I would call a fast "two step" beat. Shout has some different chords and the Hammond B3, which totally change up the feel. I'd be out of the band if my director called on us to do a praise break.😅 I don't have that gift of groove, but if I woke up one morning and discovered that I did have it, I would be thrilled. :cool: :love:

Some of Chris Layton's SRV shuffles were like that as well years ago.....playing the notes, but it was more about the notes being the guide and the feel being the real star of how you applied those notes to the song.......
I know exactly what you mean about Chris Layton. My band used to cover Cold Shot. What I wanted to get : lazy left-hand accents, doubles, and groove. What I got: Godzilla stomping on buildings.

I find a lot of Carlton Barrett very hard to cop, also Jamie Oldaker on Wonderful Tonight. Lee Kerslake on the outro of Crazy Train(what the heck is he doing?)

Dan

I know exactly what you mean about Chris Layton. My band used to cover Cold Shot. What I wanted to get : lazy left-hand accents, doubles, and groove. What I got: Godzilla stomping on buildings.

I find a lot of Carlton Barrett very hard to cop, also Jamie Oldaker on Wonderful Tonight. Lee Kerslake on the outro of Crazy Train(what the heck is he doing?)

Dan

Yup, used to cover that same song as well........about 30years ago, first few times through I was like "something is just not right"..... learned his feel and there isn't a shuffle that really freaks me out at this point......at least of the common styles etc.

Yea, they are both what I would call a fast "two step" beat. Shout has some different chords and the Hammond B3, which totally change up the feel. I'd be out of the band if my director called on us to do a praise break.😅 I don't have that gift of groove, but if I woke up one morning and discovered that I did have it, I would be thrilled. :cool: :love:

Man, I love that 2-step gospel music so much better than the modern praise and worship that's done in churches now. I remember playing these 2-step gospel songs in a little mountain church I used go to. I remember thinking, "Man, if I hadn't learned all of those Goldfinger songs, I'd be up the creek right now!"

You ever play songs where you can play the notes but you struggle with the feel of the song?
This sounds to me a little like over thinking it, if you can play the notes then it should be just a matter of finding the proper speed, yes sometimes too fast or too slow can kill the groove of a song. In the guitar world you constantly hear "its not the song it's the fingers" meaning you could know the exact notes played but you will play it differently because you are not that person... I disagree with that statement.
If you could eliminate all the variables (amps, pedals pickups and such) then the only difference would be how long or short you would sustain the notes which is what gives guitar parts their "feel".
It must be very similar with drums.

Cissy Strut for me.

I can play the notes, and almost have the feel. Definitely a tricky one to really nail.

Some of Chris Layton's SRV shuffles were like that as well years ago.....playing the notes, but it was more about the notes being the guide and the feel being the real star of how you applied those notes to the song.......

Agreed. I can play the notes just fine, but it still sounds nothing like Chris Layton.

Jeff Porcoarro, same thing. And to an extent, Stan Lynch with Tom Petty. The notes are easy, but getting to feel like a million dollars is difficult.

you have to know where all that music and drum beats came from and once you do that you will be in the same position as all those drummers were (are..
It's only human
there's a deep history to every beat (some do and may appear to be "off the chart"...
But for 99% your job is to find it and incorporate it

Agreed. I can play the notes just fine, but it still sounds nothing like Chris Layton.

Jeff Porcoarro, same thing. And to an extent, Stan Lynch with Tom Petty. The notes are easy, but getting to feel like a million dollars is difficult.
!00% this. We do "Free Falling"... I'm not a massive fan of Tom Petty, (always thought his stuff to be overrated & fairly "simple" pop-rock), but it's actually pretty difficult to nail the groove to make OUR version authentic-ish.

The older I get playing in a "Covers" band, the more I appreciate drummers playing genres that I'd previously dismissed as too simplistic or even pretty dull :oops:.

The deeper I dig, the more I realise that it's actually MORE difficult to play the right thing at the right time, rather than play fast, flashy & inappropriate fills to embellish that which doesn't NEED to be embellished.

One of these days, I'll try a rehearsal session with BD, SN, HH & 1 Tom to see if I really NEED the 5/6/7 piece kit...:rolleyes:

You don't. Unless it's a visual impact thing. I practice on a 4 piece and have to readjust doing live work with an added tom.

A lot of 70s and 80s stuff is tricky. Musicianship and composition was pretty complex compared to other era's.

Reactions: GSL
Like for me, when I first started playing country music, I could play the notes with no issue. However, I was a rock drummer playing country music. I struggled with how to make it feel right.
That's exactly what I experienced. I played Rock from 1970 til 1990 and thought I could play anything LOL. 1990 I started playing country, making it feel right was the hard part, the mechanics of it was very simple.

I had to work hard to sound authentic playing country music when I first started. Basic four-on-the-floor required a different touch. Then there's the train beat. Soooooo many variations on how you can make that feel. And not all of them are good.

One song in particular I have struggled with (and it's not a country song!) is Clapton's 'Wonderful Tonight.' Easy notes, challenging feel, especially if the band isn't feeling it just right.
I love oldakers feels. Grew up studying him. I love him on claptons “i shot the sheriff”.

I had to work hard to sound authentic playing country music when I first started. Basic four-on-the-floor required a different touch. Then there's the train beat. Soooooo many variations on how you can make that feel. And not all of them are good.

One song in particular I have struggled with (and it's not a country song!) is Clapton's 'Wonderful Tonight.' Easy notes, challenging feel, especially if the band isn't feeling it just right.
God yes...it reminds me of listening to Steve Gadd on his first video saying you've got to MAKE yourself wait..2 doesn't come that soon after one. That line penetrated my little brain. I loved that it was coming from the man himself. Wonderful Tonight is the perfect tune to zone in on Gadds suggestion.

Cold Shot is the toughest shuffle I can think of. I think I've nailed it all of twice in my life, and that was also partly due to the bassist laying it down right where Tommy Shannon did.

But my first thought was the Black Crowes version of Hard to Handle. Steve Gorman's backbeat is SO far back.

Back