Agop "Mantra" ride

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
So I've sort of been chasing jazz cymbal tones for a few years now. I got a Mantra ride like 2 years ago and I just love this thing to death. To me it is definitely a quintessential jazz ride tone. I'm no expert on jazz ride tones, but I know what I like, and I really dig this Mantra

I was wondering if anyone else out there in drummerland uses one

I did have to use a little tape, as the wash can definitely get overpowering. But the bell is THE best bell I ever owned (and ever heard). It crashes like a dream too, exactly what I want in a ride crash. It's very complex and it yields many many unique tones depending on how I touch it with the stick. If I want a washy cymbal, it does that too...a little too good. But tape puts it right where I want it. I used to be against the tape thing, but I do what I gotta do for the results I'm after.

So anyone rocking Mantra rides?

Here's a taste:

That does sound good. And I can understand the tape, depending on the room acoustics. Definitely makes me want this next in my collection. I have one large Istanbul ride that I never play, so I forget the model.

I've been loving Istanbul cymbals I don't have a mantra though I've got a couple mehmets a 21' Turk jazz sizzle that I really enjoy and some Sahra hats. Really want to pick up a 26" ride.

I really dig the Agops. I had a nice Mehmet hi hat set, but I don't have any hands on with any other Mehmets. The Turks know their cymbals. I love that all my Istanbul rides have great bells and crash perfectly, in addition to their great ride tone. I wouldn't use the Mantra for my gigs though. It's more of a lower volume small venue or recording cymbal. It's nuance would mostly get lost with a loud band IMO. My Agop crashes open up pretty quick. Good for recording but I like a crash with a little longer bloom for my gigs. I just really enjoy them in my studio.

The machine hammered Xists...really great sounding budget cymbals. I like Xist rides more than the Xist crashes.

Last edited:
That Mantra sounds great! It sounds better than the 22" Zildjian Constantinople Medium I had, which had even more overtones and wash. It would develop a "roar" of wash when played louder than mezzo forte, and all definition would be lost. The Mantra is dryer and more controlled, and I love the bell sound as well.

The perfect ride cymbal is so elusive. You can get a great wash, great sick definition, or a great bell, but never all 3 at the same time.

I have a 21" Paiste signature power ride with the most amazing bell but the cymbal itself has an overtone that goes forever, it's not noticeable with loud amps.
The thing is that after playing the bell on that no other ride bell does it for me like that.

I really dig the Agops. I had a nice Mehmet hi hat set, but I don't have any hands on with any other Mehmets. The Turks know their cymbals. I love that all my Istanbul rides have great bells and crash perfectly in addition to their great ride tone. I wouldn't use the Mantra for my gigs though. It's more of a lower volume small venue or recording cymbal. It's nuance would mostly get lost with a loud band IMO. My Agop crashes open up pretty quick. Good for recording but I like a crash with a little longer bloom for my gigs. I just really enjoy them in my studio.

The machine hammered Xists...really great sounding budget cymbals. I like Xist rides more than the Xist crashes.
My 15" sahra hats are pretty quiet. Live I use A custom 14 hats and 20 ride. Nothing really special about them but they're solid all around so I guess that in itself is special. At home I love dry and dark, the Turks are really good at that.

So I've sort of been chasing jazz cymbal tones for a few years now. I got a Mantra ride like 2 years ago and I just love this thing to death. To me it is definitely a quintessential jazz ride tone. I'm no expert on jazz ride tones, but I know what I like, and I really dig this Mantra

I was wondering if anyone else out there in drummerland uses one

I did have to use a little tape, as the wash can definitely get overpowering. But the bell is THE best bell I ever owned (and ever heard). It crashes like a dream too, exactly what I want in a ride crash. It's very complex and it yields many many unique tones depending on how I touch it with the stick. If I want a washy cymbal, it does that too...a little too good. But tape puts it right where I want it. I used to be against the tape thing, but I do what I gotta do for the results I'm after.

So anyone rocking Mantra rides?

Here's a taste:

You mention chasing this sound for jazz but they were developed to cut through Cindy's playing w Kravits. I play rock music and have been eying this ride for some time. I need a ride with a good/ great bell, decent stick definition (not too pingy) and definitely something I could crash on. In your experience does the the 22" mantra for this bill? Thanks

You mention chasing this sound for jazz but they were developed to cut through Cindy's playing w Kravits. I play rock music and have been eying this ride for some time. I need a ride with a good/ great bell, decent stick definition (not too pingy) and definitely something I could crash on. In your experience does the the 22" mantra for this bill? Thanks
@Larry hasn’t been active on here for a while unfortunately (we miss you @Larry ) but @Chris Whitten recently posted a thread demoing this very cymbal which peaked my interest! I’m warming up my wallet for a possible future purchase! :D (y)

I'm not crashing my Mantra.
I'm not sure there is a ride that perfectly blends washy crashing with stick definition. That's why I often play with two rides.
The Mantra has more rock/pop definition than the Aaron Sterling, but the Sterling crash-rides very well.

Back