Accidentally hitting rims and sticks while playing

But I like to hit occasional rimshots on toms and even accidental ones don't bother me. The greatest drummers of all time are on recordings where they clicked rims and sticks.

I personally love the mistakes like these in live performances. Its just real that way.
Greatest or not, mistakes are part of every live performance

Not sure anybody ever noticed the mistake at about 1:27 of this great one (hits adjacent ride cymbal by accident).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9-42mu1D9Y

We all hit rims on occasion.The single best example of this is a Buddy Rich vid on youtube(sorry no link) where he disses matched grip,and then plays a solo and hits his mounted toms rim.He then stops, says "sh*t", and just tears it up.

Joe Morello told me to be more accurate and hit your rims less,take a quarter(US,sorry I don't know the coin equivilant,about 1 inch in diameter) and put it in the middle of your practice pad.Take a permenant marker and draw a circle around it,then color it in.Thats your bullseye.

This could be applied to the whole kit if you wanted to I suppose,giving to a point of reference on all your drums.:)

Steve B

Sounds fine, but conversely, If you are trying to hit exactly the same point with both sticks during a single stroke roll it would be almost impossible not to click them? The faster you get the more probable the impact would become. I think?

Been reading this with mucho interest as I am working on my solos. I'm having the stick hit problem and it can be pretty bad. I once clicked the sticks together and let go of one, which flew up and hit me in the mouth, chipping a tooth. You don't want this in performance.

I agree with the guys who say that practise and precision is the answer. Not practising rudiments but practising being fluid in your playing, stringing phrases together in practise helps when you come to do the performance, it's like having them all stacked up and ready to put together. I agree rehearsed solos can sound awful if you just run through the hits, you have to work it up from that.

What I am working on now is control. Making sure I know where each stick is going next. I seem to make most mistakes when I'm suddenly not sure where the next stroke is going to go, like when you change tempo and you miscount it. I think practising with a view to gain fluency is the answer here. I hope it is because that's what I am doing.
If I set the metronome a little bit too fast and practise with that, when I slow it down again it seems easier and that makes me feel more in control, with fewer mishits.

I personally love the mistakes like these in live performances. Its just real that way.
Greatest or not, mistakes are part of every live performance

Not sure anybody ever noticed the mistake at about 1:27 of this great one (hits adjacent ride cymbal by accident).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9-42mu1D9Y

A little of track here, but after watching this clip I forgotten how much JB worked his hats. I wonder how many high hat stands he went through in his time. :)

I agree with the comments on control and practicing solos..
Hitting rims for me is usually about not having control, being amped up trying to play things that are fast and complicated that I normally don't play very much in comparison to everything else I play.. I may work on a lick or something but rarely a solo..

Rim hits are usually because I'm playing too hard or to fast for relaxed muscle memory to be there.. If I cared enough to try to make it never happen I would practice soloing a lot..

You can't get good at something you don't do very often... But that said,, All the greats hit rims now and again...

Back